C4 Forums | Control4

Latest Router recommendation???

C4Newbie

Im going to go with the WRVS4400N, thanks guys.

What about FIOS? Has anyone had any experience using their router, along with FIOS TV? Ive been doing some research and the FIOS router seems like a pain in the arse when it comes to using another router instead. Here's the only solution Ive found, and it doesnt appear to work for everyone:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20006536-Make-your-actiontec-a-bridge-with-VOD-working-with-REV-D

It's not that difficult to transform into a bridge. I had no problems when using it though...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're looking for an access point you can get the Cisco Aironet 1230 (preowned) and pair it up with a Cisco AS5505. All can be had for sub $500 and it'ts commercial grade. Someone pointed out earlier the problems with the FIOS Actiontec router. There are known limitations with it's NAT table and it does have problems with embedded Linux wireless devices - you can probably dig up a thread or two on the Sonos forums (problems plagued them for many many months) and DSL reports. Also, you do need a MOCA (think IP over COAX) bridge (the Actiontech) so your STB's can get guide info. With the right cabling plant and a little help from Verizon you can drop the Actiontech (replace it with a Moto MOCA bridge) and use your own gear exclusively.

BTW, the Aironet 1230 is POE so you can hang it just about anywhere you can get cat5 to. And this gear does not need to be periodically cold started.

Im going to go with the WRVS4400N' date=' thanks guys.

What about FIOS? Has anyone had any experience using their router, along with FIOS TV? Ive been doing some research and the FIOS router seems like a pain in the arse when it comes to using another router instead. Here's the only solution Ive found, and it doesnt appear to work for everyone:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20006536-Make-your-actiontec-a-bridge-with-VOD-working-with-REV-D[/quote']

It's not that difficult to transform into a bridge. I had no problems when using it though...

Have you actually done this, while also having access to FIOS TV and the guide/on demand content? From what I have read that is where the difficulty comes in... if you are just using internet then you can even remove the FIOS router entirely from the system.

^ There are options for removing the actiontech (or limiting it's use) from your environment. As you've eluded to, bridging the actiontech in certain configurations does not permit guide data to flow over MOCA. The detail is well beyond the scope of this forum. Take a look at the attachment, it should answer most of your questions. If you need help working through this you can PM me (I'll likely ask you for an inventory of your networking gear, model #'s and type of cable running from your FIOS demarc to the actiontech (cat5 or coax).

Ok. I can't seem to upload a pdf as an attachment. Tried renaming the file to a jpg and there must be a filter looking for a valid jpg header too. If I can't figure this out just PM me and I'll send the attachment to you via email.

Archived