C4 Forums | Control4

What are Roku IP drivers for?

elee532

Can someone help me understand what are Roku IP and Roku IP Channels drivers that are listed on the HouseLogix website? Are these drivers that my dealer will install by default when setting up a Roku on a Control4 EA-1 system. Or, do I need to request that the dealer install them? Is there some type of functionality that they ad?

I use my Rokus predominantly for Netflix/Hulu+/Amazon and maybe a few other applications. I'll probably be using the Control4 iOS for controlling things most of the time.

Thanks!

There are TWO IP drivers - both work similar. The one on houselogix is primarily for use if you're using KODI with Chowmain's driver.

The channels are added if you want - how much your dealer does normally will depend...on your dealer, but these are essentially shortcut buttons to go directly to those services.

Thanks Cyknight! I do plan to use Chowmain's Kodi Driver. Pardon my newbie questions...

So, I can still use the C4 to control the Roku without the driver. But, if I add the driver I can go right to services such as Netflix? I could definitely see liking this functionality.

HouseLogix shows TWO Roku drivers. Both by HTI Customers. One called Roku IP and the other Roku IP Channels. The former says login to view pricing and the other says free. Any idea what the difference is? Would you happen to know/can you say what the price is of the one that costs?

I suppose I should just reach out to HouseLogix directly on this. Thanks!!

To be clear, BOTH the C4 AND the HTI drivers offer the 'channel' option - the different two drivers you see are the 'main' control driver and the secondary 'channel' drivers - they work in conjunction.

I mixed things up though - Rokus don't 'do' KODI - that's for PLEX. I'm assuming you have separate players for KODI then - while I have no desire to undermine HTI's effort - it doesn't make sense to use their driver then, just use Control4's OWN driver(s).

To explain the use a bit - you need a 'main' driver to control the Roku - the 'channel' drivers work WITH the 'main' driver allowing you to have a little icon stating 'netflix' for example, which will slect the Roku as your source and open Netflix ON the Roku, allowing you to instantly drop into that service.

To be clear, BOTH the C4 AND the HTI drivers offer the 'channel' option - the different two drivers you see are the 'main' control driver and the secondary 'channel' drivers - they work in conjunction.

I mixed things up though - Rokus don't 'do' KODI - that's for PLEX. I'm assuming you have separate players for KODI then - while I have no desire to undermine HTI's effort - it doesn't make sense to use their driver then, just use Control4's OWN driver(s).

To explain the use a bit - you need a 'main' driver to control the Roku - the 'channel' drivers work WITH the 'main' driver allowing you to have a little icon stating 'netflix' for example, which will slect the Roku as your source and open Netflix ON the Roku, allowing you to instantly drop into that service.

The only reason to use the hti driver is for full integration of Alan's plex driver

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Thank you both. This clarifies things. I am running Kodi on a Windows 10 PC. I do like the ability to drop right into Netflix or other frequently used services. I understand now that I can do that with the native C4 driver. Excellent!

We're not bothered if people don't use our drivers. We offered a solution when one didn't exist. We've maintained, supported and updated the driver frequently and added features as the API allows. Does everyone need the little extras we've added over the past few months? No, but we sure think they are cool. 

One of the cool things about HTI's driver that Control4's doesn't have is the ability to determine what the current all is.  This is great for auto room on on YouTube app casting.  This one feature alone is worth it.

4 minutes ago, alanchow said:

One of the cool things about HTI's driver that Control4's doesn't have is the ability to determine what the current all is.  This is great for auto room on on YouTube app casting.  This one feature alone is worth it.

Would be better still if you could magically manage to get another ChromeCast driver working :ph34r:

Archived