C4 Forums | Control4

Pakedge vs other

Any benefit to going with an end to end Pakedge solution over say an Ubiquiti and Araknis solution?  I have used The Ub/Arak solution with no issues and I have full remote access via OVRC on every network port and power outlet.  I can sell this solution at half the price while making more.  If it is a tried and true rock solid solution then it's probably worth it?  I know I can put 4 Ubiquiti AP's in a big house with good results but the Pakedge AP's at 3x the price?

Why fix what is not broken?

Ubiquiti is rock solid and the price just cannot be beat. I understand that the margins arent that great but you can offset that with labor/config/programming/etc.

I personally love Ubiquiti products and have no issues with it. I am pretty sure you will also have great success if you decide to go with Pakedge.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, forum said:

What does that mean exactly? I think Ubiquiti is superior to Pakedge in every category.

what do you use? Ubiquiti waps or all network devices (routers, switches) ? we work with Luxul, not bad so far.

I've installed and used:

Luxul

Cisco

Ubiquiti

Araknis

Netgear

D-Link

Untangle

DD-WRT Firmwares

Tomato Firmwares

I like Ubiquiti's transparency with their integrator/consumer.

It seems to me that the AV industry saw a category that they can add to their product line and are packaging up Luxul, Pakedge as some sort of elite networking product.

But I don't think Luxul and Pakedge are worth their asking price considering companies like Ubiquiti are on the market offering more robust solutions at half the cost.

Also, I think the problem with Pakedge is that you'd have to contact a Control4 dealer to help you with your network. That is off putting considering many AV integrators don't know Network Engineering very well. Many people would like to fix their networks themselves, or have an IT person.

The upfront implementation of Pakedge is expensive, and I think long term support for a consumer would be equally expensive.

I see it like Control4 Lighting. Once you install Control4 lighting, you are married to a Control4 dealer. 

But if you choose something like Lutron Lighting, you have much more selection of electricians and companies that you can choose to support your lighting system.

And Lutron lighting can be integrating into other systems such as Crestron, iRule, etc etc etc.

On 1/30/2017 at 7:42 PM, Control-IT said:

forum..Have you installed both products? I can make a lot more on Ubiquiti that's for sure.

For information sake, how are you making more on Ubiquiti than say Pakedge? That comment goes against the "dealer" model that claims that if integrators use Pakedge there are more margins.

36 minutes ago, forum said:

Also, I think the problem with Pakedge is that you'd have to contact a Control4 dealer to help you with your network

Why? Pakedge is still an individual product/company. It's not limited in it's availability to Control4 Dealers only.

33 minutes ago, forum said:

That comment goes against the "dealer" model that claims that if integrators use Pakedge there are more margins

That would still depend on the final margin.

The biggest advantage of Pakedge right now would be that it offers a very reliable product for dealers with full in house support, particularly for Control4 use, to dealers that are NOT so knowledgeable about network setup. If it's the 'right' fit for everyone is a different matter.

And why couldn't the "IT professional" or homeowner who plays one, configure or troubleshoot a Pakedge network if they have the login credentials?

There is nothing saying that, once installed, only a C4 dealer is allowed to touch the system.

3 hours ago, d1amund said:

And why couldn't the "IT professional" or homeowner who plays one, configure or troubleshoot a Pakedge network if they have the login credentials?

There is nothing saying that, once installed, only a C4 dealer is allowed to touch the system.

Yeah, you're right. At that point why would that individual ask a dealer to supply any of the network components. They would probably source their own.

I had a Luxul ABR440 router, Luxul PoE switch, and a Luxul unmanaged switch all put in by my dealer. I had sporadic issues, so I took out the router and PoE switch and replaced them with an edgerouter lite and a PoE edgeswitch and it has been rock solid since. I left in the Luxul unmanaged switch because it looks great in the rack and I haven't had any issues with it. 

The premium price for Pakedge/Luxul is just not worth it IMO. With that being said, read up on the Ubnt gear. It is not for the faint of heart, it's not plug and play and there are occasionally firmware bugs such as 5.4.9 for the UniFi AP line that was released then pulled a few weeks later.

• 1 year later...
On 2/5/2017 at 2:17 PM, Cyknight said:

Why? Pakedge is still an individual product/company. It's not limited in it's availability to Control4 Dealers only.

That would still depend on the final margin.

The biggest advantage of Pakedge right now would be that it offers a very reliable product for dealers with full in house support, particularly for Control4 use, to dealers that are NOT so knowledgeable about network setup. If it's the 'right' fit for everyone is a different matter.

Is that any performance advantage or quality advantage  for Pakedge solution of RK/SX, compared to UniFi solution for managed network?  Other than bakpak for dealer manage remotely.  

21 hours ago, 88Tiger88 said:

Is that any performance advantage or quality advantage  for Pakedge solution of RK/SX, compared to UniFi solution for managed network?  Other than bakpak for dealer manage remotely.  

Directly, no - the added value is primarily in advanced support from C4 for the dealer, and thus a level of "guarantee" (not in the written, legal form!) for the end-user.

• 2 years later...

To me Pakedge seems like the "Monster Cable" of networking hardware. 

As a computer engineer, successful startup founder, and someone who runs his own home network...  the Ubiquiti stuff seems higher end, slicker UI, and higher functionality than Pakedge. I've been running Ubiquity for 10+ years.. in one home with 5 APs (one meshed to the pool-mechanical room), the other home with 8 APs and dual wan on an edgerouter 4. Both running SmartQueue / Codel for amazing multi-user low-latency. 

We just moved to a house with a pakedge system installed (8 APs).. and it had bad wifi packet loss. Turns out the problem is the pakedge 5g radios are all on a single channel (according to my trusty android network analyzer), but the NK1 thinks they are on different channels (firmware is all updated). I spent a little time trying to debug it, but the NK1 interface was too slow and awkward, and nothing I tried had any affect on the AP channels.. I'm a big fan of ubiquity, and don't trust software with glitches like this, so I just ordered up the stuff I like and am going to replace the Pakedge APs shortly.

For now I'm keeping the Pakedge router, because it has all the home-automation config. The UI on the RK1 router seems fine, and certainly easier to use than the direct edgerouter-4 UI. However, I can't find any support for Codel .. and for me this is a must-have because it has such a positive effect on interactive latency when there are many users pounding the network with video streaming and video conferencing. (such as my kids distance learning)

And BTW, the reason I run my own home network is that I notice glitchy networks, have no tolorance for them, and it takes me less time to fix them than to schedule and discuss it with field techs. 

If I wasn't installing my own hardware, I would be glad to have an installer charge the same margin on a Ubiquity install (with config fees), I get a better product, and a lower total price. Why would I be upset about that? 

I'm a big fan of ubiquity, and don't trust software with glitches like this

While I completely respect your experience and knowledge, I find this statement rich given how much Ubiquiti, especially with Unifi, has become more and more of a beta product lineup in the last few years and constantly are releasing FW updates and changes that straight-up break or bork functionality. 

As a developer and infrastructure engineer my self, I've actually had it with UBNT and am moving away from them....

1 hour ago, tmj4 said:

While I completely respect your experience and knowledge, I find this statement rich given how much Ubiquiti, especially with Unifi, has become more and more of a beta product lineup in the last few years and constantly are releasing FW updates and changes that straight-up break or bork functionality. 

As a developer and infrastructure engineer my self, I've actually had it with UBNT and am moving away from them....

Welcome to the better side!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.