Jump to content
c4forums | The Control4 Community

How to rename a device


Recommended Posts

Hi,

My installer gave names to various devices but I'd like to change them now that I have Composer HE.

I see how to rename playlists but I don't see how to change device names.

For example, there are 2 fans, each with a fan light. They are both called "Fan Light".

I'd like to make one Master Light and the other Family Light.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, AtlantaSteven said:

Hi,

My installer gave names to various devices but I'd like to change them now that I have Composer HE.

I see how to rename playlists but I don't see how to change device names.

For example, there are 2 fans, each with a fan light. They are both called "Fan Light".

I'd like to make one Master Light and the other Family Light.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Device names can't be renamed in HE.  A dealer must rename devices.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VINCELdUB said:

You should be able to right click on it and select rename. Or while it's highlighted press F2 on your keyboard. I haven't used home addition in a very long time. But that should work for you.

 

 

Happy Automating!

You cannot rename devices in HE.  Adding devices, bindings and renaming devices are the only things you can't do in HE

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

OK Atlanta Steven, if you cannot remain using composer home edition, then the next thought would be to make a list of all of the devices you want to rename, current name and what you want the new name to be. Then pass that along to your dealer and ask him to login remotely and make the change for you quickly. Since he's taking your money, they should not be a problem. If you're having difficulty, I or many other Remote dealers on the site would happily help you out for a very small fee.

 

 

 

Happy Automating!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

You cannot rename devices in HE.  Adding devices, bindings and renaming devices are the only things you can't do in HE

Well that sucks. They had named devices in such as way that it makes no sense now that I see it in Composer.

Hope they don't charge me when I ask them to change it.

I knew I couldn't add devices with HE but I thought I could rename to names that make sense to me.

I'm setting up Amazon Alexa, so I want to use name that make sense.

Do you get around this issue by creating groups and to name them what you want?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AtlantaSteven said:

Well that sucks. They had named devices in such as way that it makes no sense now that I see it in Composer.

Hope they don't charge me when I ask them to change it.

I knew I couldn't add devices with HE but I thought I could rename to names that make sense to me.

I'm setting up Amazon Alexa, so I want to use name that make sense.

Do you get around this issue by creating groups and to name them what you want?

Ah! well thats a different story.  You can rename the "alexa name" without renaming it in composer.  You do that at customer.control4.com and login, click on alexa and there is a pencil next to each device - rename them there and that is what alexa knows.  Then rerun discovery on Alexa.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Ah! well thats a different story.  You can rename the "alexa name" without renaming it in composer.  You do that at customer.control4.com and login, click on alexa and there is a pencil next to each device - rename them there and that is what alexa knows.  Then rerun discovery on Alexa.

cool, that worked.. Now I'll play some more.

thanks again

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 years later...
On 4/6/2021 at 3:17 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

And still a driver that every user of HE should purchase as renaming of devices is definitely a necessity for us tinkerers.  The driver is available on the Blackwire website.

Couldn’t agree more - essential! @msgreenf did us a huge service by fixing this issue for us!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...