C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 announces Amazon Echo integration

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:41 PM, jfh said:

Does the C4 matrix switch fast enough to hear the Alexa output?

Has anyone had experience with this yet?  I'm planning on connecting a Dot to my C4 amp but I'm concerned that the delay in the audio sensing might be an issue if the voice phrases that Alexa speaks are short.  Obviously, longer phrases as well as music would not be a problem as it will just start playing as soon as the C4 amp can sense and power speakers on.

1 minute ago, drmark12pa said:

Has anyone had experience with this yet?  I'm planning on connecting a Dot to my C4 amp but I'm concerned that the delay in the audio sensing might be an issue if the voice phrases that Alexa speaks are short.  Obviously, longer phrases as well as music would not be a problem as it will just start playing as soon as the C4 amp can sense and power speakers on.

Can you not just set the amp to "always on"?

Reply received from Amazon today:

Hello Andrew,

Michael here at Amazon.co.uk, just a quick follow up to your call earlier.

I'm sorry the control4 Alexa Skill is currently not available for the UK market.

I've asked our technical team to reach out to the skill developer and let them know that you would like to see this skill added to Alexa. While we aren’t able to provide a time frame for when this issue will be resolved, we'll let you know when the developer has made improvements to the skill.

Thanks for using Alexa.

Amazon seem to be keen to blame the lack of Skill on C4.

4 minutes ago, andygeog said:

Amazon seem to be keen to blame the lack of Skill on C4.

Maybe because it's the responsibility of the Skill developer to determine where the skill is supported? ;)

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:33 PM, klaue2 said:

If you have the C4 Audio matrix - you can program it to switch sources when it detects input from a source, e.g. switch the room over to the Dot when it speaks and switch back to the existing source when it is done. 

Start.png

Timer.png

Stop.png

How does one use SNAPSHOT in Composer?  I have never seen that in the programming tree. 

4 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

I'm not sure with the C4 amp.  My concern would be constant power to all speakers that would maybe shorten the amp life possibly.

My understanding is it is not a problem.  I have two C4 amps. One is always on, the other is not... I have no idea why... probably poor initial set up.  My speakers are all still fine 3 years later. The always on amp gives me announcements and such like immediately which is great. The other one needs to be changed to always on... But that is low down my priority list of action items for my dealer!

6 minutes ago, jfh said:

Maybe because it's the responsibility of the Skill developer to determine where the skill is supported? ;)

Maybe it's because Amazon puts the onerous task onto the skill developer to have every skill separately tested and certified for each region. :mellow:

6 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Maybe it's because Amazon puts the onerous task onto the skill developer to have every skill separately tested and certified for each region. :mellow:

True - that is the responsibility of the developer.   Not clear why anyone would assume this is an Amazon responsibility.  Skills are available for developers to use the Alxa ecosystem to integrate, sell and market their products.

It's also possible that C4 only contracted for USA availability, which would suck for those outside the US.

5 minutes ago, jfh said:

True - that is the responsibility of the developer.   Not clear why anyone would assume this is an Amazon responsibility.  Skills are available for developers to use the Alxa ecosystem to integrate, sell and market their products.

It's also possible that C4 only contracted for USA availability, which would suck for those outside the US.

They probably did, as at the time of doing so, there WAS only US availability. Indeed to the best of my knowledge, you have to request certification for EVERY region they'll release Alexa (in other words, one for UK, one for Germany, and so on as it expands) separately. That was my point on the onerous task - not that the developer has to do it as such, but that it has to be done completely separately for every single region - even if the language is basically the same.

I cannot speak for any details, but AFAIK it's a matter of the certification going through at this point - and the more complex your skill, the longer it'll take. Official release of Alexa was YESTERDAY in the UK.

1 hour ago, drmark12pa said:

There is a way to force a chime when you get Dot's attention, its a setting.  But I gave up on auto-sensing long ago.  I have programming to turn off the amps when the alarm is armed to away mode but its not that big of a deal to leave it on...

17 hours ago, jfh said:

How do you set up a C4 amp to be always on?

I am trying to find it in my old emails, but i remember making a jumper wire out of speaker wire or something.  Maybe I can trace some of the wiring this weekend and figure it out for you.  my amp has been "always on" since Dec 2014 (I can see discussing it with my dealer, just not how we actually did the wiring - he must have walked me thru it over the phone) and I have had no issues with the speakers, amp, etc.

3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

I am trying to find it in my old emails, but i remember making a jumper wire out of speaker wire or something.  Maybe I can trace some of the wiring this weekend and figure it out for you.  my amp has been "always on" since Dec 2014 (I can see discussing it with my dealer, just not how we actually did the wiring - he must have walked me thru it over the phone) and I have had no issues with the speakers, amp, etc.

Any single core would do, jumper between +5v and IN on the amp, set toggle switch for trigger to ON on amp.

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

C4 Have server issue, hence the reason no skills in the UK - Just had a few tweets.

Just about to report them, feel a bit of legal work coming on (https://www.asa.org.uk/)

You wish to say something and it does not - You pay the piper

What? That doesn't even make sense.

C4 has said since the release of Alexa that it's not available anywhere but the US. They also said on the dealer forums that the skill is going through certification with Amazon for UK.

C4 Have server issue, hence the reason no skills in the UK - Just had a few tweets.

Just about to report them, feel a bit of legal work coming on (https://www.asa.org.uk/)

You wish to say something and it does not - You pay the piper

What are they doing that is illegal? I don't understand.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

What? That doesn't even make sense.

C4 has said since the release of Alexa that it's not available anywhere but the US. They also said on the dealer forums that the skill is going through certification with Amazon for UK.

They have advertised the amazing  echo is in the UK via YouTube , twitter etc 

they have not mentioned about it being US only .

it is not a amazon issue in the U.K. - C4 have sever issue ( have a quote from C4 saying that) 

UK law on adversting is pretty strict - so got a couple of our guys sending a few letters to the office in York UK .

Thry need to realise they have a customer base that has teeth - not a dealer yes crowd 

Archived