C4 Forums | Control4

NetPlay Home compatible equipment list

videostorm

You’re using the VS audio switch anyways, aren’t you E?

When doing centralized, VS is just pushing the video to my TVs.  All your source audio should be going direct to the audio switch, then use the audio delay features to line it up.

Ive got the Uray encoder running at home and don’t miss out on Dolby where it’s needed.

56 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

You’re using the VS audio switch anyways, aren’t you E?

When doing centralized, VS is just pushing the video to my TVs.  All your source audio should be going direct to the audio switch, then use the audio delay features to line it up.

Ive got the Uray encoder running at home and don’t miss out on Dolby where it’s needed.

yes I have the CMX

maybe I am over thinking it - but 4 of my 5 TVs use the speakers on the TV.  for the 1 TV where I have an AVR its going shield (local acting as a VRX) HDMI to TV then digital audio from TV to AVR.  

how am I getting audio to the 4 TVs where I am just using the speakers on the TV and how do I need to reconfigure the wiring on the living room TV?

You are using the new 4k Uray encoder?  I am thinking of picking up 2 as I only need 2 4k channels not 4 or 8 channels like the bigger units.

Living room: TV + Shield + AVR
Master Bedroom: TV + VRX020
Gym: TV + VRX020
Office: TV + Shield
Guest Room: TV + VRX020

I have VTX100's in the rack serving up the content.  Between not getting 4k signal to the 1 tv with 4k and also the Handshake/HDCP issues I am having with two different centralized sources, I need to shake things up.  But I want to keep PiP, Text Overlay and get 5.1 sound to the living room.

Keep your sources in the rack along with the CMX.

Use the Shield to your Living TV for video only.  Use a digital audio output from your CMX to your AVR.

If you need audio from your Shield for other apps, run audio back to your CMX.  Along with the AV path setter driver, C4 will switch all audio accordingly. 

Jason

Im also having an odd issue with my Shield + IRUSB. 

I have a programmed event when my front doorbird is pressed to show a pop up of the camera.  This works great.

When the camera image goes away, the Shield launches Netflix on itself.

I don’t have any programming done to do that.  The camera image is just supposed to go away.

Any thoughts?

ok.  so i need some help understanding the benefits here (or what i am missing that I could do).  

I have 4 TVs in the house.  Each has a Nvidia Shield.  Each has either its own AVR or a soundbar.  Most content is from my in house plex server, netflix or the kid watching youtube.  We have cable, hulu, etc, but rarely watch that.  A lot of the content is 4K.  

So, is the main benefit of this to have centralized video, so i dont need to have the shield at each location and just have them all in the rack?  Am i missing some benefit? 

This is not to sound like bashing the product, at all.  Just want to see if I am missing something and should be considering adding this to my setup.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

Use the Shield to your Living TV for video only.  Use a digital audio output from your CMX to your AVR.

If you need audio from your Shield for other apps, run audio back to your CMX.  Along with the AV path setter driver, C4 will switch all audio accordingly. 

CMX in the basement.  Do a digital audio out into this thing:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/442448-REG/Gefen_EXT_DIGAUD_141_Digital_Audio_Extender_S_PDIF.html/?lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl8XtBRDAARIsAKfwtxCxSgS3o-V1s2ckSoUZNmFEz-tM6WolKYsMLZb1Dj4eF01XNmnBz4caAmFpEALw_wcB

or this one

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1454153-REG/vanco_280531_digital_audio_over_cat5e_cat6.html/?lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl8XtBRDAARIsAKfwtxDXzeIvsaiiX2-QiwhOuYCIuEQm6a26bvGfHfowcmZTL0GvLggIULMaAnxCEALw_wcB

Then put the other end on my AVR - and just use the shield for audio?

And I can use the new URay 4k vs my VTX100?

and since I have a shield in the rack too, I dont think I really need audio from the local shield.  I already have a digital out from the TV to the AVR  could that be used in case I did want audio from the local shield "just in case"?  if not I'd need 2 sets of those digital audio pieces - one for the centralized source and 1 for the local source?

lastly - I have 2 centralized streaming units - 1 roku and 1 shield.  so if I want to get 2 new URays with 4k, I'd need 2 sets of audio extractors or the CMX is only sending 1 audio signal to the AVR regardless of the source I am serving up?

You only need 1 audio connection to your AVR andC4 will switch the audio according to the source you’re watching.  CMX will also upscale stereo only sources to the digital outputs. 

Granted, going through the CMX limits you to Dolby surround, no DD+, etc.

This is the way I usually do it.  Pump all audio outs from your sources into the CMX and fine tune the delays.  All VRXs, Shields, etc strictly do just HDMI switching for Video only.

If you have rooms that just use TV speakers, then set the decoders to Local audio and they will pump stereo audio to your TVs.

Netplay will still carry stereo audio with HDMI using the Uray or other encoders.

24 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

You only need 1 audio connection to your AVR andC4 will switch the audio according to the source you’re watching.  CMX will also upscale stereo only sources to the digital outputs. 

Granted, going through the CMX limits you to Dolby surround, no DD+, etc.

This is the way I usually do it.  Pump all audio outs from your sources into the CMX and fine tune the delays.  All VRXs, Shields, etc strictly do just HDMI switching for Video only.

If you have rooms that just use TV speakers, then set the decoders to Local audio and they will pump stereo audio to your TVs.

Netplay will still carry stereo audio with HDMI using the Uray or other encoders.

I don need DD+ - I have a 3.1 set up in a living room, its not a real theater.  Dolby Surround is more than enough, just dont want 2 channel, that's all

ok so I'll get 1 Uray to test my Roku and get 1 of those digital audio cat 5e/cat6 things....

should be interesting to say the least to see if it works... :-)

4 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Jason

Im also having an odd issue with my Shield + IRUSB. 

I have a programmed event when my front doorbird is pressed to show a pop up of the camera.  This works great.

When the camera image goes away, the Shield launches Netflix on itself.

I don’t have any programming done to do that.  The camera image is just supposed to go away.

Any thoughts?

Which command (on which driver) are you using for the camera pip?

4 hours ago, Zappbranagan said:

ok.  so i need some help understanding the benefits here (or what i am missing that I could do).  

I have 4 TVs in the house.  Each has a Nvidia Shield.  Each has either its own AVR or a soundbar.  Most content is from my in house plex server, netflix or the kid watching youtube.  We have cable, hulu, etc, but rarely watch that.  A lot of the content is 4K.  

So, is the main benefit of this to have centralized video, so i dont need to have the shield at each location and just have them all in the rack?  Am i missing some benefit? 

This is not to sound like bashing the product, at all.  Just want to see if I am missing something and should be considering adding this to my setup.  Thanks!

The main benefit in your case would be the ability to have centralized HDMI sources (cable box, DirecTV, DVR, etc) that you can also watch on the Shields in each room (via network).

(assuming you want that)

Please see this white paper for more details on how to build your system based only on what you need:  http://www.video-storm.com/Downloads/why_netplay_c4.pdf

Just now, videostorm said:

The main benefit in your case would be the ability to have centralized HDMI sources (cable box, DirecTV, DVR, etc) that you can also watch on the Shields in each room (via network).

(assuming you want that)

Please see this white paper for more details on how to build your system based only on what you need:  http://www.video-storm.com/Downloads/why_netplay_c4.pdf

Thanks!  

4 hours ago, videostorm said:

(assuming you want that)

So this is my main issue with centralized video in 2019.  I see the benefit in centralized audio, but if you are going to put an Nvidia Shield at each TV then why not use that as a source rather than using it as a receiver for something like NetPlay?  There are fewer and fewer things worth watching that you can't just stream over the net, so why not just use the Netflix/Hulu/MLB/etc AndroidTV app natively on the Shield?

23 minutes ago, zaphod said:

So this is my main issue with centralized video in 2019.  I see the benefit in centralized audio, but if you are going to put an Nvidia Shield at each TV then why not use that as a source rather than using it as a receiver for something like NetPlay?  There are fewer and fewer things worth watching that you can't just stream over the net, so why not just use the Netflix/Hulu/MLB/etc AndroidTV app natively on the Shield?

Well, that is exactly why we designed NetPlay to be easily extendable.  Referring to the white paper above, you would be a "Tier 1" or maybe "Tier 2" system.  If you wanted centralized sources and a few more features later, upgrade to "Tier 3".  If you are happy with Tier 1/2, stick with that.

ie, we ARE using the Shields as streaming sources.  But in higher tier systems they can ALSO act as distributed video endpoints.  Nothing wasted, only what you need....

The Latest Netplay driver.

Set PiP on encoder 5 with source10 using format 1 for 20 seconds  

Works properly here.  Make sure you update your app to version 2.2.2 (latest).  Earlier versions have problems in the latest Android 9 build on the Shields.

15 hours ago, zaphod said:

in my experience - I've been through Fire TV (then 4k fire tv), Shields and now onto a Roku. The Roku has a better app for Hulu with the traditional live guide whereas Shield does not have it.  I did not like the FireTV because it would fall offline too often.  And I used to have cable boxes before all of these streaming boxes.  So If I have 5 TVs, every time I move from 1 media player to another (maybe Apple TV is next who knows) I'd need 5 more boxes.  5 more set ups, 5 more user name/passwords to enter, etc.  If you have a house with 7-10 TVs - to maintain the firmware, log ins, etc on all of those boxes isn't easy.  I hate setting up Kodi with all of my movies and music and add ons, if I had to do that on 10 boxes I'd go nuts especially if I update a password or make a change to something.  When you have 1-2 centralized, they are easier to maintain, flip out for new hardware, etc.

Plus we like the ability to have content seamless on all TVs since I host a few sport related events per year.  And Picture in Picture for someone ringing the door, text overlay on the screen for feedback of various commands, etc.  I am lazy but I am even going to program text overlay for when my washing machine/dryer have completed cycles....stuff like that.

With cutting the cord I do think the need for heavy centralized video has diminished somewhat but there are still use cases where it works and I'd consider it a luxury/nice to have option.  Our house is only 2 users and 5 TVs, so its just easier to share 1-2 streaming boxes in the basement vs constantly swapping out hardware on 5 TVs and keeping those all updated.

17 hours ago, videostorm said:

Works properly here.  Make sure you update your app to version 2.2.2 (latest).  Earlier versions have problems in the latest Android 9 build on the Shields.

Which app?  IRUSB or Netplay.  I know I'm on the latest for IRUSB-2.2.4, haven't checked Netplay app yet though, life got in the way.

On 9/20/2019 at 3:11 PM, videostorm said:

ShineCo NetPlay Ready 4K encoders have now passed certification!  

You can find these in single standalone units, or 4/8/16 rack mountable units at http://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=netplayready  (Amazon order links from that page)

They also have devices with HDMI passthrough available.  Contact ShineCo directly for those units.

Are these 2.2 compliant?  Doesn’t mention either way on their Amazon listing.  

• 1 month later...

@videostorm

Any update on releasing an HDCP 2.2 compliant device?  The shineco unit at 1.4 has been a disappointment and now its too late for me to return it.  With so much content protected at 4k60fps its mostly useless.  I think I can watch some Amazon Prime UHD stuff but nothing from Netflix, my cable provider (Altice), etc.  Wish it was clearer on the order/spec page - not sure why a new product would be 1.4 this day in age.

Sorry if I sound harsh - just is what it is.  The chart said HDCP and had a check so I just figured it was at the latest - 2.2 has been around at least 2 years if not longer.

Shineco is working on a newer version with support for HDCP2.2 and 5.1 audio.  It should be certified in 1Q20.

DVBCast already has a HDCP 2.2 4K encoder.  They have it on special for $500 right now.  You can contact sales.dvbcast@hotmail.com for details.  We have not tested the DVDCast encoder.

41 minutes ago, videostorm said:

Shineco is working on a newer version with support for HDCP2.2 and 5.1 audio.  It should be certified in 1Q20.

DVBCast already has a HDCP 2.2 4K encoder.  They have it on special for $500 right now.  You can contact sales.dvbcast@hotmail.com for details.  We have not tested the DVDCast encoder.

by not testing it you mean you are not sure it will work with netplay?  And it would require more of a manual set up?

4 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

by not testing it you mean you are not sure it will work with netplay?  And it would require more of a manual set up?

Meaning we do not physically have the device for testing.  We have other similar devices from DVBCast that have been tested and work properly.  But ultimately it is unknown until someone tests it.

It would require manual setup similar per these instructions: http://www.video-storm.com/Downloads/third_party_enc.htm

On the Shineco units, Jacky @ Shineco may be willing to give you exchange credit on the 4K Shineco encoder you have toward the new one (when it is available).  Better to ask now than later...

2 hours ago, videostorm said:

Meaning we do not physically have the device for testing.  We have other similar devices from DVBCast that have been tested and work properly.  But ultimately it is unknown until someone tests it.

It would require manual setup similar per these instructions: http://www.video-storm.com/Downloads/third_party_enc.htm

On the Shineco units, Jacky @ Shineco may be willing to give you exchange credit on the 4K Shineco encoder you have toward the new one (when it is available).  Better to ask now than later...

Jacky at Shineco DVB right?  I sent her an email when I first noticed the issue and they didnt get back to me.  I think I tried a chat via Ali or another system and no response.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.