C4 Forums | Control4

Amp with 8 zones

dburton

We are installing an MC and an AMP. The system will have 8 zones of audio, using mini-touch screens. Are the following correct?

1) You can have 3 stereo lines coming from the MC to the Amp

2) Because there are only 3 connections from the MC, at most 3 different songs can be playing in the 8 zones

3) The MC does NOT send digital music via the e-net connection to the AMP (why not?)

We went over this discussion back in November it seems like on the Control4 forum... It would be really nice if the audio would stream digitally between the media controller, amp and tuner. Not sure why it is that way, but they decided to make it analog.

You could send it out to a MTS over ethernet and back to the amp with the rca outputs... that brings up a lot of questions... Say you have 8 listening zones and 3 touchscreens, all of the touchscreens connect to the amp via the rca outputs on the touch screens. All eight zones of speakers connect directly to the amp. How do the other 5 zones get their audio? I haven't played with that scenario yet. Can the three outputs from the media controller connect to the amp? Hmm... something to think about.

Blake

• 1 year later...

Hi I know this is an old thread I'm bringing back to life but I'd like to know if this is still an issue.

I'm not a dealer yet since my C4 training starts in 2 weeks in Toronto but I had to quote a client on a system last week and I included the 16 ch amp in it. I'm meeting with my client in 4 days (sept 3rd) and I'd like to be able to tell her what the system can and cannot do.

I've been reading on C4 for about 2 months now (and talking to my rep) and the more I hear about the 16 ch amp issues the less I feel comfortable selling it. (i.e. not strong/loud enough if used without the matrix switch, switching problems etc)

Here is my setup so maybe you guys can help me a bit here.

Zones

Family room- proposed: Media Controler, C4 16 ch amp, C4 Tuner, 10.5" touchscreen

Lobby- keypad

Dining room- PoE mini Touch screen

Kitchen- PoE mini Touch screen

Master bedroom- HC-300 - PoE mini Touch screen

Master bedroom Washroom - Keypad

Master bedroom walk-in- Keypad

Yard/Deck - ? (keypad in weatherproof casing?)

Wireless dimmers etc to be decided at a later date.

The client has a Bang & Olufsen receiver and a dvd player in the family room. Maybe I should have posted this before quoting her but is what I am proposing ok? (1) Should I add a matrix switch? (2) What can I use for the yard/deck? (Keypad etc) (3) Can I use another type/brand of amp and still have switching capabilities? (4)

I've heard of a few CI who installed Russound amps in a C4 install because C4's amp wasn’t digital.

I don't want to look dumb when I turn the switch on and the music sounds like crap coming out of the speakers. (Paradigm SA in-ceiling series)

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but sept 3rd is coming fast and getting a bit nervous about this.

Thanks!

Paul

Hi Paul, congrats on becoming a C4 dealer! I'm not a dealer and haven't used the 16 channel amp/switch so I can't help in that regard. I was looking at your system config and it seems redundant to have a mini touch screen and an HC-300 in the master bed room. If your clients spend a lot of time in the master bath maybe it would be better to move the MTC to that location. It's just a thought. Also, it sounds like C4 has some great new gear to announce at Cedia this year including an updated Media Controller with an 720p output that you might want to consider.

Hi Stash,

Great point on the MTS in the MB since they will most likely use the remote control from their bed. I did forget to mention they had a 5.1 setup in the MB (plasma TV over fireplace in front of bed) and a LCD screen in the medicine cabinet in the Master bath.

As for the new media controler in 720p, isnt this the HC-300???? I was told it was and that they already are shipping.

Can someone please clarify an operational aspect of the 16 channel amp. My understanding is that the amp can't switch input across the zones. That is to say that if I attach an audio source to the input jacks of zone 1 that source will only play out of the output jacks of zone 1. The amp has no internal switching mechanism to make an audio source connected to zone 1 input also play out of zone 2 output. For this to work one would need to use the matrix switch r some other type of switch device.

Can someone please clarify an operational aspect of the 16 channel amp. My understanding is that the amp can't switch input across the zones. That is to say that if I attach an audio source to the input jacks of zone 1 that source will only play out of the output jacks of zone 1. The amp has no internal switching mechanism to make an audio source connected to zone 1 input also play out of zone 2 output. For this to work one would need to use the matrix switch r some other type of switch device.

You are correct sir.

You do need a audio/video switch in order to play a source across multiplt zones. I use the NeoThings Avalon 8x8 http://www.neothings.com/Avalon.html

GoGo Delicious

The 16 channel Amp *does* have an integrated switch, and you can use it to matrix any input to any output.

In my installation at home, I have 8 audio zones, and 6 inputs, and they are switched using the Control4 amp.

Best practices dictates that if they have more than 8 zones, you use the 16x16 matrix switch, along with amps with their inputs locked to their outputs.

For any system with 8 or less zones, the matrix switch is not needed.

And to address your original issues with the Amp/Switch, I've never had any issues with it switching, and the latest release has changed the volume functionality on the amp to address some of the volume issues that were present previously.

RyanE

RyanE

Thanks for the info on the amp and the matrix switch.

Just to further clarify. Lets say I have 8 zones and 8 unique inputs to the C4 amp. CD player #1 is on input #1 and CD player #2 is on input #2. I want CD player #1 to play out zones 1, 2 and 3 and CD player #2 to play out zones 4, 5 and 6. With just the C4 amp I would be able to accomplish this?

So, in general any input can be switched to any single output or combination of outputson the C4 amp?

In summary the C4 amp has a built in matrix switch?

By the way RaynE. Would you mind telling us what your job is at C4. Just curious, if you don't want to divulge this I understand. You seem to frequent this list and have provided a wealth of info to folks like me.

Thanks

Alan

Alan,

Your summary is correct. There is a built-in matrix switch in the Control4 Amp. It's actually called (at least internally) the 'Amp/Switch'.

I'm a software engineer at Control4, I've done mostly 3rd-party integration (security panels / HVAC / iPort / IP Camera) drivers.

RyanE

Thank for the helpful info Ryan!

Unfortunatly I won't be able to make it to CEDIA since I'm getting married the next week. I know I know, I'm missing something....

I'm really excited about completing my C4 training (3 days after the wedding) so I can receive my own C4 order and start installing and programming it in my house!

Edited: oh I forgot, excited about the wedding too...

Archived