C4 Forums | Control4

Questions re old C4 System

rchawla80

Hi everyone,

I need some more advice and I am hoping some experts can help me out! We have had our C4 system for about 15 months and by my earlier posts, we have seen some issues with upgrading to 1.6 without an HC300. I have spoken with the deler to upgrade us to an HC300 at cost and he is okay with that.

That being said, I wanted everyone's take for 1.7. I am really keen on getting C4 on with video streaming. Do you think having 1 HC300 in the house and the rest old HTC's will be enough for video streaming into 4 zones at once? I run a gigabit network so bandwidth isn't an issue. Will 1.7 be able to take movies off my NAS box (Dlink DNS-323) and stream to any zone with Cat5e? Or will i need video feeds?

Does any forsee me putting in a bigger investment to get the house video ready? Would love to hear from people.

Thank you.

R

To do video streaming with C4 it is going to require a device that can decode video. The HC300 does not decode video. There is a device they are working on that is in the same form factor as an HC200 that can presently do this. The demonstrated it at Cedia.

1.6 Is great primarily for the Rhapsody integration and some other really cool features. I must say, Rhapsody is a worthwhile upgrade. An HC300 is also an extremely nice upgrade.

OK some clarification please. I saw the same thing Dan is describing at Cedia... small device easily hidden behind a TV, takes 1 Cat5 and puts out component video and analog audio. Is that not the HC200?

I think you're confusing two things. The HC200 is as described, but does not offer the features that the original poster is looking for (video decoding of files from a NAS). This product (the MediaPoint) was shown as "proof of concept" at CEDIA this year with no further details.

^^^LOL!

Ok so that lil 1" x 3" x 3" box they showed us "velcro'ed to the back of an LCD" at Cedia (that also did everything in the C4 world on 1 single Cat)... was just 'in development'

I actually thought that was the HC200, and that it was available... please let us know when THAT THING ships, K?

*and in my defense, I was drinking heavily at Cedia (last 2 years even)... boss kept buyin 'em so I kept drinkin 'em :P

^^^LOL!

Ok so that lil 1" x 3" x 3" box they showed us "velcro'ed to the back of an LCD" at Cedia (that also did everything in the C4 world on 1 single Cat)... was just 'in development'

I actually thought that was the HC200, and that it was available... please let us know when THAT THING ships, K?

*and in my defense, I was drinking heavily at Cedia (last 2 years even)... boss kept buyin 'em so I kept drinkin 'em :P

If you cant remember what you saw, and you were there, I can't help you remember what you think you saw because I wasn't there :P

If you cant remember what you saw, and you were there, I can't help you remember what you think you saw because I wasn't there :P

Yeah yeah, wut-ev. I feel stupid enough for thinking it was the 200... rub it in.

We'll soon see if what I think I saw actually does what they say it will do :P

The controller on the back of the LCD was an HC-200, not a media player. It's also a bit bigger than 1"x3"x3". It's basically the same size as a VHS tape (if you know what that is!)... :)

It was announced at the show, but not shipping at show time.

There is no Control4 media player announced at CEDIA or since.

I wasn't drinking at CEDIA, I was working the booth.

:)

RyanE

I recall it being more like the size of an 8-track (if you know what that is) or even a bit smaller... but hey I was wasted.

Glad to know it was the 200 tho, thought I was goin nutz for a sec. And the guy there with the heavy Austrian accent told us it would make the world a better place to live in (make our beds, do the dishes, walk the dogs, etc).

Ok now I'm just having fun :)

Archived