C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 announces Amazon Echo integration

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

No it's the CRTC, Canada is a big enough market to warrant the added licensing. EVERY country needs to have this done, it's no different for the UK or Germany (to mention the two announced market of 'Alexa'). The problem is that the CRTC regulates the licensing allowing you to sell any form of music or tv experience within Canada at all - and has some very strict rules.

When this is then requested, the usually demand a % of content is Canadian - scaled (for whatever reason) in part to the type of content. This is similar to their demands to Canadian Broadcasters doing the same thing - this includes for example Canada's SiriusXM.

Netflix, while present in Canada - is also a rather different service, and have a look at what they actually DO have for their line-up in available content - and how much of it is 'Canadian' (a rather murky definition on it's own within these rules).

So sure - the need for licensing content is one part of why services aren't just instantly available in Canada as well - but it's the CRTC that handles the licensing for broadcasting anything at all.

But the CRTC has decided not to intervene in OTT video for now, including Netflix.  It isn't clear that they have the mandate to do so since these services are not broadcasting, unlike satellite radio, or terrestial radio or even TV.

The reason that the Canadian catalogue on Netflix is different is licensing.  There is no CRTC mandated Canadian content on Netflix, at least not yet.  Netflix has decided to try to add more local content, such as producing new episodes of Trailer Park Boys, etc, arguably to try to pre-empt any CRTC rules. But they aren't required to as of today.  And I don't think that Spotify, Apple Music, etc have to carry a certain amount of Canadian music as part of their Canadian services..

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

But the CRTC has decided not to intervene in OTT video for now, including Netflix.  It isn't clear that they have the mandate to do so since these services are not broadcasting, unlike satellite radio, or terrestial radio or even TV.

The reason that the Canadian catalogue on Netflix is different is licensing.  There is no CRTC mandated Canadian content on Netflix, at least not yet.  Netflix has decided to try to add more local content, such as producing new episodes of Trailer Park Boys, etc, arguably to try to pre-empt any CRTC rules. But they aren't required to as of today.  And I don't think that Spotify, Apple Music, etc have to carry a certain amount of Canadian music as part of their Canadian services..

VIDEO yes - though they've said they'll have it by the end of the year still. Netflix is being 'ignored' for the time being - and Netflix is 'helping' that with their programming choices.

Yes, licensing is part of that too, never would say otherwise. That said, what the CRTC has been doing for decades now has mangled that licensing model in it's own way as well.

Netflix and Spotify busted open the door - but while some claimed the war was won, it was just one battle, the CRTC isn't down for the count yet (at least they don't think they are). Wish it were different. Apple Music isn't considered 'radio' at all.

The rules are plain silly - the CRTC should be overhauled - some small requirement isn't a bad thing - plus it should act as a content advocate/complaints bureau in general. But forcing specific ratios in this day and age for 'local' content etc....

Even with the door open though - the bouncer is still standing behind it - and it just creates a poor environment to launch in. With that you're back to what I said - the CRTC doesn't make it impossible - but it makes it more problematic. More problematic is more costly, less likely to repay the investment in due time...

13 minutes ago, adam333 said:

So if I want to setup a "scene" for alexa to fire off.   is this done under lighting scenes, or media scenes in composer?

There is a new "Voice scene" driver that needs to be added to your project.  Once it's added you can add and program all the voice scenes you'd like through HE.  You can also create dummy lighting scenes and use that as a trigger as well.

4 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

We have updated to 2.9 and waiting for the Echo to Come !!!

Do we just connect to C4 from the Echo app and will that be able to Turn lights on and off ?

Or will we need a new driver dropping in first ?  

super easy.  just connect to c4 thru echo.  and your up and running

17 hours ago, am350z said:

Too bad.  If they communicated, it would be nice to have one centrally located and connected to the audio matrix and sort what rooms speakers respond to commands in programming.  As is, it would be way to difficult to run rca cables back to control closet from all the locations I would install a dot.  

You don't have to run RCA cables.  You can convert that to ethernet.  The converters are $11 from Amazon.  It was discussed earlier but I can't find it now.

But I wouldn't be surprised if this was an eventual enhancement by Amazon.

4 hours ago, adam333 said:

the problem i have is remembering the names of the lights off the t op of my head.   May have to rename the lights to more practical things

And you can do this just in the customer.control4.com account > device > alexa. no need for a dealer or even composer HE.

this only changes the names of lights as far as Alexa is concerned, they would not change on your UI after this.

1) I'm a bit confused on how the Echo or Dot connects to Control4.  I need to connect the device to an audio input somewhere?  If this is correct, do voice commands go into the audio input triggering C4 commands?  Can the connection to an audio in be made to a controller such as an HC300, EA5, HC800, etc?  I don't have a dedicated audio matrix, I have the Control4 amplifier which runs to all speakers in my house other than dedicated theater.

2) Is there a difference in function between the Echo and the soon to be released (October 20 per Amazon) Dots?  It appears the Dots are on $49.99 whereas the Echo is $179.99.  It would seem like an easy decision on which one to buy if looking for voice control only or am I missing something?  Do you need the full size $179.99 Echo for the Dots to work?

30 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

1) I'm a bit confused on how the Echo or Dot connects to Control4.  I need to connect the device to an audio input somewhere?  If this is correct, do voice commands go into the audio input triggering C4 commands?  Can the connection to an audio in be made to a controller such as an HC300, EA5, HC800, etc?  I don't have a dedicated audio matrix, I have the Control4 amplifier which runs to all speakers in my house other than dedicated theater.

2) Is there a difference in function between the Echo and the soon to be released (October 20 per Amazon) Dots?  It appears the Dots are on $49.99 whereas the Echo is $179.99.  It would seem like an easy decision on which one to buy if looking for voice control only or am I missing something?  Do you need the full size $179.99 Echo for the Dots to work?

Echo is the big one, has audio quality speakers in it and has no audio output.

Dot is the smaller one, with a speaker but not for playing music back. It's got the microphone and can respond to inputs and relay messages via the speaker. Plus it has an audio out.

Otherwise they are the same tech.

34 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

1) The only thing you gain by connecting the Alexa devices to a C4 audio matrix is better audio since it will come through your whole-home speakers for one thing.

2) You can just use the Dots.  Someone else said they don't even use the Echo now.

33 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

That is the issue I have with C4 claiming its integrated.  Its partially integrated. You can use Alexa to turn lights on/off, etc, but the feedback etc.. utilizes the echo speaker or your need to use a 3.5mm audio cord to a amp/speaker/audiomatrix setup.  But there are no setting or integration with how this audio gets distributed throughout home (such as volume, which speakers etc...its old fashioned, if its connected to that output, it will send it there).

Comparison: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/136952-amazon-echo-vs-amazon-tap-vs-echo-dot-what-s-the-difference

1 minute ago, turls said:

1) The only thing you gain by connecting the Alexa devices to a C4 audio matrix is better audio since it will come through your whole-home speakers for one thing.

2) You can just use the Dots.  Someone else said they don't even use the Echo now.

So if I'm basically looking for voice control as my primary goal, the Dots not even hooked up to a matrix would suffice?  I am primarily looking at just walking in a room and saying, "Play this" or "Turn on light" etc

Assume c4 commands are relayed from dot to c4 over wifi/network connection?  Wouldnt need the audio quality speakers in echo if using c4 audio distribution.  How does Alexa know/learn commands? Say turning on pool fountains through c4?  In programming setup?

2 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

So if I'm basically looking for voice control as my primary goal, the Dots not even hooked up to a matrix would suffice?  I am primarily looking at just walking in a room and saying, "Play this" or "Turn on light" etc

Hearing the voice feedback is ideal, and I'm not sure how good the Dot speaker would be for a large room, but you can likely accomplish what you are looking for.

3 minutes ago, am350z said:

Assume c4 commands are relayed from dot to c4 over wifi/network connection?

Not exactly sure if I understand the question, but Alexa functions as a cloud service so you have to have an internet connection.

just making sure i am not missing something - I did the basic Alexa/C4 skill thing (did not get my dealer involved yet).  All loaded fine.  The scenes in there, those can only go on/off?  I have 3 different loads in my kitchen each with their own name but I have a scene called kitchen lights so they all go on/off together.  What if I wanted to dim all 3 at the same time (all 3 are on dimmers).  For each load I could say the name and dim just fine, but I cannot dim the scene.  I have Ari's driver, so I guess I could use that and create a few set points at 75%, 50%, 25% etc and trigger off that?

34 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

Yes.  In that case Dots are fine.   Response volume is adjustable and quite capable off filling the room, depending on how loud you want "Okay" to be ;)

30 minutes ago, turls said:

Not exactly sure if I understand the question, but Alexa functions as a cloud service so you have to have an internet connection.

Sorry if I wasnt clear.  I guess i was wondering how new commands are learned. So if I control my pool with C4, how is that programmed to an "Alexa, turn on hot tub" command.  Then, I assume the dot sends command to c4 controller via the network. Total newbie on Alexa so forgive me and thanks!

Archived