C4 Forums | Control4

UniFi Drivers Coming Soon - Ideas

annex⁴

On 1/26/2017 at 9:41 AM, lippavisual said:

VLAN control would be great so that there is another manufacturer to choose from for JAP installs.  The Edge and Unifi switches are great for the money.  I'd rather these than anything Luxul.

I mean, you could use Cisco.

On 1/23/2017 at 4:48 PM, Cyknight said:

vlan control, blocking internet access to devices, possibly dynamically rerouting a media player (say a Roku) between a parental control OpenVPN setup or not.

Block server access for mediaplayers pointing locally as wqell (ie block of a server that has all movies with R/Mature ratings from 6am to 10pm)

Control over AP on/off times, or even radio output level control for those to whom that is a concern.

Network monitoring, allowing triggers for programming (ie kid's phone has now used x amount of data - start a siren!, or x % of data is iTunes/ATV - block further access, or send a push notification to everyone to stop.

Can see even more function on a business/commercial level for those heavy into doing C4 there.

All depends on what the API allows really.

Could also be a base for more.

I'm sure they'll hate me for saying it - but in the end, I would say it'll depend on cost vs benefit - but I can see potential.

The bold:  Does anyone know if there are a lot of SMBs or Enterprises that actually deploy Control4 systems in the same way Crestron has captured this market?  When it comes to Ubiquiti networking gear, i think that they are purchased by three distinct camps, in general:

1.) Prosumer home enthusiasts who have complex home networks and see the benefits of Ubiquiti's networking gear

2.) SMBs

3.) Enterprises, especially for Ubiquiti's UniFi access points

I personally fall into the first category, as I have 3 Ubiquiti switches from their EdgeSwitch line, and they are absolutely awesome.  I also recently shutdown my Apple Timecapsule + Airport Express Wifi network (now used only as my main wired router + Airplay audio only) in exchange for a Ubiquiti UniFi WiFi access point network at home, and love it. Eventually, I'm going to purchase a EdgeRouter ER-8, as my Timecapsule is dropping between 20-50Mbps off of my Internet connection due to its slow packet-processing speed.

annex, Assuming that most Control4 systems are deployed in home environments that don't have complex needs for Ubiquiti networking gear, the cost-benefit may not be huge. With that said, I'm glad your focusing on Ubiquiti networking anyway, because Ubiquiti networking gear is seriously awesome.  

Maybe with the DPI capabilities of the UniFi and Edgeswitch lines, having Control4 reconfigure QOS based on DPI analysis would be cool (if that makes sense).  For example, if usage of the home's AppleTV(s) increases 50% over a period of 5 days, QOS configuration changes can be made to prioritize traffic on the network ports the AppleTV(s) are attached to.  I don't know if you can get DPI analysis info out of the Edgeswitches or UniFi switches easily (maybe Ubiquiti has a REST API running on the switche's EdgeOS, but I haven't looked into this), but I could see this being useful.

8 hours ago, KwamiKontrol said:

I personally fall into the first category, as I have 3 Ubiquiti switches from their EdgeSwitch line, and they are absolutely awesome.  I also recently shutdown my Apple Timecapsule + Airport Express Wifi network (now used only as my main wired router + Airplay audio only) in exchange for a Ubiquiti UniFi WiFi access point network at home, and love it. Eventually, I'm going to purchase a EdgeRouter ER-8, as my Timecapsule is dropping between 20-50Mbps off of my Internet connection due to its slow packet-processing speed.

annex, Assuming that most Control4 systems are deployed in home environments that don't have complex needs for Ubiquiti networking gear, the cost-benefit may not be huge. With that said, I'm glad your focusing on Ubiquiti networking anyway, because Ubiquiti networking gear is seriously awesome.  

We are only supporting UniFi product, the edge gear will not be included in any of the drivers.

Also you will be required to be running a UniFi controller as this is how we will be interfacing.  If your setup is a standalone access point then you won't benefit from anything we have coming.

On 1/27/2017 at 5:06 PM, Cyknight said:

When it comes to JAP - Luxul is probably better - that said, it's probably the only thing I consider using Luxul for...

On 1/28/2017 at 8:34 AM, lippavisual said:

Cisco has its own issues at times and for the money, can be beaten over several times. 

Not saying that it was the solution, just that there are options to have Cisco switches. Have an older 2G+ job, though small at a 5x5, running on an sg300 switch fine. All my bigger jobs since have been with luxul and blackwire and work great. If UBNT proves to have the features needed at a good price point and stability then the market competition is welcome.

Does their API allow you to get a list of devices connected to a specific access point? How about being able to see MAC addresses on a network?

Would be cool to program based off of whether the clients' phone is connected to a specific WAP or on any WAP.

+1

Happy Automating!

On 1/25/2017 at 11:14 PM, VINCELdUB said:

This is s system wide setting. However each Wap and device can be set to ignore the site setting for led.

Happy Automating!

I just upgraded from an older version of the Unifi Controller to 5.4.9 and you can now do this on a AP by AP basis.  My old version was something like 3.2.7 and there it was only a global setting.  There is also a docker container for the Controller which works well on my unRAID server.

Getting a little OT here but does anyone know if the prosumer Ubiquiti routers (like Edgerouter X) can: (1) handle 1Gbps WAN-LAN throughput and (2) run OpenVPN server?

My current router is an Asus RT-N66u running Merlin firmware.  I run OpenVPN server on the router which is very convenient for VPNing into my network, especially for products like Control4 as it saves you $100/yr.  My internet service is rated at 250/20 but speedtests at 320/22.  But my ISP now offers 1000/50 service and I may upgrade to that but there is no point if your router can't handle those speeds.  I was setting up an old PC to run pfSense but a Ubiquiti may make more sense and should integrate nicely into my network as I have the Unifi APs and am running the controller software.

39 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Getting a little OT here but does anyone know if the prosumer Ubiquiti routers (like Edgerouter X) can: (1) handle 1Gbps WAN-LAN throughput and (2) run OpenVPN server?

My current router is an Asus RT-N66u running Merlin firmware.  I run OpenVPN server on the router which is very convenient for VPNing into my network, especially for products like Control4 as it saves you $100/yr.  My internet service is rated at 250/20 but speedtests at 320/22.  But my ISP now offers 1000/50 service and I may upgrade to that but there is no point if your router can't handle those speeds.  I was setting up an old PC to run pfSense but a Ubiquiti may make more sense and should integrate nicely into my network as I have the Unifi APs and am running the controller software.

It "depends". Theoretically yes, but in the real world with firewall rules etc, ~900Mbps is probably more realistic (without bridging LAN ports). 

Here's a good review on it, but note that this is with 1.0.2 firmware. 

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/32012-first-look-ubiquiti-edgerouter-lite?showall=&start=1

You can run OpenVPN on ERL but it will require you to use CLI:

http://www.forshee.me/2016/03/16/ubiquiti-edgerouter-lite-setup-part-5-openvpn-setup.html

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Private-Internet-Access-Open-VPN-Step-by-Step-Configuration/m-p/1711643#U1711643

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2017 at 11:36 AM, annex⁴ said:

We are only supporting UniFi product, the edge gear will not be included in any of the drivers.

Also you will be required to be running a UniFi controller as this is how we will be interfacing.  If your setup is a standalone access point then you won't benefit from anything we have coming.

I have 2 aclight AP's and a cloud key would I be able to use the driver ? 

On 2/1/2017 at 1:45 PM, zaphod said:

Can I ask what do you do that you need these kinds of speeds? I've got 100/20 and can't imagine needing any more then that

1 hour ago, VINCELdUB said:

I am using one controller running on a Amazon cloud. It has 16+ projects in it now. Will the driver allow this configuration to work, or will it require a dedicated controller for each customer location?

Happy Automating!

I doubt your scenario will be tested, feel free to try the driver.  The problem will be that most functions pass through the controller.  With the controller onsite every likely works mouch more smooth, especially if there is an issue with internet connection.

12 hours ago, cdepaola said:

Can I ask what do you do that you need these kinds of speeds? I've got 100/20 and can't imagine needing any more then that

Faster upload speeds are beneficial if you use services like Backblaze or Crashplan to backup your data to the cloud.  It is always nice to have faster download speeds when you are downloading large files like movies, games, Xbox updates, etc.

And with my ISP with their higher speed plans you get unlimited data which is important since we average around 600GB/month with the kids doing lots of streaming on Netflix and Youtube.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/23/2017 at 5:31 AM, annex⁴ said:

Soon it's been slightly delayed due to some much needed platform updates.

Thanks for the update.  I have UniFi networking equipment and C4.  I haven't purchased cameras yet, but am hoping to be able to go with UniFi's.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.