C4 Forums | Control4

Moved into a Control4 house, nothing works

FYI - I have already put in a call to have a dealer come out and try to get this system back online, but right now I am kind of stuck until they can come out.

I moved into a house that has lots of Control4 devices already in it.  During the open house of course everything worked, remotes and touchscreens all were fine.  After closing the seller took their network equipment with them, and now the system is pretty much entirely offline.

I came and installed my network equipment, but the devices didn't automatically come back online.

I think the big problem is that the home controller isn't getting an IP address.  It is a HC300 and if I plug the video out from it into a TV, it goes through its boot screen but says IP:not available.  I tried to reset the network config by pressing the button on the back while it boots, and it says on the screen that it is resettings its network config but it still doesn't seem to get an IP.  I tried scanning the network for it anyway, I even plugged in a packet sniffer into it but it is sending out DHCP requests so it has no IP.  Is there any way to get on the console of the HC300 and give it an IP manually?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They left all the switches and such, they just took their router and wireless gear.  I wouldn't expect someone to leave their litle linksys so I wouldn't expect them to leave their router either.  I took my router when I moved!  It could have been provided by their ISP anyway.

Any ideas on how to set the IP for the controller?

1 hour ago, RussDraper said:

FYI - I have already put in a call to have a dealer come out and try to get this system back online, but right now I am kind of stuck until they can come out.

I moved into a house that has lots of Control4 devices already in it.  During the open house of course everything worked, remotes and touchscreens all were fine.  After closing the seller took their network equipment with them, and now the system is pretty much entirely offline.

I came and installed my network equipment, but the devices didn't automatically come back online.

I think the big problem is that the home controller isn't getting an IP address.  It is a HC300 and if I plug the video out from it into a TV, it goes through its boot screen but says IP:not available.  I tried to reset the network config by pressing the button on the back while it boots, and it says on the screen that it is resettings its network config but it still doesn't seem to get an IP.  I tried scanning the network for it anyway, I even plugged in a packet sniffer into it but it is sending out DHCP requests so it has no IP.  Is there any way to get on the console of the HC300 and give it an IP manually?

yeah, you will need to call the dealer to look at the project.

3 minutes ago, RussDraper said:

Is this a completely locked down system?  If so I am going to be removing it and putting in something open!  I don't want to have to call a dealer if I add a light switch or camera.

Probably should of done research on control4 before hand. Yes its locked down. Yes you need a dealer if you want to add a light, or add a camera, but on the flipside to that, how often do you add a new light in your house?!

There are things you can do without a dealer, set up scenes/rules. ie turn lights on 50% at 6am and ramp to 100% by 7am, or stuff like that, but adding devices you need ComposerPro(dealer only)

Just to throw my experience in here, when I moved into my new place, which was my intro to C4, the homeowner took all their network gear with them.  When I started getting things setup, all the C4 devices were on static IPs on an IP range that was different than my standard setups (which is why I far prefer reserved DHCP addresses over static assignment).  It took me a while to get everything up and moving again.  I started by determining which addresses the C4 stuff wanted, and adjusted my own routers to handle the network config they were assuming, which let everything come back enough to get things worked out.

It's pretty common, in my view, to take the network gear with you, unless it's specifically negotiated in the sale.  I've spent a lot of money on my network setup.  If I'll be using it in the place I'm moving to, it's coming with me, too.

2 minutes ago, Joshua Pressnell said:

Just to throw my experience in here, when I moved into my new place, which was my intro to C4, the homeowner took all their network gear with them.  When I started getting things setup, all the C4 devices were on static IPs on an IP range that was different than my standard setups (which is why I far prefer reserved DHCP addresses over static assignment).  It took me a while to get everything up and moving again.  I started by determining which addresses the C4 stuff wanted, and adjusted my own routers to handle the network config they were assuming, which let everything come back enough to get things worked out.

It's pretty common, in my view, to take the network gear with you, unless it's specifically negotiated in the sale.  I've spent a lot of money on my network setup.  If I'll be using it in the place I'm moving to, it's coming with me, too.

Good feedback, thank you. I feel like people where I live really would have no idea how much money is invested in a system yeah they may think home automation is "cool" but nto realize someone spend 25,50 or even 100k+ making it all work. Id almost feel stupid leaving it behind just from a financial loss perspective, I plan on taking as much as I can with leaving the house "functional". (lights go on/off, speakers in the ceilings is about it)

Yeah... if I move, I'm stripping all the switches and dimmers and I'll put all the "dumb" stuff back in as replacements, before I put it on the market, most likely.  Or maybe not.  Maybe I'll just use it as an excuse to upgrade to the latest hardware.  Depends on what my wife will let me get away with.  But at the moment, I'm hoping to retire in our current house, so it won't be an issue for a long while.

I don't doubt a lot of money was spent, but I used LinuxMCE in the past with ZWave devices for not much money.  I was able to control lights, media, door locks and even had the system VoIP call me when someone was at the door!  Granted I had to do the configuration myself vs paying a dealer.

I didn't choose the house because of Control4, it was already installed and if I can make it work I will keep it.  I plan to add all lights in the entire house to the system, garage door openers, window blinds/motors, integrate with a security system and a door lock.  If it is going to cost me thousands more to do this with C4 I'll remove it now and start with something that doesn't cost me to add to the system!

I presume it isn't getting an IP because it doesn't like the Eero DHCP server, I'll try directly connecting to it and setting an IP to it and running a packet sniffer again.  The system is looking for DHCP, I already ran a packet sniffer and I see it sending out DHCP requests, it is not set static.

11 minutes ago, RussDraper said:

I don't doubt a lot of money was spent, but I used LinuxMCE in the past with ZWave devices for not much money.  I was able to control lights, media, door locks and even had the system VoIP call me when someone was at the door!  Granted I had to do the configuration myself vs paying a dealer.

I didn't choose the house because of Control4, it was already installed and if I can make it work I will keep it.  I plan to add all lights in the entire house to the system, garage door openers, window blinds/motors, integrate with a security system and a door lock.  If it is going to cost me thousands more to do this with C4 I'll remove it now and start with something that doesn't cost me to add to the system!

I presume it isn't getting an IP because it doesn't like the Eero DHCP server, I'll try directly connecting to it and setting an IP to it and running a packet sniffer again.  The system is looking for DHCP, I already ran a packet sniffer and I see it sending out DHCP requests, it is not set static.

youll spend at least $1000 buying the "drivers" from houselogix for the stuff you mention. That of course doesn't include the cost of dealers time to install and configure it out. Nothing like buying a 100$ piece of hardware only to have to pay 200$ for a driver to integrate it, then another 100$ to have a "dealer" install it for you. 

My specific example was when I bought a Kodi box for $90.. The houselogix driver is $200 and then my dealer (remote) wanted $100 to install and configure. So my Kodi box went from $90 to $390..... Welcome to Control4!

is $400 the end of the world, no but paying 4x the cost of something to make it work just defies logically thinking. Go buy a car for $50,000, but oh wait you have to pay $100,000 for us to move the seat for you. and another $65,000 to drive on the road thats the fastest way to you house. 

blackfiveo1, not sure what you mean.  For LinuxMCE I used a $65 MiCasaVerde USB Zwave adapter and then regular zwave devices.  Aside from the cost of a computer there was no other cost (I used an old desktop).

I can understand the convenience of having a dealer configure everything for you, it is a custom system after all.  But not being able to add devices yourself is going to push me onto another platform.

I meant the stuff you want you will spend $1000+ garage door openers/security system/door lock/blinds (depending on brands you go with). You cannot integrate these things without a driver or without a dealer. You will pay for A. License/Driver B. Dealer to install them.

You will be surprised at how much power you have with Composer Home Edition. I can do basically anything except add devices to my system but honestly it takes an hour for me to do what it takes my dealer 5 minutes so I let him do most of the programming for me. 

I use one of the dealers on here (who logs in remotely) and has done a phenomenal job for an extremely fair price. Reach out to Matt Lowe if you are interested in that route and I promise you will be happy. Don't let some con artist charge you thousands to fix an IP address. 

As far as closed system it has pluses and minuses... I could do anything if I had the software but these guys do it every day for a living, are fast, reasonably priced and just make it work without you having to spend tons of time looking up how to do it yourself. I'm not going to debate what C4 should be doing as far as this but I can tell you having a solid dealer is oh so nice! I guarantee this system will work better than ANY cobbled together diy one out there. 

This is all coming from someone who loves diy. I took the Lutron class to learn how to do my own lighting and installed/programmed all my own lighting which was added by my dealer to C4 remotely. I buy C4 used gear all the time on eBay and Matt always gets it added into my system in a day or two max. 99% of my system was basically DIY with the dealer just adding in devices and fixing my programming mistakes. I strongly recommend you keep the system and find a dealer on here to work with. Good luck.

Luke

As far as what you can and can't take when you sell a house...

Laws are different everywhere but I just recently went thru a home purchase in Texas and this is what I learned...

Anything physically attached must stay (speakers, picture frame hooks, tv mounts, shelves, light switches, wall mounted/built in touch screens).

You are allowed to take anything not physically attached (routers, switches, hubs, controllers, portable screens, TVs (but wall mount must stay), pictures on the walls (hooks must stay). 

That said, if I were buying or selling a C4 home I would have it in the contract exactly what conveys (stays with the house) just so there are no surprises. 

42 minutes ago, blackfiveo1 said:

I meant the stuff you want you will spend $1000+ garage door openers/security system/door lock/blinds (depending on brands you go with). You cannot integrate these things without a driver or without a dealer. You will pay for A. License/Driver B. Dealer to install them.

You don't usually *need* a bunch of drivers for these things.  Folks around here seem to like the MyQ garage doors with C4 drivers, but any standard garage door can be integrated easily with C4 by using contact switches and relays.  I got a $50 HC-500 from eBay and had it configured with 3 separate garage doors with no other drivers in a couple of hours, and most of that time was sweat equity getting the wiring run myself and stapling it all nice and pretty-like to the access hole I made to the garage attic where the HC500 lives.

The Honeywell Vista drivers come built-into C4.  You need to buy the security system home automation module, but that's not that expensive, and setup was pretty easy.  Door locks that aren't C4 door locks won't work (there may be a few with drivers), but I'd recommend getting the actual C4-native door locks and then that's easy setup as well.  

The only one I don't have experience with is motorized blinds.  

Seriously... if you get Composer Home Edition, are decent with hardware and wiring yourself, and get setup with one of the remote dealers here, you'll likely be highly satisfied with the system.  From what I've experienced, it holds itself together a lot more reliably than most of the "consumer-grade open systems" or DIY options.

I don't know what you mean about needing drivers, the home controllers appear to have regular gpio contact switches on them, I was able to do the same thing easily years ago with a raspberry pi and a relay!

http://www.russdraper.com/2014/11/10/raspberry-pi-to-open-garage-door/

It was trivial to make it a web page that a automation system could hit and trigger the door.  

For the security system, I was debating on wiring in the existing sensors and having the system auto-dial or SMS in an emergency.  For example I did these basic parts when I used an Arduino to attach to a laundromat:

http://www.russdraper.com/2016/05/25/laundromat-watcher/

I'm not saying I expected it to be cheap, I am expecting to be able to add things to it without contacting a dealer.  The above examples are not something I would expect an average user to know how to do, but I would expect basic addition/deletion of objects.  Perhaps I could become a Control4 dealer just so I can do it myself!

SOME SUCCESS!

Ok, so I wired just the HC300 and my laptop into a switch, and I ran a free little DHCP server on it, and gave it an IP of 192.168.1.30, and now it has an IP at least!  I tried adding it to a touch-screen controller with that IP, but it just shows red and doesn't appear to connect.  Is there a web interface on this?

11 minutes ago, RussDraper said:

Perhaps I could become a Control4 dealer just so I can do it myself!

I doubt it, you seem very technically minded. But becoming a dealer is not an easy task and definitely wont happen if all you want to do is program your own system. Also the HC300 is old and wont run director beyond os 2.5 3 and it is currently 2.9.1 so you are at a crossroads of ditching c4 all together or investing in a more up to date processor for the program to reside and adding the items you want, the hc300 could be used for another room/additional IO

15 minutes ago, RussDraper said:

SOME SUCCESS!

Ok, so I wired just the HC300 and my laptop into a switch, and I ran a free little DHCP server on it, and gave it an IP of 192.168.1.30, and now it has an IP at least!  I tried adding it to a touch-screen controller with that IP, but it just shows red and doesn't appear to connect.  Is there a web interface on this?

no web interface

17 minutes ago, RussDraper said:

Perhaps I could become a Control4 dealer just so I can do it myself!

yes, if you have a showroom...minimum sales and convince someone at control4 that you are doing this as a business, not for yourself, then yes, you could...

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

yes, if you have a showroom...minimum sales and convince someone at control4 that you are doing this as a business, not for yourself, then yes, you could...

All I keep hearing are reasons why I shouldn't invest any more into Control4 and I should replace it with something else.  Even a basic Vera system is better than this thing right now.

Yes and no-ish... on the basic argument, vera doesnt address AV or multizone audio but you seem like a strong DIY kind of guy so dealing with multiple systems that dont particularly talk to eachother and require swapping back and forth between multiple apps might be your cup of tea. Control4 is great, but not for everyone, i will agree with that. Pretty much all CI systems require software only available to dealers (Crestron, C4, URC, RTI, Savant)

Archived