Sign in to follow this  
Orom0709

Audio options when watching cable

I would like to have the audio come form my TV when watching TV, news, sorts etc...I don't care to have the audio come from my surround system for TV watching. 

Can this be done? I only want the revicever to process the audio when watching movies and listening to music.

Thank you

Do you watch movies on your cable box?

im assuming all video is looping thru your AVR. Make sure it has the pass thru function enabled. Simply binding the cable box directly to the TV in composer should do the trick. 

Other wise there are ways around tricking it like setting video audio end point to tv and then using the listen option for DVD instead of watch

you can do 2 different sources working differently. your cable box connect to TV directly. Bluray, Apple TV, etc. through amp. it should work. as well I did few times some stuff when I dedicated PG up and PG down buttons to control volume of amp. in that case you can control vol. of your tv with Vol+ and Vol - buttons and Amp's volume with PG up and PG down buttons. some programming needs to be done. but it works.

1 hour ago, vitali said:

I did few times some stuff when I dedicated PG up and PG down buttons to control volume of amp. in that case you can control vol. of your tv with Vol+ and Vol - buttons and Amp's volume with PG up and PG down buttons. some programming needs to be done. but it works.

There are far easier ways to accomplish this - even more so with a receiver in place. Not to mention losing pg up and down for use and/or double commands.

Regardless - the system CAN handle this - but the 'right' method depends completely on how things are wired, what rewiring options are available and the equipment in place. I could write out about 8 different possible methods though so let's get the info first.

Starting with:

-Is this a distributed system - in other words are all the sources in a central location

-is the receiver local or is it central

-Is the receiver feeding the TV, or is a matrix switch feeding the TV and the receiver separately

Thank you all for you suggestions.

My setup is as follows:

All equipment is in a racked in a closet.

I have my cable box connected to my OPPO HDMI input to take advantage of the Video processing of the OPPO 103D PLAYER. 

I have the HDMI OUT on the OPPO going to the HDMI in on the receiver and the main out on the receiver to my TV.

I hardly ever watch movies from the cable box.

throwing the oppo into the mix is gonna make it more difficult. DOes your AVR support HDMI passthru? easiest thing to do is hook the cable box up to the thru put (norally cbl/sat input) and just bind the box directly to the TV.  c4 will figure it out from there.  Or you could just use your surround you spent a lot of money on.  Other than than keeping the oppo in the mix will require some programming

Oppo 103D has dual HDMI outs - I'm unsure if ti wi output video on both, but if it does, the easiest way to do what you want is to take the second oppo out, feed it to the TV on a separate input. Do NOT let C4 know that's how it's wired, but instead C4 should be told the cable box is connected directly to that tv input. Then add programming to tun on the Oppo and set tit to the HDMI input.