C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Matrix Amplifier Question

hunger

I have four collocated speaker points with which I am using audio streams sourced over the network, for which I assume the speaker points have some type of built-in decoder. Since it appears that the software on the speaker points is no longer being updated, I am concerned that they are going the way of my mini touch screens. I am considering replacing the speaker points with a Control4 matrix amplifier. If my assumptions regarding the speaker points are correct, do the Control4 matrix amplifiers have built-in decoders for each pair of channels like the speaker points, in which case the matrix amplifier would be a suitable replacement?

27 minutes ago, hunger said:

I have four collocated speaker points with which I am using audio streams sourced over the network, for which I assume the speaker points have some type of built-in decoder. Since it appears that the software on the speaker points is no longer being updated, I am concerned that they are going the way of my mini touch screens. I am considering replacing the speaker points with a Control4 matrix amplifier. If my assumptions regarding the speaker points are correct, do the Control4 matrix amplifiers have built-in decoders for each pair of channels like the speaker points, in which case the matrix amplifier would be a suitable replacement?

No.

Matrix amplifiers do NOT have any built-in streaming ability - instead you need to feed controller outputs into the matrix to get audio - so that means if you need/want 4 streams of individual (ie different music) you need 4 controller audio connections.

As for the speaker points - I've not heard that they are to be pulled, but then again - they don't generally pre announce that. But as you mentioned, their firmware is no longer updated, nor do they have the ability to use the newer advanced audio process for better sound and less lag.

I'd wait to see what happens at this point - you can always decide to not yet update the system software, and replace when that time comes - or wait if there will not be an updated speaker point by then.

• 2 years later...

Although the Speaker Point still appears to be available,  https://www.control4.com/solutions/products/speaker-points/ , I have read it is no longer supported in OS 3.0.

Do you know if the Control4 4-Zone Matrix Amplifier (C4-8AMP1-B) (https://www.control4.com/solutions/products/amplifiers-and-receivers/) is still supported in OS 3.0?

I have the audio matrix switch so assuming I can route the decoded stream from an EA-n or an HC-800 to the matrix switch, I would think that I could feed the matrix amp. I think that would be a lot cheaper than getting four Triad One devices.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.