C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Big Ass Fans / Big Ass Lights Driver

alanchow

signature-logo" data-fileid="0691T00000JBNOYQA5

Chowmain - Big Ass Fans / Big Ass Lights Driver 

The Chowmain Big Ass Fans Driver for Control4 allows integration of the IP controllable Big Ass Fans and Big Ass Lights into Control4 allowing full 2 way multispeed fan and multi level lighting control over your home.

Integration into Control4 allows control from a single point using Control4's touchscreens, mobile applications, keypads, handheld remote controls and cloud based 4sight remote monitoring and control service. On top of that it exposes control over the Haiku products in the Control4 ecosystem to provide interaction from other devices in the home.

From turning off your fans and lights when you arm your security system to automatically turning them on when it detects you are at home and if the temperature is at an uncomfortable level integration provides you with so many different solutions to make your lifestyle that much easier.

General Features 

• Automatically Discover and Manage Big Ass Fan Devices on your network using our new Big Ass Fans V2 Agent
  • Instantaneous Feedback
  • Wide variety of read/write variables for feedback and advanced programming

Light Features

• Automatic Naming of Lights
  • Auto mapped light levels (Control4 has 0-100 where Haiku has 0-16)
  • Support for Advanced Lighting Scenes
  • Two way feedback – Level, Device Name, Device MAC Address, Device IP Address
  • Programming Commands
  • OS 3.3.0 CCT / White Temperature Light Color Wheel Support
  • BUTTON_LINK support for brightness and CCT control by 3rd party devices

Fan Features

• 7 Speed Control
  • Automatic naming of Fans
  • Assign Preset Speed (On speed when toggled)
  • Two way feedback – Speed, Device Name, Device MAC Address, Device IP Address
  • Programming Commands - Whoosh Mode, Fan Auto, Fan Direction
  • BUTTON_LINK support for Toggle and cycle up/down support by 3rd party devices

Sensors

• Occupancy/Motion Sensor Support and bindings to detect if a room is occupied or not
  • Temperature and Humidity Sensor Support

FAQ 

Which Big Ass Fan Products are supported by this driver?

At this time, the following products are supported:

• Haiku (H and I Series)
  • Haiku L
  • Haiku Light
  • i6
  • es6

If its supported by the Big Ass Fans mobile app, it's probably supported by our driver.

Where is the Fan in Control4's interface?

Fan control is available from Control4's lighting page

How come the dimmer level changes slightly when i set a level?

Many light only have dim levels of 0-16, which may cause the level changes to vary

I notice that the driver automatically renames. What if i want to name it myself?

Adjust the Auto Rename Property on the fan.

How do i use whoosh, fan direction or the automatic settings?

These functions are programmed as one-way commands in the fan / light driver's programming commands. You should tie these into experience buttons, schedules or other event based programming.

What Control4 OS is required for this driver?

OS 3.3.0 or above is required for our Big Ass Fans V2 driver. For Legacy systems, V1 may still be used, but requires older firmware and supports limited hardware

My Fans were working correctly in V1, however, the fans do not operate in V2

You must upgrade your mobile app from the original Haiku App to the new Big Ass fans app and update the firmware. V2 requires updated firmware for operation. V1 does not require updated firmware, but it does not support all of the features or hardware of V2.

I have functionality I want to use which isn't available as a command or binding

We expose lots of functionality as variables which you can modify. If there are variables which you can't write to, or if you want functionality which is better handled in another way, let us know.

Do you offer any other cool drivers?

Control4 is a major part of our business. We develop new drivers all the time. You can see all of our drivers on our website (http://www.chowmainsoft.com). Sign up to our newsletter to get notified when new drivers out.

I want to try this driver out before buying it?

All Chowmain drivers for Control4 come with a 90 day trial.

Where can i find out more?

You can find out more about the driver from the following link.

https://chowmain.software/drivers/control4-big-ass-fans-haiku

gallery01.thumb.png.f986f179f14b00547f31f53ebcc6ceef.png gallery04.thumb.png.241af358282111d12d8f9c4932b0c031.png  

gallery02.png

Edited by alanchow

• 2 years later...

Does this driver work with the outdoor version of the BAF Haiku fans that do not have the "SenseMe" technology and do not work with the Haiku App?  I'm getting ready to order 6 outdoor fans, and I'm curious how C4 can control it if the only current BAF solution for the fans is their remote control.

If the driver doesn't work with the standard outdoor version of these fans, is there any other suggestion for a solution?  I know they offer a 0-10V version of the fans, but I wasn't if C4 had a way to control that.

thanks for any help or advice!

Lee

If you can't control the fan with the BAF app, then his driver won't work.  C4's Fan Controller also does not work 0-10v fans either, they use standard 120V for "dumb", pullchain motors.  Not DC motors either, it's all AC motors.

Take a look at Fanimation.  I've purchased several that have the modern/contempory style like BAF, put still have the 3-speed AC motors compatible with the C4 Fan control.

On 2/7/2019 at 4:37 PM, lippavisual said:

If you can't control the fan with the BAF app, then his driver won't work.  C4's Fan Controller also does not work 0-10v fans either, they use standard 120V for "dumb", pullchain motors.  Not DC motors either, it's all AC motors.

Take a look at Fanimation.  I've purchased several that have the modern/contempory style like BAF, put still have the 3-speed AC motors compatible with the C4 Fan control.

Thanks lippavisual!  I know you said that C4's Fan Controller doesn't work with the 0-10v fans, but do you know if a standard C4 dimmer would work in lieu of a fan controller?

Also, I appreciate the tip look into Fanimation.  I'm also looking into them now.  I liked a few of them but they ended up having DC motors so I'm looking into the AC options now.

For C4, about the only thing that would work other than the fan controller, would be a switch (ie: on/off).

Just about most of the Fanimation fans come with 2-3 different skus for motor type per fan.   The ones I’ve purchased had 3.  0-10v dc without wireless remote, 0-10v dc with remote and if available, 3 speed AC.  Something along those lines, don’t exactly remember  

You could always call them to see if they will put an AC motor in the style fan you want.  Wouldn’t hurt to try.

• 10 months later...

Some people were complaining about how the fan comes up under lighting.  Unfortunately this is a Control4 problem which we can't resolve.

Instead what we have done is create a experience button which allows you to select any fan proxy and allow for 3 speed fan control with feedback.  It will auto map the speeds based on capabilties of the fan proxy driver selected.  Mapping will be lowest (1), highest (depending on capabilities) and will the following math for the medium speed (highest / 2 rounded up).

It is a free driver and is bundled with this driver.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/11/2021 at 7:34 AM, Christian87n said:

Does the driver track the power state of the fan and light? I programmed the LEDs to turn on anytime either is on but if they turn on on their own (smart mode/motion) the LEDs don’t change. 

Yes the driver provides bi-directional feedback.  Note that it is polled so it won't update until the next poll interval (unless the command is initiated by Control4 in which case its instant).

2 hours ago, alanchow said:

Yes the driver provides bi-directional feedback.  Note that it is polled so it won't update until the next poll interval (unless the command is initiated by Control4 in which case its instant).

I changed the polling time to 10 seconds but noticed it wouldn’t change the LED status or the status within the C4 app. 

Any future updates to include Sleep Mode? Also, any programming instructions to allow for lowering or raising light intensity like what’s allowed for the fan speed? 

You'll need to submit a helpdesk ticket for us to troubleshoot further with logs and probably remote access details to your system.

https://www.chowmainsoft.com/support

We don't have sleep mode implemented (or know how to do it).  The API for lights only give us the details on how to set the value.  As such you will have to do your own programming to do raising and lowering.

• 10 months later...

Hi

I know that Chowmainsoft are working on an driver update to make it compatible with the recent Haiku firmware update, but wondering if the new driver would also provide compatibility with the i6 and es6 models.

Many thanks

Paul

On 4/20/2022 at 5:51 PM, Paul S said:

Hi

I know that Chowmainsoft are working on an driver update to make it compatible with the recent Haiku firmware update, but wondering if the new driver would also provide compatibility with the i6 and es6 models.

Many thanks

Paul

Its not a driver update.  Its a total rewrite.  This means it won't be upgradable.  Once we have written the new driver it'll work with the i6 and es6 as well.

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2022 at 4:06 AM, alanchow said:

Its not a driver update.  Its a total rewrite.  This means it won't be upgradable.  Once we have written the new driver it'll work with the i6 and es6 as well.

Hi Alan

I know in the email that was sent out, it was hoped that the new driver would be available in July. Just wondering if development was going to plan and if July was still on track.

Just trying to work out if I should buy one of the new fans for my home that I could install in August.

many thanks

Paul

17 hours ago, Paul S said:

Hi Alan

I know in the email that was sent out, it was hoped that the new driver would be available in July. Just wondering if development was going to plan and if July was still on track.

Just trying to work out if I should buy one of the new fans for my home that I could install in August.

many thanks

Paul

We are working on the driver but it may be delayed slightly due to other projects.

Fans manufacturered from July onwards cannot be downgraded.  Fans previous to that can be.

• alanchow changed the title to Chowmain - Big Ass Fans / Big Ass Lights Driver

Hi everyone,

We have now released the new Big Ass Fans driver for Control4 which supports the new Big Ass Fans API.  Developed from the ground up by our very talented @Andrew luecke this driver supports all IP controlled fans including Haiku (firmware version 3+), ES6 and i6 fans with the following functionality.

• Fan Speed Control
  • Preset Speed (On speed when toggled)
  • Whoosh, Fan Direction
  • Light Dimming
  • Light Color Temperature Adjustment.
  • Temperature & Humidity Feedback
  • Occupancy Sensor Support
  • + more

Existing Big Ass Fans Haiku Control4 driver customers can install this driver at no additional charge. Note customers must upgrade to the latest version of the firmware for this new driver to operate.

Big thank you to Big Ass Fans for their support on this project.

For more information please see link below.

https://chowmain.software/drivers/control4-big-ass-fans-haiku

image.thumb.png.c61999d48b9870b56e756f977030edb5.png

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2019 at 6:59 AM, alanchow said:

Some people were complaining about how the fan comes up under lighting.  Unfortunately this is a Control4 problem which we can't resolve.

Instead what we have done is create a experience button which allows you to select any fan proxy and allow for 3 speed fan control with feedback.  It will auto map the speeds based on capabilties of the fan proxy driver selected.  Mapping will be lowest (1), highest (depending on capabilities) and will the following math for the medium speed (highest / 2 rounded up).

It is a free driver and is bundled with this driver.

Hi, may I know what is the driver's name.  Thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.