C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Voice Remote

cdepaola

I'd be curious to hear how often these remotes get used for voice control.

My biggest issue is their most obvious limitation - you need to have that thing in front of you to use it. Just don't see myself using it simply because of that - why would I, I already have the remote in hand.

Just for search functions? I can't begin to imagine how you'd implement that other than for 'native' C4 searches - which would be too limiting.

So...why go that route at all over improving/creating/integrating 'space' voice control?

yes, with all the content out there these days to choose from, search is important to people...welcome to 2016 (almost 2017)!

most of our customers prefer to use the Xfinity X1 remotes, Fire TV remotes, etc...because they are hooked on the voice search, which is much faster than using the remote to type their search terms.

It is getting very difficult for us to convince customers to buy & use the 260's when they have a much sexier, and more useful remote provided for free by Xfinity, Amazon, etc..

Agree with Chopedogg 100%... For search we use the xfinity and FireTV remotes 100% of the time over the sr250 or ios app. Now that xfinity also has Netflix native to X1 platform its even better as its universal search, just like fireTV. 

Slightly off topic, but another issue with using c4 remotes is that there is some latency, even when using IP drivers. The Apple TV one is pretty good, but the xfinity IR and Fire TV IP drivers are laggy when compared to using the native remotes, which no longer use IR.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Curious. FireTV isn't available in Canada, nor are their voice control Cable/Sat boxes (at least not on this side of Canada) so it's limited to ATV4 - and from among my customers, there's only one using it - and only in the Theatre, and then only because it is easier in the dark.

Problem I'd foresee though is that it seems obvious to me that the advantage is first and foremost, if not exclusively, searching - which would mean tying into all the different voice controls to do so, at best a licensing nightmare assuming it's even possible, or tying into some form of direct search option in all the different APIs, again assuming it's even in existence (and those are some really big assumptions). Regardless of other possibilities, without the ability to do search on devices such as those mentioned, I would assume neither of you could care less?

Unless all you're looking to do is 'searching' native C4 databases (ie the built in My Movies, possibly drivers like Chowmain's KODI) this becomes and incredible investment of resources to accomplish. Again, assuming it's even possible to do this in some official way (because I really don't think it would be worth considering doing it reverse engineer).

Again - would that still make sense? Or would it make more sense to look at a fully handsfree option (better than what we have available now through Amazon/Google, and what we HAD with VoicePod).

In general, I've not seen or heard from 'my' end-users that there are delay issues, excepting one particular device which is just slow in and of itself, neither on IR or IP drivers.

Can't speak for Xfinity X1 direct, but I personally have the SAME hardware box for a regional service - and yes it's that one box that is slow in and of itself, I've extensively tested it (and tested my family's patience) for differences with the C4 driver I created for it, vs the box' own remote and couldn't tell you if there is a difference. Now that may be 'gone' with an IP driver, but there is no protocol here for me to use - and from what I hear, it's been lacking on the X1 despite supposedly being in the works for a year and a half....but without an IP driver, there'd be no way to use voice control to begin with ....

Archived