C4 Forums | Control4

NetPlay Home compatible equipment list

videostorm

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

We've recently obtained a Sony XBR-65X900C. It claims to be running android 7.0 but the netplay tv app says it isn't compatible.

Do you know if it should work with this model? Or if there are any steps we could take to get it working?

3 hours ago, Benumc said:

Hello,

We've recently obtained a Sony XBR-65X900C. It claims to be running android 7.0 but the netplay tv app says it isn't compatible.

Do you know if it should work with this model? Or if there are any steps we could take to get it working?

Generally the Sony Android TVs are compatible out of the box.  If the TV has been rooted or otherwise compromised, restore it fully to factory default.

Finally make sure you are running up to date Google Play and NetPlayTV apps.

Thank-you for the response.

I do not believe that the TV was rooted or compromised, but I went ahead and factory reset it anyway.

I don't see a way to update "Google Play" but all the apps like Google Play Music and Google Play Movies are up to date.

Netplay TV apps is still saying it isn't compatible.

Netplay TV is Verison 1.3.0 

I do have auto update enabled for all apps.

Just now, Benumc said:

Thank-you for the response.

I do not believe that the TV was rooted or compromised, but I went ahead and factory reset it anyway.

I don't see a way to update "Google Play" but all the apps like Google Play Music and Google Play Movies are up to date.

Netplay TV apps is still saying it isn't compatible.

Netplay TV is Verison 1.3.0 

I do have auto update enabled for all apps.

What is the build version in the settings about menu (for the TV)?

We have that exact build number on one of the Sony TVs here.  Removed and re-installed NetPlayTV from the Play store and it still works properly (shows compatible etc).

The TV does need to have internet connectivity during the compatibility check (first time you run the NetPlayTV app).

If still not working, it should give an error code on the screen.  What does it say?

12 hours ago, Benumc said:

It is saying Google play services not available.

It don't understand why though. Is this an app I can download?

I've searched but don't see it anywhere.

What country are you located in?  Can you download apps from the Google Play store app normally (on this device)?

I'm in Canada.

I can download quite a few apps from the app store (including the netplay tv app).

I did manage to locate the Google Play services app in Settings -> Apps -> Scroll way down.

It is showing Version 11.5.09 (836-164803921). Should it be on a newer version than that?

16 minutes ago, Benumc said:

I'm in Canada.

I can download quite a few apps from the app store (including the netplay tv app).

I did manage to locate the Google Play services app in Settings -> Apps -> Scroll way down.

It is showing Version 11.5.09 (836-164803921). Should it be on a newer version than that?

Your Google Play Services is out of date.  It should be 12.6.85 for that Sony build.   Not sure how that happened, but you can google methods to resolve this on your TV.

• 2 weeks later...

How does Netplay work for content like Netflix?  Is it just played locally on the AndroidTV device or is it somehow centrally streamed so that you could distribute content to multiple rooms/endpoints in sync?

Does Netplay support 1x3 matrices?  The video mentions 2x2 and 3x3 but I am considering a 1x3 application of smaller screens at a spot in my kitchen.  And 1x3 might make sense in a HT room where you have a large central screen with smaller screens on either side.

47 minutes ago, zaphod said:

How does Netplay work for content like Netflix?  Is it just played locally on the AndroidTV device or is it somehow centrally streamed so that you could distribute content to multiple rooms/endpoints in sync?

Does Netplay support 1x3 matrices?  The video mentions 2x2 and 3x3 but I am considering a 1x3 application of smaller screens at a spot in my kitchen.  And 1x3 might make sense in a HT room where you have a large central screen with smaller screens on either side.

For all the streaming apps, you can play it locally (unique to NetPlay) OR have a player as an HDMI source (like you would with other systems).  You decide based on your requirements.

Do you mean 1x3 video wall  (3 tvs with the same source scaled across them) or 1x3 Tiling (one TV with 3 sources side by side)?  Either, the answer is yes it is supported.

22 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Sorry - I am late to get back on this but I meant three screens across with different content on each screen from different sources 

You don't need anything special for that.  Just three decoders (one for each tv).

26 minutes ago, zaphod said:

And a FireTV stick will suffice as a decoder, will it not?

The current version of FireTV stick will work, but not the original (must be Android 5.1 or later).  We do highly recommend the wired ethernet adapters linked on our decoder page.

That said, the newer FireTV 4Ks or FireTV cubes are faster and 4K capable for only a little more :) 

1 hour ago, videostorm said:

That said, the newer FireTV 4Ks or FireTV cubes are faster and 4K capable for only a little more :) 

Bought a half dozen during prime day for $35 each plus the ethernet adapter just for VS. Really like the Shields I have esp with the new updates, but cannot pass up 35 buck FireTV.

• 3 months later...
On 11/27/2017 at 1:39 PM, lippavisual said:

Jason/VS,

Just wanted to let you know that the link you provided for the 4K encoders actually take you to the 1080P version and not the 4K unit.  Here is the correct link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/URay-4K-Ultra-HD-HDMI-To-IP-Video-Encoder-H-264-IPTV-Encoder-Live-Streaming-Encoder/2349192_32825200131.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.eb294cfmzzDWP

On that note though, are the 1080P encoders compatible with NetPlay?  Customer wants a large scaled system, but the VS branded rack mount encoders are killing his budget.  I was looking at these units to bring the cost down: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DHL-Free-Shipping-3U-Chassis-8-Channels-HDMI-Video-Audio-Encoder-H-264-IPTV-With-HTTP/2349192_32706972408.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.eb294cfmzzDWP

Are these acceptable???

@lippavisual @Matt Lowe or @videostorm - a few questions:

Background: Current set up is VTX100 with a few HD sources (cable boxes, blu ray player, HC800 controller).  TVs are a mix of VRX010 and VRX020.  I have Fire TVs local on all the TVs thought since only 2 people live in the house I am tempted to just plop one into the matrix because its easier to maintain 1 unit vs 3 and my wife and I have never had the need to watch two different things on a FireTV at the same time.  New apps, firmware updates, having to now get IRUSB for each one, etc.  Trying to make it less headaches on me.

I am in the market for a new OLED TV and considering the new line of Sony’s for 2018.  My AVR is likely to be downstairs in the rack with the CMX so I can assist with lip sync issues, that is why the AVR will not be local to the TV.  Though I could put the AVR local if needed.  

Onto the questions:

1) the netplay home page with compatible gear still does not list any netplay ready 4K encoders just ones that “may be compatible”.   What’s the difference?  If my AVR is located downstairs I’ll want a way to get some 4K content to the TV using my AVR set up with speakers.  So I am thinking of a Fire TV 4K or a Shield or something and putting it downstairs to distribute because locally it would not touch my speakers if the AVR is downstairs with the CMX?  My cable company (Fios) has no 4K content, so right now only thinking of how I can get 4K content to 1 tv and still get my AVR to be in sync with the CMX and my whole home audio.

2) I am looking at possibly getting a new Sony A8F or A9F TV.  So given that they run Android TV, all I need is 1 Ethernet cable into the TV?  That 1 Ethernet cable will give me C4 IP support and will hook into my Netplay system?  The wire is already ran, and I forget if it is Cat 5e or 6, would it make a big difference?  No need for any HDMI?  I’ll likely run 1-2 for safety reasons and back up but just 1 Ethernet is all that is needed?

3) and if I use 1 4K Fire TV into the set up, I could still use that on a 1080p set with no problem with downscaling right?  And it could play 4K contention the new TV and 1080p on an old TV at the same time?

4) with all this new gear there are a few Netplay features that I love including the text on the screen (use it when I set various timers), PiP (when doorbell rings I get a live feed on the camera) and the 3x2 or 3x3 PiP so I can see various camera set ups or multiple TV shows (usually ball games)  with a press of a button.  So still want to make sure I retain those features.

what’s best practices here?

Here is my input:

1a)  The difference between NetPlay Ready and NetPlay Compatible encoders:

• NetPlay Ready encoders are running our API software.  They feature one button detection and setup in our systems.
  • NetPlay Compatible encoders are not running our API software.  However, they have been tested with our systems and are known to work properly.  They require a one time manual configuration using their own web interface.

The 4K encoders listed on our encoders page definitely do work in a Netplay system.  Other encoders that are NOT listed on our encoder page may work with our system, but have not been explicitly tested by Video Storm.

1b)  If your AVR will remain in your centralized rack, then using a 4K encoder on the output of a centralized streaming box (FireTV, shield, etc) can work.  However, a much better solution is to make your AVR local to theater and then the NetPlayTV decoder (Fire TV, shield) for that zone will provide 4K directly.  This also has the advantage of giving you any audio format the players and AVR can support (as opposed to just coax / optical in the prior scenario).  You can still have a low cost 1080p encoder for a centralized media box if you do not want to convert all your zones to NetPlayTV.  If you use the Sony Android TV, make sure your AVR supports ARC from the TV for audio (in the later example).

2)  For NetPlay, single cat 5, 5e, or 6 will work (for everything).  It is standard ethernet, so if you needed more jacks later you can always use a hub/switch.

3)  Correct.  We actually now recommend the new 4K Fire STICK instead of the 4K Fire TV gen3 (better product and less expensive).

4)  Yes, these features all function the same way.  In addition, you also get our SplashTiles feature including full HTML5 overlays.  Definitely a step up from the text overlays.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.