C4 Forums | Control4

Battery Powered Wireless Keypads?

zaphod

That is more of a remote control - I was thinking more like one of their regular keypads but powered by a battery rather than AC so installation is a simple matter of cutting a hole in the wall and putting in the unit.  Kind of like the Hue dimmers or switches.  Or is that not fitting into the C4 dealer model way of doing things?

11 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

There's also the Card Access mini remote. As for powering a C4 keypadd on battery - not likely, as it's proposed minimum is 36v, though it will likely work on 24v.

Perhaps not the existing keypad but, at least in my opinion, why not introduce a product like this? 

Battery requirements?

It would have to be a sleepy device to prevent battery drain, which then would mean a slower response - not that that would be unacceptable as an option.

The big question is market. I've never had to even think of this possible 'solution' until you mentioned it.....so how many would be sold?

Note, the device suggestion as such isn't a bad one, but market value would be the real question to answer.

But battery doesn't seem to be an issue for Philips Hue Switches and dimmers which are only offered in wireless versions and don't they also use Zigbee?  I would guess that there would be more optimal places where you could put keypads if you didn't have to consider wiring.  I can think of several spots in my house.

• 2 years later...

Reviving this question. 

I have a need for this solution too.  Simply put, once the home was constructed we missed a few natural locations for keypads.  We have no infrastructure anywhere closeby to run the wired keypad, so it wouldn’t be a simple matter of cutting into the drywall and taping off of existing electrical AC.  

Aesthetics are crucial in our home design, so a 3rd party solution would be very noticeable. 

As to the questions of market, I suppose I would agree that it is small.  Most of my older homes had plenty of switches in the Natural places.  It was this custom home that missed a few.   The lesson learned is know your furniture and cabinet layout as well when planning placement.

We have used Rako wireless keypad on several jobs where running cables to their desired location was not an option for one reason or another. The RNC series keypad are great and with the RAMPI NFC programming tool and a Rako Bridge for them to communicate with they will integrate very nicely with Control4 too.

https://rakocontrols.com/rnc070/

Archived