C4 Forums | Control4

Custom Button Mapping per Source

Hi all, new C4 installer here just recently passed the the training and trying out a couple of things on own system at home.

Trying to override the default commands mapped to certain SR250 buttons when watching a particular source. For example when watching normal TV I want the the 'Prev' button to emit the TVs 'Return' command and not the 'Previous channel' command.

I want to do this on a per source device basis, so when watching TV certain buttons perform certain functions, when watching DVD those same buttons can be custom mapped to other functions etc. I know about the programmable colour buttons etc but want to be able to map commands to any button of my choosing. I am coming to C4 from having programmed RTI and so am used to having complete customisation facilities.

What's the easiest or most efficient way to achieve this. I have tried the following in programming, see attached image but does not seem to work.

Also, is there somewhere in Composer you can see exactly what commands have been mapped to each button by default or is it just a case of trying them out and trying to figure out which button does what. I appreciate most of them will be obvious but there are always a few buttons that don't quite match your expectations or requirements.

Screenshot 2016-07-12 07.42.08.png

14 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Oh my don't do that. You just create a loop! If you've just completed training - you should delete all knowledge of while statements right now....

Button mapping is done in the device driver, not via programming.

That's what I thought originally but I don't see any way of defining exactly which commands get mapped to which buttons. Obviously the common commands such as play/pause,stop etc and menus navigation will get mapped to the buttons with the symbols for those commands but how do you define which buttons other commands get mapped to or even visualise which commands have already been mapped to which buttons?

Visualize? That would be a matter of trying - learning codes to specific buttons is a matter of learning the code you want to the predefined 'standard' buttons that are in the list in the wizard.

Note that some of these predefined names are based on the original remote - for example ENTER/SELECT and RECALL/PREV

To make this more fun, more and more drivers are either "driverworks drivers" and cannot be edited by the wizard, or the new .c4z style driver format, which also can't be edited with Compsoer's Wizard.

Quite frankly, stay away from editing those until you're more familiar with it all.

So the only way to identify the actual commands assigned to each button is to test them out manually? That's a little strange to me, surely there must be some way of identifying within Composer precisely which device commands have been assigned to which SR250/260 buttons whether command name matches the button name or not?

So the only way to identify the actual commands assigned to each button is to test them out manually? That's a little strange to me, surely there must be some way of identifying within Composer precisely which device commands have been assigned to which SR250/260 buttons whether command name matches the button name or not?

There is not a way to do this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

As you noted, it's usually commons sense - some at times may not be - ie 'guide' and 'info' are sometimes used for additional menus on bluray players (top menu vs menu vs setup).

What you're looking to do is no different. the PREV button is intended in it's basic as a previous channel button - you want something else, simply take the original remote, an learn in the return command into the RECALL 'button'

There's a KB article with most of the default commands (the ones mapped) listed, if I remember correctly.

Or you can just go into driver editor, use the drop down list on the add a command page to see the default commands. IF YOU TYPE IN A COMMAND, IT WILL NOT MAP. Use the drop down list to choose commands. They're 95% common sense.

Small addendum - you CAN type the command in - but it would have to be an EXACT match.

In the driver however, assuming it's done using the driver wizard, default commands are on the left, cutom on the right. HOWEVER not everything in the default list is also mapped.

On 12 July 2016 at 5:39 PM, Cyknight said:

Oh my don't do that. You just create a loop! If you've just completed training - you should delete all knowledge of while statements right now....

Button mapping is done in the device driver, not via programming.

Would an IF statement be the better way to achieve custom functionality outside of driver editing, similar to this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5x16ny67vfb9a5/Screenshot 2016-07-13 08.57.48.png?dl=0

Archived