C4 Forums | Control4

UniFi Drivers Coming Soon - Ideas

annex⁴

I find that my Unifi controller isn't always very good about determining if wired devices are connected to my LAN - these are devices that are connected to a non-Unifi switch and may not be connecting to the internet on a regular basis.

The controller is pretty good about wifi devices as the Unifi controller knows about them since they are connecting to Unifi WAPs.  It should pick those up instantaneously.

But this reduces the efficacy of using this driver to notify you about IP controlled devices going down - like AVRs, etc.

I have a device called a fingbox that is somewhat better at doing this.  But they don't seem to have an open API.

Don’t have my Unify gear yet, but Fingbox does seem to be pretty good at this.  It would be nice to see Fing API/drivers but it seems like this Annex4 driver may be the way to go for now. 

I plan to automate emails/announcements/recovery when key wired devices are off the network.  Timing probably isn’t as critical as wireless devices but hope it’s reasonably consistent.

Very much looking forward to this driver. I rely on some wonky code involving the Ping driver to handle some Yamaha AVR network disconnects and logically this will provide a much better mechanism.

11 minutes ago, jfh said:

Don’t have my Unify gear yet, but Fingbox does seem to be pretty good at this.  It would be nice to see Fing API/drivers but it seems like this Annex4 driver may be the way to go for now. 

I agree 100%.  Fing was bought by Domotz in 2016.  Domotz Pro can run on a Fingbox and appears to have an API but it is more targetted at the professional and appears to cost $19/month.  But it would be great to see something more reasonable that could run on C4.

Alternatively, maybe someone could write a network monitor app for C4.  You could put a bunch of IPs on watchlist and it could poll them every few minutes and then you could take action if the status changes. That would let you know if a device like an AVR or TV had fallen off your network. 

But it wouldn't work for Geofencing or Presence sensing - two things that are useful to some folks in C4 and other HA  systems.

• 7 months later...
30 minutes ago, Amr said:

Works well for me, require some basic programing to allow for Notifications on C4 GUI and App, what is the issue!

Im having trouble also but in contact with TheWizard. He thinks it might be to do with me running the latest FW on the Controller: v. 1.1.13

What version are you using?

5 minutes ago, Waring192 said:

Im having trouble also but in contact with TheWizard. He thinks it might be to do with me running the latest FW on the Controller: v. 1.1.13

What version are you using?

Controller version 5.14.23

Firmware version 4.3.21.11325

Note that My AP’s are UAP-AC-LR

17 minutes ago, Amr said:

Firmware version 4.3.21.11325

Note that My AP’s are UAP-AC-LR

Sorry, mine is:

UniFi Cloud Key G2+ firmware is v. 1.1.13 (what controller are you using?)

AP's are UniFi AP-nanoHD with firmware 4.3.21.11325

Edited by Waring192

18 minutes ago, Waring192 said:

Sorry, mine is:

UniFi Cloud Key G2+ firmware is v. 1.1.13 (what controller are you using?)

AP's are UniFi AP-nanoHD with firmware 4.3.21.11325

Am running the controller over Docker on my Synology NAS, working just fine and I don’t use or need Cloud key!

29 minutes ago, Amr said:

Am running the controller over Docker on my Synology NAS, working just fine and I don’t use or need Cloud key!

Hmm, I'm running the Cloudkey 2+ so I can use UniFi Protect also...

If I installed UniFi Video and Controller on my Unraid box would it work the same as it is now and could sell the Cloudkey 2+?

3 hours ago, Waring192 said:

Hmm, I'm running the Cloudkey 2+ so I can use UniFi Protect also...

If I installed UniFi Video and Controller on my Unraid box would it work the same as it is now and could sell the Cloudkey 2+?

Yes, it should, just copy the configuration over your new setup, cloud key should have cut it for you, am not sure why all this hassle with Gen 2!

Just now, Waring192 said:

Sounds perfect! What about my UniFI Protect? Shall I use UniFi Video instead?

Am not familiar with the protect yet, I have one cam that was never installed, my understanding it works with Cloud key only, I believe some used the Video already but not sure about the setup, it will need some research!

@annex⁴

I've got a number of scenarios that would integrate well:

1. Ability to enable/disable a device from the network (Wifi and otherwise). Doing this via C4 programming would be ideal. 
  2. Show a QR Code on a T3 that let's someone join the Wifi network. Easy to do, especially for IOS devices. Scenario here is guests coming over and needing to be on the wifi. They walk over to a T3, hit the "Join Network" button, and point their IOS Camera at the QR Code. From there, they're on the network. 
  3. Integrate with Greenlight, so if the kids chores are not done, no wifi for them.
  4. Turn down the LEDs on the Wifi Access Points via C4 programming (or automated with schedules). 
  5. Pop up an event in the Intercom Anywhere app (or similar) when a *new* device joins my Wifi network. 
  6. Give me an event in programming for "iPhone XYZ connects to Wifi". This is probably me driving home and the phone connecting.

I love these ideas too but it would be great if this could be all encompassing and would include wired clients as well as wireless clients.  The problem is that Unifi isn't as good monitoring wired clients unless they are directly connected to a Unifi switch.

For example - it would be great to know that an IP connected TV has dropped off the LAN (or a bunch of other types of clients).

That's why I mused in a thread that it would be great to have a C4 driver for something like fingbox that is better at monitoring all devices on your LAN.

1 minute ago, zaphod said:That's why I mused in a thread that it would be great to have a C4 driver for something like fingbox that is better at monitoring all devices on your LAN.

I would absolutely love a Fing driver and pay well for one.

The two UniFi drivers really need to have combined function to be useful and I think a Fing driver would be a much better option (and more widely used)

3 hours ago, ChrisM said:

@annex⁴

1. Show a QR Code on a T3 that let's someone join the Wifi network. Easy to do, especially for IOS devices. Scenario here is guests coming over and needing to be on the wifi. They walk over to a T3, hit the "Join Network" button, and point their IOS Camera at the QR Code. From there, they're on the network

Is there any way this can be done without the Unifi Driver?  I have the QR code already for joining my guest network, is there a way to hit a button / experience button the T3 to display a pre selected image?

11 hours ago, shupp872 said:

Is there any way this can be done without the Unifi Driver?  I have the QR code already for joining my guest network, is there a way to hit a button / experience button the T3 to display a pre selected image?

Actually am using a very nice elegant device called WiFi porter, I hang one in each Floor in visible spots, tap your device and connect, no need for anything else, no QR code’s, all guests use it to connect to guest network ...

AF3E7D6D-4C55-47B6-8671-B6431B6EB403.png

10 minutes ago, Pounce said:

FYI you can do this for like $5 with NFC stickers off Amazon. You get the stickers and can program them from your phone.

With iPhones?  I thought that Apple severely restricts access to NFC on the iPhone, at least they used to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.