C4 Forums | Control4

NetPlay Home compatible equipment list

videostorm

On 11/15/2017 at 2:39 PM, videostorm said:

New 4K HDMI encoders: 
U-RAY 4K HDMI encoders based on the latest HiSilicon chipset 
Supports all the necessary features for NetPlay (Tiling, RTSP, multicast, etc) 
~$370 shipped 
Order link on Ali Express LINK 

That AliExpress link goes to the UHE265-1 device that only appears to support 1080p. "Support Resolution:Max 1920 * 1080P /60fps"

On AliExpress I have found at least two URay devices that support 2160p30 - the Uray UHE264-1-4, an H.264 device for $380: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/H-264-4K-HDMI-Video-Streaming-IP-Encoder-IPTV-Encoder-For-IPTV-And-Live-Streaming-Broadcast/32835653624.html

And the Uray UHE265-1-4, a H.265 device that also supports 2160p30: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/URay-HEVC-4K-Ultra-HD-HDMI-To-IP-Video-Encoder-H-265-H-264-IPTV-Encoder/32846556967.html

Are either of these two 4K encoders supported in Net Play?

Too bad these devices only support stereo audio.

The first one (4K h.264) has already passed testing.  It is a very good encoder.

The second one (4K h.265) is in testing right now.  The HEVC / h.265 is a nice feature, but still has a couple bugs to be worked out.

We have a new "NetPlay Ready" program that is coming online soon.  It will make 3rd party encoder selection, purchasing, and configuration a lot simpler.

Thanks.  How come these HDMI encoders don't appear to be sold in the US?  Are they in a legal grey area?

If you speak to Uray directly you should push them to include better audio support. The big downside to these devices is that they only support stereo.

They can be because not all of them encrypt their outputs.  We do provide the required encryption code under the "NetPlay Ready" program though.  In a NetPlay system, the final output is always encrypted (regardless of the source used).

We also have the IP for multichannel audio which we will provide under terms to 3rd party vendors in our Netplay Ready program.

32 minutes ago, videostorm said:

We also have the IP for multichannel audio which we will provide under terms to 3rd party vendors in our Netplay Ready program.

So does this mean that if I use the 4K h.264 encoder and feed it a signal from a cable box that is 2160p with 5.1 surround sound that it will encode with 2160p video and 5.1 audio?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2017 at 9:20 PM, videostorm said:

Most h.264 encoders on aliexpress use the same HiSilicon chipset and compatible

HiSilicon encoder A:  (UHE264-1L) HD, HDCP, RTSP, multicast, sub stream, HDMI passthrough

HiSilicon encoder B:  (UHE264-1-Mini) HD, HDCP, RTSP, multicast, sub stream

HiSilicon encoder C:  (UHE264-1-4K) UHD, HDCP, RTSP, multicast, multiple sub streams

Do you guys know what the latency is on these encoders?

Thanks,
Eddy

You have several choices:

1. Use our CMX-A2 DSP audio switches.  They will correct for latency / lip sync in a fully centralized audio system.
  2. Use local audio output from any decoder / TV.  This is always in sync.  This can be used for local speakers or back fed to a centralized system.
  3. Use an extra decoder in rack to provide switchable audio (also corrected)

Any combination of the above can be used in your system.  They all work together.

In practice, residential applications typically use #2 or a combination or #1 and #2.  Commercial applications use #3 if less than ~4 zones of audio, otherwise #1 becomes more cost effective for more zones.

8 hours ago, videostorm said:

You have several choices:

1. Use our CMX-A2 DSP audio switches.  They will correct for latency / lip sync in a fully centralized audio system.
  2. Use local audio output from any decoder / TV.  This is always in sync.  This can be used for local speakers or back fed to a centralized system.
  3. Use an extra decoder in rack to provide switchable audio (also corrected)

Any combination of the above can be used in your system.  They all work together.

In practice, residential applications typically use #2 or a combination or #1 and #2.  Commercial applications use #3 if less than ~4 zones of audio, otherwise #1 becomes more cost effective for more zones.

I’m sorry I wasn’t  clear, I know you need a matrix with delay settings. My question was about systems that are already implemented. I guess decoders in the rack is the solution for rooms with sound coming from the matrix. 

Thanks,

On 1/29/2018 at 10:51 AM, videostorm said:

The first one (4K h.264) has already passed testing.  It is a very good encoder.

The second one (4K h.265) is in testing right now.  The HEVC / h.265 is a nice feature, but still has a couple bugs to be worked out.

We have a new "NetPlay Ready" program that is coming online soon.  It will make 3rd party encoder selection, purchasing, and configuration a lot simpler.

I'm looking at getting a 1U Uray encoder for 4K. I see above you say there are some things to work out with H.265. Are the bugs still an issue or is it worth getting at this point in time?

The new NetPlay Ready video encoders are now on our site!

http://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=netplayready

The first encoders certified will be from Shinco.  We expect these to receive official certification within a week or two.  The hardware is already verified if you want to buy today and update later.  Shinco products are available via Alibaba (links are on that page above).

NetPlay Ready encoders integrate in your NetPlay Pro or Home system just like our VTX100.  Simply use the button to ID the device, select your stream resolutions and type in our source setup, and NetPlay handles all the details for you!

Shinco is also certifying their 4K h.264 & h.265 encoders.  Look for those as well in the near future.

We have also listed the URay encoders which are tested compatible but require manual setup on the same page.

4 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Interesting that the new encoders don't compare well to your own product. Am I missing something? Why are these good when they don't have some of the important features?

They are a much less expensive option for when you don't need the extra features.  For $175, you can get very good live video distribution using these products.  It gives you the flexibility to only pay for what you need.  You can choose the right encoder based on the source you want to distribute.

Seems like the Uray stuff compares better than these at the resolution limit they have. I mean no offense. More than one option is the value of your solution, so I appreciate the diversity. How would you compare these to Uray products of the same resolution?

10 hours ago, Pounce said:

Seems like the Uray stuff compares better than these at the resolution limit they have. I mean no offense. More than one option is the value of your solution, so I appreciate the diversity. How would you compare these to Uray products of the same resolution?

The difference is in configuring your system.  With the Netplay Ready products, you never have to manually configure the encoders through the encoder web control pages.  With the NetPlay compatible products, you do have to do all the settings manually.  After they are configured, they all work just like any other NetPlay source.

URay offers an encoder with HDMI loop out function.  Very useful in decentralized systems.

In terms of 1080p30 verses 1080p60, for most broadcast sources this makes no difference.  1080p60 is almost never used to broadcast video via cable/sat/streaming etc.  1080 is either sent as 1080i60 or 1080p30, the box frame rate converts to a 1080p60 HDMI output, but a proper encoder will still distribute it as 1080p30.

Shinco does actually also make a 1080p60 version of these encoders as well.  You can contact Jacky for those.  I think they are around $30 more.  We chose to certify the 1080p30 products first because 1080p60 isn't used on most sources (even though it looks better on paper).

51 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Thanks. That's helpful.  How about audio extraction, 5.1 and video wall? Do the Uray products offer that over the Shinco line? Seems like these are some important features, but perhaps video wall is more commercial.

VTX100 is the only encoder that currently includes audio extraction, 5.1, and video wall.  We have made this IP available to 3rd party vendors but they have not integrated it yet.

Audio extraction:  Hardware which provides a latency correct audio output from the encoder (only needed if using centralized audio and not using CMX1616A2)

5.1:  Encodes multichannel audio over the network (in addition to stereo).  This is good to have if using distributed (not centralized) audio to zones with surround sound speakers.

Video wall:  You need this if you are sending this source to a video wall (array of televisions).  Note this is different than tiling (multi sources on 1 tv) which is supported by all these encoders.

• 1 month later...

The NetPlay Ready Encoders from ShineCo are now officially certified AND available via Amazon!!

When ordered on Amazon, they ship (usually free) to North America via DHL (normally 3-5 business days).

Our 4K HDR NetPlay Pro decoder, VRX040, is now also shipping!!

Finally, our website now has Residential and Commercial Quotation tools that tell you EXACTLY what you need for your system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.