C4 Forums | Control4

Media Center Control

bog

XBMC has a 2-way interface that is ideal for control with Control4.

You can control the playback of media and get information about the library and currently playing media.

Has anyone integrated this into Control4?

XBMC and Boxee (based on XBMC) can both be installed on the Apple TV... a great device perfect for the living room.

The xbmc driver is actually a 1 way driver that uses the XBMC web interface to send commands. It has been tested on XBMC original xbox and XBMC PC and it works as expected.

Two way comms is expected to be added in the future to add auto scan capabilities for both video and audio files. This driver is developed by a 3rd party developer so there is no support from C4 on this one.

Personally it is my media player of preference:)

At the moment it works on a few pop3 servers however not the majority. no further work is going to be done on the driver. To be honest i only made it as a tool for myself:) Feel free to modify the driver though.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i think he might mind. the reason he stopped giving away drivers and posting them for the american market in entirely is because non c4 dealers were handing his drivers out and filling his pm box and email with questions and support related issues. i think all non dealers, if the have alans or anyones elses drivers to themselves. it's part of why nobody but the companies i associate my self with ever see my drivers.

jwhitaker, I know that, which is exactly why I haven't ever shared the driver or posted it on the site. I figured I would through it out there and see if he responded. FYI...I have never sent him an email or PM, for this very reason as well.

• 2 weeks later...

The driver is and should only be installed by dealers. If any consumer has gotten the driver then that is in breach of the terms of usage of my driver and Control4's terms of use. many of my driers have been distributed withotu my consent, some have been modified and code has been taken to create other drivers without my consent (ie people are using my code and are claiming it as their own).

All drivers post xbmc are encrypted and have been locked down with a licence key locked to the mac address of your master controller so even if you do get it. it'll be useless.

I hope this gives you an understanding on what has happened to my intellectual property in the past and the measures i have gone (both personally and for convergent technologies aka c4au) to ensure that my/c4au's work is not distributed without my/our permission.

Joe was correct in what he said and that is why i no longer give out any of my drivers for free. Basically i cracked it because people were just not appreciative and i advised the c4 dealer community that there will be no more freebies due to unreasonable demands from people i just don't have a responsibility to. Anyway this was a long time ago so i'll leave this in the past.

Alan,

Do you have a website that gives an overview of the drivers you do sell? I have heard great things about your XBMC driver and wanted to know what drivers you currently offer. It also nice to be able to support the dealers that really do innovate by allowing us to use cutting edge devices in C4 through updated drivers.

Thanks

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FYI, I didn't post any drivers on *******. I just happened to search for control4 there and found two drivers: XBMC and WMC. I'm not stealing anyone's intellectual properties rights, etc. I'm just an avid user who enjoys customizing my own system how I see fit. To say that me or anyone else ruined Alan's work is a huge (ridiculous) stretch, I'm not buying it. If you're that ^ ignorant, go ahead and believe that.

Archived