C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 announces Amazon Echo integration

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Are you saying that C4 is using the scenes API?  If so, that may explain the performance difference with the ES driver and offer some hope that integration of A/V devices can be improved (setting to desired state more than on/off, e.g. Channel/station)

At first glance scenes might appear similar to the groups feature found in the Smart Home section of the Alexa app as both allow control over multiple devices with one voice command. However, scenes differ from groups in the following ways:

• Scenes allow each device configured within it to be set to a desired state, whereas groups are stateless and simply turn devices on or off.
  • Scenes are configured by customers through a device manufacturer’s app, whereas groups are configured in the Alexa app.
  • Scenes only contain devices managed by the device manufacturer’s app, whereas groups can contain any device discovered in the Alexa app.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you saying that C4 is using the scenes API?  If so, that may explain the performance difference with the ES driver and offer some hope that integration of A/V devices can be improved (setting to desired state more than on/off, e.g. Channel/station)

At first glance scenes might appear similar to the groups feature found in the Smart Home section of the Alexa app as both allow control over multiple devices with one voice command. However, scenes differ from groups in the following ways:

• Scenes allow each device configured within it to be set to a desired state, whereas groups are stateless and simply turn devices on or off.
  • Scenes are configured by customers through a device manufacturer’s app, whereas groups are configured in the Alexa app.
  • Scenes only contain devices managed by the device manufacturer’s app, whereas groups can contain any device discovered in the Alexa app.

Assuming they are using it

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

On 10/1/2016 at 7:07 AM, Gary Leeds UK said:

They have advertised the amazing  echo is in the UK via YouTube , twitter etc 

they have not mentioned about it being US only .

it is not a amazon issue in the U.K. - C4 have sever issue ( have a quote from C4 saying that) 

UK law on adversting is pretty strict - so got a couple of our guys sending a few letters to the office in York UK .

Thry need to realise they have a customer base that has teeth - not a dealer yes crowd 

I have tried to like this Gazza ol sport but I've run outta likes!

How are you going with this ol chap? 

My Echo has arrived, and I have an amazon.uk account which I would rather use than the US one..

What is this "C4 UK skills thing"? and C4 has server issue all about?

I want to know all the detail of all this before pluggin Alexa in and I want to know which amazon account to sign up to.

I know where this sh$t will all lead without knowing all this before hand.. or do you think I should just get the Ari driver?

A bit confused on all this hahaha LOL

But you go get em bulldog ol chap! go sic 'em (if you think it's justified)

P.S I'm an ex brit in Australia with an American Echo, a US C4site account and a UK and US Amazon account. WTF do I do?

ie could you give me some Clear steps? as a favour to an ex brit (well 5 generations ago LOL!) Does the father of a daughter at Cambridge count?  

I want the UK roadmap! (even if it's for accent recognition alone) LMFAO :P

Cheers... 

W. 

Wapp,

In the Amazon Echo App, you have a thing called skills - Like apps that you down load to he Echo.

Control4 as one, but you can only down load if you are in the US.

The ari driver is about $100 and works pretty well.

We use the Echo more for the novelty, as we have sensors al around the house turning on and off lights.

However works well in the bedroom !!!

Your US Amazon account should allow you to get the C4 Skills - The UK one will not allow you.

Hope that helps my little beer monster

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Wapp,

In the Amazon Echo App, you have a thing called skills - Like apps that you down load to he Echo.

Control4 as one, but you can only down load if you are in the US.

The ari driver is about $100 and works pretty well.

We use the Echo more for the novelty, as we have sensors al around the house turning on and off lights.

However works well in the bedroom !!!

Your US Amazon account should allow you to get the C4 Skills - The UK one will not allow you.

Hope that helps my little beer monster

It does ol sport..up and running with the C4 skills on Amazon US.. my goodness.. LOL..is that it? 

C4 skills is going to need to get a lot more funtional..

LOl... maybe I was expecting to much.. but seriously? I'll need Alexa turn on TV, or Alexa select Kodi before I get real excited by this.. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

It does ol sport..up and running with the C4 skills on Amazon US.. my goodness.. LOL..is that it? 

The Control4 skill was developed when the Amazon was ONLY available in the US.  The same day Control4 Announced the skill Amazon announced Alexa for Germany and UK.  Control4 is going thru certification for those regions now.  

Your Only US should really be directed at Amazon as that was (until a few weeks ago) the ONLY place you could buy an Echo.

4 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

C4 skills is going to need to get a lot more funtional..

Control4 is limited here by what Amazon makes possible with hotwords.

Just now, wappinghigh said:

Your kidding me.. is that it? A couple light switches and scenes.. seriously?? :rolleyes:

i'm saying you are directing your limitation comments at the wrong place.  Look at the Amazon AVS API.  you will see the limitations....

Yeah? but that is a bit of a lame response (with no disrespect).... all this fan fair from Control4 ...I mean you gotta be able to make the thing do the fundamentals like control the Universal remote and media room type stuff before you carry on about how great it is and all.. Seriously?? 

1 minute ago, wappinghigh said:

Yeah? but that is a ridiculous response (with no disrespect).... all this fan fair from Control4 ...I mean you gotta be able to make the thing do the fundamentals like control the Universal remote and media room type stuff before you carry on about how great it is and all.. Seriously?? 

I don't understand your response. Here is the API https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-voice-service/content/avs-api-overview

6 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Who cares about this?? LOL..what the end user wants is functionality!.. Don;t go launching the "next big thing" until at least "the team up" can do the fundamentals.. is this some sort of joke? So whats planned..? or will this thing be destined for the kids bathroom (as a toy)???? 

5 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

So whats planned..?

i have no idea....

Voice control is new and evolving technology. This is likely a start not an end.  

Pure speculation but control4 called the driver "voice scenes" they didn't call it Amazon, Alexa, AVS...to me that means it will be powering different voice services in the future too

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

i have no idea....

Voice control is new and evolving technology. This is likely a start not an end.  

Sure..but this isn;t "new..."..Siri has been out like 2-3 years.. some of us were fooling around with voice control and raspberry pi's back here on this forum as early as that as well... I recall several  people setting up direct control of devices even with that.. I mean come on man.. you gotta get the fundamentals right> You gotta be able to make direct calls and control of devices... :) 

yes, siri is 3 years old BUT until this current iOS release there was no API for 3rd party integration with Siri.  Amazon at least has had an API that has been evolving.  

Yes you could hack siri to do more and you can hack Echo to do more, as Ari has done with his driver. 

But control4 is never going to hack API's to add functionality.  They are going to work with the vendors to get the APIs that they need

Well gee wiz... this is a bit of a let down. And all this hype..  LOL! 

I guess a couple echo dots fed back into the C4 audio Matrix might be a great Sonos connect replacement..so that part of it (the music side) is pretty awesome, but the HA side???

And the my.control4 side of the integration is awesome.. C4 has that bit spot on! Congrats with that...!

But Don't you find the individual HA control, a bit of let down as well (so far)?

1 minute ago, wappinghigh said:

Don't you find this a bit of a let down as well (so far)?

eh.  I never found the echo great.  I think all voice control is a let down.  But again, I am confident it will get better over time.  

This is actually the best thing I can do with my echo.  The only other thing i actually use it for is to listen to music in the gym.

Don't you find it a letdown that Amazon won't sell you one?  Maybe there is an Amazon forum to post why you can't buy one on?

9 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

eh.  I never found the echo great.  I think all voice control is a let down.  But again, I am confident it will get better over time.  

This is actually the best thing I can do with my echo.  The only other thing i actually use it for is to listen to music in the gym.

Don't you find it a letdown that Amazon won't sell you one?  Maybe there is an Amazon forum to post why you can't buy one on?

What do you mean? I've got one operational with my.control4.com And Amazon right now (as we speak)...

I enjoy my Echo and was disappointed with C4s first take at Voice Control. However, I think that the route they are following is going to make this a hugely powerful tool as they develop this.  

For me, the fact that over 100 lights and over 100 advanced lighting scenes became available to me, via Alexa, at the touch of a button was quite something... If there were no bugs, this would be even more impressive (currently this has stoped working for me... maybe I need to reboot my director?). But, bugs will be resolved!

Imagine they do this with music and you can play any album, artist or even song without having to code it.  I have done some complex coding with a combination of Alan's driver and Ari's driver and I can play any artist fairly easily in any room but in a year's time, I suspect I won't need to do any of this programming... C4 will simply allow it. Can't wait.

As for the limitations all being in the Amazon side, I am not so sure about that. When I was beta testing the Voicepod Alexa driver, I thought it was immensely powerful and just needed a few tweaks for it to give me the ability to do everything I wanted. For example, with Voicepod (the beta), I could say "Alexa, tell Voicepod to turn on the TV in the bedroom" and I could program off "TV" and "bedroom". This was obviously very flexible... I am sure C4 will get there.

For me, what I want is Voicepod's versatility (with some fixes - e.g. It had a set list of rooms rather than using every room you have in the project) with the C4 brilliance of pre-populating all lights and lighting scenes extended to other devices, media etc.

I expect this to develop significantly over the next year or two and it is exciting!

10 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

by pretending to be in the US?

what the heck? why does this matter? I'm not "pretending" to do anything. 

It's not my fault amazon issued me an account like 3 years back.. or that I paid good hard cash to buy an Echo from the US?

Are you suggesting i have done anything wrong?

Like to take it up with Donald Trump explaining why someone can't support good ol American goods and knowhow by importing them direct?

Would you rather me not purchase American goods and services?

This is absurd.

10 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

As for the limitations all being in the Amazon side, I am not so sure about that. When I was beta testing the Voicepod Alexa driver, I thought it was immensely powerful and just needed a few tweaks for it to give me the ability to do everything I wanted. For example, with Voicepod (the beta), I could say "Alexa, tell Voicepod to turn on the TV in the bedroom" and I could program off "TV" and "bedroom". This was obviously very flexible... I am sure C4 will get there.

For me, what I want is Voicepod's versatility (with some fixes - e.g. It had a set list of rooms rather than using every room you have in the project) with the C4 brilliance of pre-populating all lights and lighting scenes extended to other devices, media etc.

I expect this to develop significantly over the next year or two and it is exciting!

Sure. Great post. thanks for that..so where has all the Voicepod stuff gone??? I was at least expecting that sort of functionality... 

what the heck? why does this matter? I'm not "pretending" to do anything. 

It's not my fault amazon issued me an account like 3 years back.. or that I paid good hard cash to buy an Echo from the US?

Are you suggesting i have done anything wrong?

Like to take it up with Donald Trump explaining why someone can't support good ol American goods and knowhow by importing them direct?

Would you rather me not purchase American goods and services?

This is absurd.

No I don't care. I am just saying that you are complaining about something not being complete yet the company selling it hasn't even released it in your country. I agree with you that they should.

And its not a made in America product. It's made. In China.

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

No I don't care. I am just saying that you are complaining about something not being complete yet the company selling it hasn't even released it in your country. I agree with you that they should.

And its not a made in America product. It's made. In China.

Say what? Like huh??? This is not an American Product.. Ok. like whatever you say. This is getting sillier and sillier.....

Archived