C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 announces Amazon Echo integration

43 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

As far as I know, the VoicePod code was offered for sale but there were no buyers... I may be wrong...

So what is the low down here?. Can someone cut to the chase

Are you implying Control4 could have purchased the voicepod code (and implemented it into their own driver for Alexa or made the current state of play better) but they chose not to? 

I have just gone back and poured over this entire thread.. I'm putting 2+2 together and what I read on this thread is that they aint adding up to 4 here..

Whats going on with this..?  Folks don't seem real happy..folks like jfh (and others).....

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...I mean the decision one has to make for a guy like me on this is all about the "financial loss" cost of programming time.....,

a / do I tough it out and spend hours trying to configure whats best using Control4/myhome and Amazon "skill" (I subscribe to 4sight already for other reasons) or 

b/ do I just cut that idea dead in it's tracks right now and buy the other 3rd party "Ari" driver (or whatever it is)?

(why is it that time and again end users have to come up with such decisions? This aint the first time.. I can think of quite a few others..)

This a "cost of time" issue for me on this one. I don;t want to go down one path and spend hours and hrs of programming only to find out like a month later that it's all come to naught...(been there done that with so many other things)....  So which is it?

1/ the Control4 route is lame, or won;t be really developed much further, or development will be sluggish etc (or not developed to it's maximum capabilities..ie no voicepod type actions), or the two clouds talking together will cause ongoing problems??? or

2/ the third party driver gets ignored and eventually skitteld

Or could you use both solutions happily together.. if so...  how?? 

Could someone advise please? Thanks

4 hours ago, msgreenf said:

i'm saying you are directing your limitation comments at the wrong place.  Look at the Amazon AVS API.  you will see the limitations....

You're kidding, right?  C4 doesn't even begin to touch the function available in the API.

4 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Yes you could hack siri to do more and you can hack Echo to do more, as Ari has done with his driver. 

Ari's driver doesn't hack Echo in any way.  It presents itself as a Phillips Hue bridge. Amazon uses the existing support for Hue devices to process AVS services through Echo.

You might call it a trick, but It's not a hack in any way.

Ari's driver doesn't hack Echo in any way.  It presents itself as a Phillips Hue bridge. Amazon uses the existing support for Hue devices to process AVS services through Echo.

You might call it a trick, but It's not a hack in any way.

It's not a hack of Amazon but it is pretending to be something it's not. That's a hack. I'm not knocking it. I think it's really clever

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

@wappinghigh  

Borh work fine together.  If you use the C4 skill to control existing lights and Advanced Lighting scenes, there is ZERO programming.  

If you use either the C4 Voice Services driver and/or Ari's (Epic Systems) driver, programming is the same for each - they create events to program off.  Instead of putting all the logic in those events, I just set a variable with what I want to do and call a macro that has all the logic for the events I want Alexa to control.  Whether the event exists because of the C4 voice services driver or Ari's driver, the code is in the macro not the event trigger.  That approach also allows me to change which driver processes a command by just deleting/adding/renaming a trigger and setting a variable and calling the macro under the appropriate event. 

Thanks for that. Very helpful. So with that approach you'd expect hundreds of macros in a medium to large project right? Each of my rooms would have like have 5-10 watch and listen variables alone....why hasn't either epic or C4 created hundreds of "template" variables ....even macros in their drivers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assume you have a trigger / Voice Scene called "Bedroom TV"

There will be multiple events for Bedroom TV created.   Under the on event have something like

variables -> Alexa trigger = Bedroom TV

Execute Macro "Alexa ON"

then in in the Alexa ON macro:

When Alexa trigger = Bedroon TV

.  Code to turn on tv or set a specific cha bell or whatever

When Alexa trigger = something else

.  Do another set of commands

etc.

Yes C4 did break the rules - Invoice also been issued, so after 60days we can start proceeding in the small claim court.

Little man fights back

Thank you for your reply.

Having checked the website in light of your complaint, we consider that it warrants being looked into further and so we will be in contact again soon with an update.

Kind regards

Paul

Complaints Executive

Advertising Standards Authority

Mid City Place, 71 High Holborn

London WC1V 6QT

Telephone 020 7492 2222

www.asa.org.uk

View our 2015 Annual Report and video

Legal, decent, honest and truthful

2 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Yes but its getting look in to.

The invoice I will win, it will be cheaper for them to pay me !!

Wonderful, the NA mentality to complain and sue for money on every little thing is steadily crossing the ocean. All I can do is cry for the sad loss of common sense and rationale.

Nobody 'wins' this.

4 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Yes C4 did break the rules - Invoice also been issued, so after 60days we can start proceeding in the small claim court.

Little man fights back

Thank you for your reply.

Having checked the website in light of your complaint, we consider that it warrants being looked into further and so we will be in contact again soon with an update.

Kind regards

Paul

Complaints Executive

Advertising Standards Authority

Mid City Place, 71 High Holborn

London WC1V 6QT

Telephone 020 7492 2222

www.asa.org.uk

View our 2015 Annual Report and video

Legal, decent, honest and truthful

Bottom feeding scourge of the earth.  cyknight was polite.  I am not.  You are a piece of shi$!

Bottom feeding scourge of the earth.  cyknight was polite.  I am not.  You are a piece of shi$!

Huh, small claims is monetary loss only, not damages. Truth in advertising is a thing in Europe, unlike the USA

@Gary Leeds UK - Not sure why you are so upset - if you setup your Echo's as US versions, you can download the C4 Skill, and you are A for away......  That's what I have done with my two echo's here in the UK.

Because the point is to use it as designed and as advertised.

Huh, small claims is monetary loss only, not damages

If you go by that, Gary wouldn't have a case in court, as there is no monetary loss to begin with. Nothing was BOUGHT from C4 at any point. Subsequent choice to buy other drivers is one's own choice.

The invoice I will win, it will be cheaper for them to pay me

What invoice - the driver from a 3rd party? The zero pound invoice for a non-existing product? Control4 didn't SELL anything.

Truth in advertising is a thing in Europe, unlike the USA

Sure - but I'd still like to see where there was anything untrue advertised.

Beside that - the 'truth' is extremely bendable. Control4 stated complete TRUTH as far as I can tell, as they never STATED it was available NOW in the UK.

~Shrugs~

The greatest thing truth in advertising has created is that it forces people to read in between the lines and learned them not to take a line of text at 'face value'. Guess some forgot that part, or couldn't keep up.

the tweet of the 29th is Gold

it will be cheaper for them to pay me

You pay the piper

then the fun could start

Show me the money

Yeah you're really fighting for the 'little man' aren't you?

We use the Echo more for the novelty, as we have sensors al around the house turning on and off lights.

Be sure to mention that when you have your 10 minutes in the spotlight about how terrible it was that you didn't get Alexa -C4 integration for free on the day Alexa/echo was released.

As a bottom feeder - Like that one.

Its simple you advertise something to it needs to work.

If you know it does not work, say it does not work.

C4 need to tell the end user what works and what does not - They have not advised anyone of the issue in 2.9 about dimmers going

off line.

The only thing firms taken notice off is Money.

Its simple make sure your advertisement are correct and everyone is happy

Just going back to play with the other bottom feeders

On 9/14/2016 at 5:33 PM, klaue2 said:

If you have the C4 Audio matrix - you can program it to switch sources when it detects input from a source, e.g. switch the room over to the Dot when it speaks and switch back to the existing source when it is done. 

Start.png

Timer.png

Stop.png

I used the: LINESO 3.5mm Stereo To RCA Red White Audio Balun Extender Over Cat5 Anyone else doing this?  I connected the dot to my C4 8 channel AMP (input 4).  Haven't setup programming yet until I fix the volume. The audio is barely audible.  Am I missing something?  I checked the amp and there doesn't seem to be any help from adjusting the gain.

They have not advised anyone of the issue in 2.9 about dimmers going

off line.

The notice and fix was announced Oct 12 at 10AM mountain time, mate. If you're a dealer you should have received this advisement. Furthermore, all AP dimmers/KP were issued advanced RMA if they failed, prior to that date.

Archived