C4 Forums | Control4

NetPlay Home compatible equipment list

videostorm

7 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Not sure how your rant is relevant to my post

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

It's not a rant. It's a fact. That's why it's relevant.

Nobody would have to "reinvent the wheel" at all with their AV distribution setups, if Hollywood came up with a half decent universally applied DRM policy... :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Here we have a thread....And it's an awesome thread, started by a bunch of fantastic guys...which is basically an "adversarial" for videostorm. That's OK by me!!..

But even  the original poster/ Videostorm rep said it himself "We have come on this group to start this thread and support it because we don't have our own forum anymore!!!".. "Oh and and we like you guys!"

The complete irony is, they have come onto a public Control4 forum to sell their stuff, but you no longer need Control4 to run Videostorm!?!!!

It's now completely generic now that control has gone to the cloud. What's that you ask? That also means Alexa control.(without Control4?)..which means another chink in the "goodbye C4 chain" fly's out that AV control window!

No need for music. Or lights. Or HVAC, Now no need for AV distributed video?

Could this be called a Control4 "own goal"?

The other total irony of course is Videostorm is completely DIY......look Mom no dealer or pro needed...., the price keeps coming down down down, and there are third party generics...

You can also buy on line!

All the things that a Control4 platform should be!

Thing is would you guys trust these guys to stay in business? when  (as some other poster put it...they need to make their third party stuff and sell outa China)? ie is this stuff legal?

Well who cares!? This is what 99.999% of other AV viewing folks" do anyway!!!!!! (cheat DRM) Hint and they don't even pay exorbitant prices...They pay ZILCH! ..yet here we are as Control4 customers actually paying money for this stuff?? And 6-8K for Video matrixes??! ..Just to suit the Harvey Weinsteins of this world?!

I  mean what the??!

(How stupid are we really!!!!?)

So VS is cheap?. It seems reliable. It's DIY, you can buy on line,  no pro and no Control4! Sure it might become worthless in a couple of years, (say if it runs fowl of the Hollywood robber barons) - but so does your expensive  C4 platform become worthless whilst it remains dealer only anyway! (so, go figure) .....who really cares??? Why not go for it?!

Anything to fight the Hollywood DRM!

(Can't wait for the new 4K encoder to be "tested and certified"!!!!)

IMO!!!!!

W

4 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Dude, you need to stop.  It's one thing to voice your opinion once, it's another when you constantly say the same shit daily and trolling the forum.

Zip it!! Everyone has heard the same song and seen the same dance already.

Well sure.

But see Control4 has never made it easy for an end user like me.

Never.

Easy like Videostorm clearly does...

But see that's why you guys never "get it".

And never do anything about it...

It's always easy for you...

It's one rule for some and something like a restrictive communist or fascist state for everyone else...

Have a great day and enjoy your Control4!

IMO!

W

7 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Well sure.

Never.

It's one rule for some and something like a restrictive communist or fascist state for everyone else...

IMO!

W

But control4 told you that up front.  And if your av dealer didn't, that's his fault not control4s.  You can't buy into a dealer controlled environment and then bitch about it being dealer controlled.  

6 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Well sure.

Never.

IMO!

W

Hi Wap please dont take this as being rude or offensive but this seriously has to stop.

Control4 has never made it easy for you because it is a dealer only platform. You knew this before you bought into it.

It will never be easy for you because they do not want it to be.

But you do have a choice.....

Build the bridge and get over it or stop using it. It is that simple.

You seem switched on so surely you must agree that you are using any thread you can to bang the same drum!!

We all know your feelings so please please please leave the posts for relevant responses.

Cheers

11 minutes ago, tdougray said:

Hi Wap please dont take this as being rude or offensive but this seriously has to stop.

Control4 has never made it easy for you because it is a dealer only platform. You knew this before you bought into it.

It will never be easy for you because they do not want it to be.

But you do have a choice.....

Build the bridge and get over it or stop using it. It is that simple.

You seem switched on so surely you must agree that you are using any thread you can to bang the same drum!!

We all know your feelings so please please please leave the posts for relevant responses.

Cheers

No problem.

Just understand where those feelings come from (that's all).

Try walk in my shoes. (And those of probably many of your clients) 

Videostorm clearly has. :) 

(And that's why my post remains relevant) 

Cheers everyone

Have a great year!!!

Rock on C4

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

No they are not relevant.

Yep ....you think it's not relevant because Control4 makes it easy for you

But that is not the case for me (and dare I say many others around here...)

Even though i have tried... (and my oh my I have I tried....I've gone thru hoops you wouldn't believe!)

Reading this thread, Looks like Videostorm has decided to make it easy for me .

Unfortunately installing and using JAP and other competing products -  the likes of Snap  MOIP etc  is locked into Control4.

So no clues where my business will go!!! 

And that suddenly becomes the likes of yours (as in a dealers) problem...not mine. 

And at the end of the day it's me with the discretionary spend!

That's why my posts  are actually relevant.

(I'll leave you all in peace to ponder that....)

Gotta love America!

Have a great year! 

Rock on C4!

17 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Great. Then go be happy somewhere else. This is a control4 forum not s control4 sucks forum.

Yep I will !!! oh and BTW as this thread clearly indicates.... this is not a Control4 dealer forum either ( you've already got one of those!)

So somewhere for you to "go  be happy too"? :) 

Take care everyone!

IMO

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, maskas said:

@videostorm wanted to check what's the latest on 4k certified encoders? Is there a Netplay certified one? If not which encoder should one buy? Also need some 1080p encoders so please suggest which ones to go for. Thanks.

You can find the latest on all encoders at http://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=netplayready

The 4K encoders are under the "NetPlay compatible" section.

• 3 months later...

ShineCo NetPlay Ready 4K encoders have now passed certification!  

You can find these in single standalone units, or 4/8/16 rack mountable units at http://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=netplayready  (Amazon order links from that page)

They also have devices with HDMI passthrough available.  Contact ShineCo directly for those units.

1 hour ago, videostorm said:

ShineCo NetPlay Ready 4K encoders have now passed certification!  

You can find these in single standalone units, or 4/8/16 rack mountable units at http://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=netplayready  (Amazon order links from that page)

They also have devices with HDMI passthrough available.  Contact ShineCo directly for those units.

what kind of audio do they support?  Says no to 5.1

Also the link for the 1 channel unit goes to the 4/8/16 channel product page.  putting Shineco 4k 1 channel into amazon search got me to a non 4k product:

https://www.amazon.com/Shineco-Channel-Encoder-Supports-Netplay/dp/B07D6GSQ9Z/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=Shineco+4K+1+Channel&qid=1569010389&s=electronics&sr=1-1-fkmr0

2 hours ago, videostorm said:

They are 2 channel PCM audio for now.  May be upgraded to 5.1 via firmware in the future.

The 1 ch link will be active once Amazon gets the stock processed.  Probably a few days.

That’s a disappointment 

2019 and pcm audio?  It’s 30fps which is also a little behind but no advance audio makes me skip over this one.  

May have to role the dice on the other encoders. 

And to add for the record I’m a big fan of the platform.  I got a new 4K set earlier this year and have been waiting to upgrade parts of my VS system to broadcast the 4K signal.  Just a shame I’d have to take less audio quality.  So I’ll probably stay with the 1080p setup for now.  I’m just surprised something for home entertainment would be stripped of multi channel audio. 

When we select encoders for the NetPlay Ready program, we are targeting the best price / performance trade off.  Features like 60 Hz in 4K add a lot to the price, but don't offer any benefit (broadcast 4K sources are natively encoded as 24 or 30 hz, so re-encoding at 60hz doesn't improve the picture).   You can always select other encoders yourself if you have a specific need that isn't addressed by the NetPlay Ready offerings.

Most installations don't need / use multichannel audio on the encoder.  They either use centralized audio, local sources in the theater zone, or streaming or file library sources which all support multichannel audio.  Generally all the zones excluding the theater have stereo speakers as well.  In commercial applications there is no need for multichannel audio at all.  That said, having 5.1 support on encoders IS a feature we are pushing for as a firmware update on these encoders.  It takes development time for our NetPlay Ready partners to integrate & test the code we provided for this feature (from VTX100) as the chipsets are very different.

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2019 at 10:51 AM, videostorm said:

When we select encoders for the NetPlay Ready program, we are targeting the best price / performance trade off.  Features like 60 Hz in 4K add a lot to the price, but don't offer any benefit (broadcast 4K sources are natively encoded as 24 or 30 hz, so re-encoding at 60hz doesn't improve the picture).   You can always select other encoders yourself if you have a specific need that isn't addressed by the NetPlay Ready offerings.

Most installations don't need / use multichannel audio on the encoder.  They either use centralized audio, local sources in the theater zone, or streaming or file library sources which all support multichannel audio.  Generally all the zones excluding the theater have stereo speakers as well.  In commercial applications there is no need for multichannel audio at all.  That said, having 5.1 support on encoders IS a feature we are pushing for as a firmware update on these encoders.  It takes development time for our NetPlay Ready partners to integrate & test the code we provided for this feature (from VTX100) as the chipsets are very different.

I am still having HDCP issues with the VTX100 and my Roku and Shields so I am tempted to give this new box a shot.  My living room is my main viewing area - aka theater zone (though far from being a theater).  I could put a Roku there locally but then I lose out on the other features of VS in that room if I just do Watch>Roku - is that correct?  I'd get 5.1 and I could control it with C4, but PiP, Text Overlay etc are features I use.  So that is why I was trying to push all sources through Netplay platform.  Eventually my wife will be working from home too and I plan on using Splashtiles for her when she is at home (stock info, weather reports, news feeds, etc) so I'd want that to work in the living room as well.

Any ETA on the firmware update to allow 5.1?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.