C4 Forums | Control4

Alternative to Control4 Light Switches

Hello,

Am looking at some DIY stuff to install and then have the dealer (or remote programmer) come in and sync it.  The question I have now is regarding light switches.  I have searched for several minutes now and can't seem to find an adequate non-Control4 light switch to purchase.  Can any of you recommend some light switches available to the public that are compatible with Control4?

Thanks.

If you want to put them in yourself I don't see why you can't. Whatever dealer you buy them from should get the programming fee, but I don't see why they wouldn't sell you them. If someone came to me and said "I'd like to buy x number of lights and install them myself and have you come program it" it would make my day.  

If you have c4, you really should use c4 lighting. 

I'll give another positive review for Caseta. I have 28 dimmers, a few switches, a few lamp dimmers and a few Pico remotes and they all work flawlessly. I even have one switch in an outdoor weatherproof box controlling my pool light 100-150 yards from my controller/bridge and it works 100%. Some of the dealer's on here can give you specifics on what these can't to that c4 can (led colors come to mind). There is a max of 50 total devices per Bridge Pro. Make sure to get pro bridge and not normal one if you go this route. At $55 each ($60 with wall plate and Pico) these are pretty hard to beat. 

Too bad Lutron didn't just morph the Maestro Wireless line into Caseta.  Love the Maestro switches and dimmers, hate the multi button button Caseta style.  Personally, Caseta switches and dimmers are ugly and look bad in wall boxes with other devices.  

My Caseta passed the wife test because she likes the wall plates without screws. She didn't know about the other options, lol. As far as looks I rank them RadioRa2 > c4 > Caseta

13 hours ago, jmarenda said:

Hello,

Am looking at some DIY stuff to install and then have the dealer (or remote programmer) come in and sync it.  The question I have now is regarding light switches.  I have searched for several minutes now and can't seem to find an adequate non-Control4 light switch to purchase.  Can any of you recommend some light switches available to the public that are compatible with Control4?

Thanks.

Depending on where you live this might be worth looking into:

http://www.obloliving.com/

It is a direct integration via Zigbee, contact @DejanBg fir details

12 hours ago, vitali said:

Hi, about  Caseta. the dimmer I can buy in Home Depot but what about controller? how does it work? How many dimmers can control one bridge?

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/search.products.html#!p=0&q=Caseta Smart Bridge Pro%3Arelevance

Is it proper device?

Yes it is.. and that is a excellent price!!

I just did my first Lutron Caseta setup and it wasn't the greatest.

Was putting it into a showhome with no internet access. The smartbridge is painful to use in local demo mode and the firmware it came on from the factory did not support integration IDs, or even the lutron caseta smart dimmer pro (said dimmer not supported....) I had to yank it off site to firmware update it and the unit wouldn't take the firmware so that was an hour and a half on support with lutron, they basically had to remotely force it to take the firmware update. I originally specced the caseta dimmers and they would not dim certain LED loads even though the spec on them said it should have. The regular dimmers make a terrible hum when in use. Had to swap out all the dimmers for the dimmer pro which actually dimmed properly and didn't have the hum on the dimmer. Then the integration with the houselogix driver wouldn't work at first, then out of no where just started working correctly. I even feel like the Lutron Caseta dimmer pro model didn't ramp the LEDs as smoothly as a Control4 APD would have. Also not really a fan on the look of the dimmers. I wish it looked like a Maestro instead of the ugly 3 button thing they have going on. You will still need C4 Configurable Keypads to activate lighting scenes in an elegant way.

At the end of the day I realized why Control4's lighting is priced above the Caseta offering, the C4 product is VASTLY superior in every way. Probably won't be looking to go down this route again, but I guess at the end of the project I guess it did all work.

You have to have a dimmer with neutral to control LEDs properly. The great thing about Control4 dimmers is that both, the forward phasing, and adaptive phase dimmers, have neutral connections. Caseta is just an affordable compromise, but you can't beat Control4 when it comes to value and quality, if you have a C4 system.

Caseta has been great for me.

I am driving a 4000sqft house with a single Pro Bridge. Way over the recommendation. 

The only thing that has happened after I reached 16+ dimmers is sometimes the feedback is not accurate when activating a dimmer manually. No biggie. 

But since I use C4 keypads to call scenes, it works every time. 

I am even driving a MVL transformer with the lamp dimmer for kitchen cabinets LEDs. It works great.

These are the bulbs that I use at home. Great color and dimming range. It even works with only 1 bulb per dimmer.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-equivalent-1240lm-Daylight-Dimmable/dp/B00RMK05Y2/ref=sr_1_13?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1468340978&sr=1-13&keywords=hyperikon

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Dimmable-equivalent-Medium-ENERGY/dp/B00RMJZV6K/ref=sr_1_12?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1468340978&sr=1-12&keywords=hyperikon

Archived