C4 Forums | Control4

Recommendations for a waterproof phone/tablet for shower/pool control?

jbs

For 10 years we kept an SR250 remote in the shower sealed in a vacuum seal bag to control lights, music and a TV behind a glass window. It worked amazingly well and the 4 NiMh rechargeable batteries inside would typically last a year since it was only being used for a few minutes a day. When the batteries died I'd cut open the vacuum bag, replace the batteries and be back in business for another year.

With our migration to 2.9.1 we've lost our SR250 remotes and I suspect the SR260 isn't going to last as long between charges. I know I could go with an easier method like ziplock bags but i'm inclined to switch over to a waterproof Android device that can live in the bathroom, charge on the counter and be taken into the shower for control there.

I've read about a few such tablets but was curious whether anyone had had good experiences with one as a Control4 controller. I don't need a lot of screen space so either a 7" screen or even a prior generation waterproof phone that I might find used on ebay (assuming that a new phone without a contract is going to be way more expensive than a simple wifi tablet.

Grateful for any leads!

-Jason

Whether it's android or an iOS device, they will both work flawlessly with Control4. Due to Control4's work on their interfaces. I would recommend looking at something like ALIexpress.com and military spec phones. I remember months ago taking a look at some of the available devices there and you can pick up android style phones and tablets that are completely 100% water and moisture proof for very little.

Happy Automating!

I should also add, that the SR-250 still works. I have many of those running in my home now still. And a few of them are original embernet ones 8-9 years old.

43 minutes ago, Thatguy230 said:

I'm on 2.9.1 and my sr250's still work. 

My understanding from a longtimer at Control4 who I trust a lot is that it depends on the version. My SR250s are marked RCZ-SRC2-B and made in 2007. Everything else in my system made it through the Embernet > Zigbee Pro upgrade but the SR250s would identify and then stay perpetually at the Pending stage. Nothing worked.

The explanation I eventually received was that the older generation of remotes didn't have enough onboard memory to receive the new firmware.

I've moved on from them and like both the tablet interface and SR260's much better anyhow so even if it turns out there's some upgrade path I'm unlikely to try and get back to the clean setup I'd need to do it.

For 10 years we kept an SR250 remote in the shower sealed in a vacuum seal bag to control lights, music and a TV behind a glass window. It worked amazingly well and the 4 NiMh rechargeable batteries inside would typically last a year since it was only being used for a few minutes a day. When the batteries died I'd cut open the vacuum bag, replace the batteries and be back in business for another year.

I've read about a few such tablets but was curious whether anyone had had good experiences with one as a Control4 controller. I don't need a lot of screen space so either a 7" screen or even a prior generation waterproof phone that I might find used on ebay (assuming that a new phone without a contract is going to be way more expensive than a simple wifi tablet.

Grateful for any leads!

-Jason

1. the SR250 still works in 2.9.1. Four of mine are running great.

2. Look at the last gen Sony phones on

eBay. IP59 on those.

Wet tablet screens and wet fingers don't control screens well though.

My galaxy s5 and s7 stood up to time in the shower with no issues. Looks like the galaxy s tab is also water resistant wothout the need of a case. What content are you playing in the master bath? I use a google home grouped with a chromecast audio through ceiling speakers most of the time in ours

Happy to report that last night I took an Amazon Fire 7" tablet which I purchased a year ago for ~$30 during an Amazon sale, placed it inside this waterproof $10 case:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KX8TY10

and it was awesome. I'm going to see how long it lasts on a charge (should be at least a week or two since it only gets a few minutes of usage each day. I was very impressed with how well the touchscreen worked through the plastic sleeve.

The Amazon app store has both Sonos and Control4 apps so I had all the control I needed even though it's not a pure android device.

Still like the idea of a waterproof tablet but this will hold me over till I find the right one.

Thanks everyone!!

--Jason

Archived