C4 Forums | Control4

Homebridge Driver for HomeKit Support?

Joshua Pressnell

I upgraded my iPad to iOS11 and it couldn't see any HomeKit devices until I upgraded everything in HomeBridge for C4 today.  Upon rebooting the HomeBridge I got the message:

Could not chdir to home directory /home/homebridge: No such file or directory

Should there be a homebridge home folder on the bridge - mine is running on a RPi3?

1 minute ago, zaphod said:

I upgraded my iPad to iOS11 and it couldn't see any HomeKit devices until I upgraded everything in HomeBridge for C4 today.  Upon rebooting the HomeBridge I got the message:

Could not chdir to home directory /home/homebridge: No such file or directory

Should there be a homebridge home folder on the bridge - mine is running on a RPi3?

No, there shouldn’t need to be. I saw this happen one other time when an upgrade went weird. Most times it just corrects itself and uses an accessible temp directory instead. 

If you’re having issues post-update, PM me and we can get you sorted out. 

No issues - other than that error it looks ok as far as I can tell.

Are there any other HomeKit apps that are useful?  I have installed Elgato Eve and played around with that.  Anything else that is interesting?

FYI - my security system shows up but the Arm and Disarm functions don't work.  They do work properly in the C4 app.  This was the case before the upgrade as well.

Does HomeKit support cameras?

So with the addition of the new Liftmaster MyQ bridge with Homekit support do we thing it will show up and work with Control4 via your driver? With the apparent fall of the Wink driver this would be the next easy option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Peter11 said:

Does anyone have an experience using one of the Qmotion plugins for homebridge available at npm?

https://www.npmjs.com/search?q=qmotion

I have Qmotion shades with Qsync and I would like to be able to pull in to Homekit if possible.  I've read from some of the previous discussion how this can be tricky.  

Give it a try and let us know how it works!  Worst case, it should be pretty easy to revert back out if you don't like how it behaves.

@Joshua Pressnell - Your Homebridge solution is great to get C4 devices into Apple Homekit.  Is it possible to go the other way and get HomeKit devices, especially devices that don't have C4 drivers, into C4?  I am guessing not.

It is amazing how fast Homebridge/HomeKit is.  I have it set to get notifications when a door is opened and these seem to come within milliseconds of the door opening.

@Joshua Pressnell - Your Homebridge solution is great to get C4 devices into Apple Homekit.  Is it possible to go the other way and get HomeKit devices, especially devices that don't have C4 drivers, into C4?  I am guessing not.

It is amazing how fast Homebridge/HomeKit is.  I have it set to get notifications when a door is opened and these seem to come within milliseconds of the door opening.

Yeah... unfortunately, not so much.  I can pull C4 stuff into HomeKit, not the other way around (at least not yet)

3 hours ago, Joshua Pressnell said:

Give it a try and let us know how it works!  Worst case, it should be pretty easy to revert back out if you don't like how it behaves.

Will do.  I'm going to try using this package

https://www.npmjs.com/package/qmotion

I purchased your software and pi device (I'm the guy that's emailed you a bit about the thermostat issues).  Anyway, I'm a bit of a novice and don't want to screw things up so I'll try to proceed with caution.   Not sure if I need to edit any files and to what extent.  

34 minutes ago, Peter11 said:

Will do.  I'm going to try using this package

https://www.npmjs.com/package/qmotion

I purchased your software and pi device (I'm the guy that's emailed you a bit about the thermostat issues).  Anyway, I'm a bit of a novice and don't want to screw things up so I'll try to proceed with caution.   Not sure if I need to edit any files and to what extent.  

You will need to edit the underlying homebridge configuration files to include the setup that the qmotion package requires.  They should provide an example of what options are needed.  Just be sure to leave the rest of the file formatting alone.  If you get something super screwed up, I can always help out. :)

6 hours ago, Joshua Pressnell said:

You will need to edit the underlying homebridge configuration files to include the setup that the qmotion package requires.  They should provide an example of what options are needed.  Just be sure to leave the rest of the file formatting alone.  If you get something super screwed up, I can always help out. :)

Well I gave it a try, but not knowledgable enough to make it through.  Installing the plugin gives me the following error:

npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/package.json'
npm WARN !invalid#1 No description
npm WARN !invalid#1 No repository field.
npm WARN !invalid#1 No README data
npm WARN !invalid#1 No license field.

It appears that I need to create my own package.json file?  But that's way beyond my abilities.  

If anyone has installed the qmotion plugin for homebridge and has some advice, would be much appreciated.  Thanks

Anyone using integrated Vera stuff with @Joshua Pressnell homebridge appliance? All my lights are controlled by a VeraPlus controller and are fully integrated with C4. I'd think if I get this appliance, it's going to treat the lights as C4 lights and fans, right?

With the homebridge-wink, I could identify IDs as fans and get a fan icon. This was really nice since I have lights also in the fan and it makes it easier to differentiate between the "Living Room Fan" and "Living Room Fan Light" -- how does the appliance handle this?

I would like to avoid homebridge-vera, etc. and stay out of messing directly with the appliance.

2 hours ago, Elvis said:

Anyone using integrated Vera stuff with @Joshua Pressnell homebridge appliance? All my lights are controlled by a VeraPlus controller and are fully integrated with C4. I'd think if I get this appliance, it's going to treat the lights as C4 lights and fans, right?

With the homebridge-wink, I could identify IDs as fans and get a fan icon. This was really nice since I have lights also in the fan and it makes it easier to differentiate between the "Living Room Fan" and "Living Room Fan Light" -- how does the appliance handle this?

I would like to avoid homebridge-vera, etc. and stay out of messing directly with the appliance.

The home bridge driver uses the drivers proxy to determine if it is a  light. So if it is already identified in the Control4 system as a light, then Home will see it as a light same goes for the fan. Of course, I'm not  familiar with that particular lighting system however I am comfortable that if it's integrated into Control4 it can work with the Home bridge and Home. 

• 2 months later...

This thread has been quiet for a while!

I have Homebridge running on a Pi.  Should I be doing an occasional sudo apt-get update and upgrade on the Pi, in addition to the Updates from the Homebridge Web UI?

You can actually update homebridge from the web UI just as easily. But I generally figure that if it’s not broken, don’t fix it. If there’s something you need to correct, or some new feature you need, go for it. But mostly I tend to just leave it alone. 

2 minutes ago, zaphod said:

That was fast - thanks.  Anything new coming, like more devices that would be supported in HomeKit?

Well... unfortunately, there’s a limit on how quickly new devices can come out. HomeKit has a limit on what’s natively supported and Apple only updates once per year. The “big change” this year was support for speakers, so I can add support for room volume control eventually. 

Unfortunately, my day job has been kicking my butt and I haven’t had time to play with that yet, after keeping up with normal support duties. 

4 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Ok, thanks.  So does that mean we will be able to control C4 audio through HomeKit as if they were the new Apple speaker?

Not quite. HomeKit makes the generic concept of a “speaker” available. Apple used that for volume control or the HomePod, but it fits for anything that provides discreet volume levels (can set to specific % and receive feedback on current level). If your room setup can only do “volume up” and “volume down” and doesn’t report current %, it probably won’t work. But for those of us with discrete room volume levels, it should work out nicely.  Basically, there will be a new “device” in the room that represents the room’s volume level, and you can use that to turn it up and down. 

2 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Ok good, am I correct that devices like C4 Matrix amps and Music Bridge are the types of devices that have discrete volume?  Anything else - like amps connected via IP or serial that have two way comms?

Yep. Most of that stuff is discrete audio. If you see a percentage in the volume display on C4, it should work ok. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.