C4 Forums | Control4

Broker not connected to Director Error

Anyone having problems/previously had problems connecting on HC800 2.8....  Getting an error:

"Broker is not connected to Director.

The connection status is: 'Exception: Error reading JToken from JsonReader. Path ", line 0, position 0.'."

I have reinstalled Composer, disabled and re-enabled director and broken in system manager and still nothing.  Last time I was out on system, system was connecting fine.

2 hours ago, phatflow said:

Anyone having problems/previously had problems connecting on HC800 2.8....  Getting an error:

"Broker is not connected to Director.

The connection status is: 'Exception: Error reading JToken from JsonReader. Path ", line 0, position 0.'."

I have reinstalled Composer, disabled and re-enabled director and broken in system manager and still nothing.  Last time I was out on system, system was connecting fine.

update to at least 2.8.2 to resolve that problem...

Had exactly the same problem this morning.

To cure it (worked for me) start composer, at the 'connect to' page, select system manager at the bottom left - then connect to the 800 via system manager, close it then try connecting via composer again.

This worked fine for me on composer 2.8.0

Dean.

2 minutes ago, Gene said:

Problem is with 2.9.0... so its still a problem.

have not seen the problem with 2.9.0 nor has it been widely reported.  I would recommend a reboot.  The only other thing I can think of that could be using this is the system being overloaded.  So you can't get a connection in.

• 2 months later...

Try this...3rd one worked for me.

Virtual Composer 2.8.x and above Broker error

Solutions to Virtual Composer 2.8.x getting Broker error. 

If you see a broker error in Composer when attempting to connect to a Virtual Director there may be 2 possible issues:

• Port 8443: Another program is using the same network port as broker. 
  • Wrong libeay32.dll: There may be a bad or duplicate libeay32.dll file that needs to be removed.  
  • Bad Driver: There may be a bad driver causing Virtual Director to crash and needs to be removed. 

Solution 1: Bad Driver in Virtual Director 

If there is a bad driver in the Virtual Director project it will cause the Virtual Director to keep crashing and starting over and over. This will cause a broker error because broker and Virtual Director cannot talk to each other. 

• Locate directorstate file. 
    • Go to windows search type: %appdata%
    • Go to: Control4 
    • Go to your OS version folder: such as 2.8.0 or 2.8.1
    • Go to: etc
    • Delete all DirectorState files.
    • f4fb0cf1-52cd-4a68-8b00-fefc869f830b
    • Restart Composer and connect to Virtual Director 

Solution 2: Duplicate Network Port 

Composer connects to the Broker process is using port 8443. It is possible that other programs may also be using that same network port to connect. If this is the case you will need to change the port the alternate software is using. At this time this is not possible with Broker. 
Before changing the port you will need to contact the Software provider in order to check what ports can be used. If it is not possible with the 3rd party program to change their ports you must remove the 3rd party program before using Composer.   

?Know products using port 8443:

- Spice Works

- Ubiquity Unify Controller

In our example below we have found that Spice works will cause this issue but this is not limited to Spice works, Although on setting up Spice works you do get an option to change the ports.

Step one we need to open CMD (with administration rights)

1. 0d176318-28dd-4eac-ab29-50a4cb70bec9
  2. Run the command “netstat -abf 5 > Control4_Ports.txt”(Figure 2), Once you enter the command you need to hit enter, after around 2-3 Minutes you will need to cancel the command “Ctrl+C”.
    90e17503-911e-4a35-910f-ac7e149909d8
    d8b90c5c-57e7-45a1-8964-f0a3ac36a951
  3. Next we need to find the logs for the scrip we have just performed, this is loacated at the following “C:\Windows\System32” the file name is “Control4_Ports.txt”
    f785954b-4f3b-4800-906b-dd741aab039c
  4. Open the File Control4_Ports.txt, if you Search for 8443, you will find out what Program/service is using this port. In this case we can see that Spice works is using the Port 8443. After removing the program that is using the port from the PC, Composer 2.8.0 virtual composer will now work,

5e46ca70-df51-44ec-9f9e-dc655e909620

Solution 3: Remove or rename bad libeay32.dll file

The second solution has to do with a libeay32.dll file used by Composer being a bad file or duplicate file of a system directory file. If there is a second file located you must rename the second file to libeay32.old

Process Name is node.exe Include
Operation is Load Image Include

63e8d9e5-70f3-4eda-9ef8-e2635dc2541d

• Click Apply or OK, now you should see a blank list 6.
  • ? Open windows cmd prompt. (search in windows for cmd)
  • Change directory to broker folder
    • For 2.8.0 copy and paste into cmd prompt: cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Control4\ComposerPro280\Broker
    • For 2.8.1 copy and paste into cmd prompt: cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Control4\ComposerPro281\Broker
  • Paste this and hit enter: node.exe broker.js --log_file="" 
    • There should be a bunch of output now in the ProcMon program.
  • Edit->Find (or Ctrl-F) the string "libeay" and note the location.
  • If you find any locations that end with libeay32.dll go to those locations and rename the file. 
  • Re-launch composer and try to connect again. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.