C4 Forums | Control4

Moved into a Control4 house, nothing works

You'd be absolutely crazy to move away from the system after having it all of the EQ in your house. It sounds like you've got upwards of a $20,000 system. Some simple networking fixes should not detour you from the system, regardless if you are DIYer. At worst case, you have to call a remote dealer and have him throw you a few drivers, and then you can basically do anything else you'd want to. 

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same problem. However the original owner was a C4 tech . He told me that some of the c4 controllers don't play nice with certain ip numbers ! So he told me to change the dhcp scope in the router to 192.186.0.100 the 3rd octive must be set to 0  after I did that everything came right up ..

18 minutes ago, kajphotos said:

Actually 4 years ago .. however I don't know what kind of controller he has 

Don't care what he has - I've had them all and he was telling you BS. Now - what he MAY have meant is that some controllers or devices were set to a static IP.

20 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Don't care what he has - I've had them all and he was telling you BS. Now - what he MAY have meant is that some controllers or devices were set to a static IP.

Was thinking that, saw he last visited the forum on Tuesday but has not posted.  Guess there are trolls everywhere :unsure:

2 hours ago, kajphotos said:

I had the same problem. However the original owner was a C4 tech . He told me that some of the c4 controllers don't play nice with certain ip numbers ! So he told me to change the dhcp scope in the router to 192.186.0.100 the 3rd octive must be set to 0  after I did that everything came right up ..

I'm not in that range and I'm pretty strong over here since my install a little over 2 years ago. 

Ok, an update.

I did some more testing, and discovered that at least 1 of the network switches was broken, so I replaced it.  I have ordered replacement switches for everything now.

The dealer came out, and was able to fix most things.  Both wireless tablets seem to be DOA, when they were working just fine right before closing.  They just don't connect.  I wonder if perhaps they just won't connect to Eero, I will replace with a different AP.  The dealer was nice enough to give me a license for Android, so I can buy some used android tablets to replace the broken C4 wireless tablets.

I've read there is a zwave module, if I can add it as a slave controller then I can add a zwave master controller and add whatever devices I want to later.  I haven't given up on this system just yet.

35 minutes ago, RussDraper said:

I've read there is a zwave module, if I can add it as a slave controller then I can add a zwave master controller and add whatever devices I want to later.  I haven't given up on this system just yet.

This zwave module you've probably heard about will only work with an EA3 or EA5 controller right now. Either one of these controllers would be a very worth while upgrade for lots of reasons. The c4 zwave module only supports a small list of devices. You probably won't be as impressed with this list. Plan B could be a Vera Edge controller or a wink hub integrated into your c4 system, however, you may not be impressed with the reliability of this setup but the cost of zwave devices will be attractive.  You would still need a dealer to set this up for you. 

If you're willing to make some friends on here and respect a little advise from some of the guru's that have already made their presence, you'll get a lot further with help rather than making us guess what your horse's name is.

1 hour ago, forum said:

Lets be honest with him. Control4 can become a money pit in the long run.

Sure.  So is a house so you should never own a home.  Just depends on what you want out of the system.  Personally, I got a lot more than I thought I would and don't mind spending the money.  Yes, it is a money pit but I enjoy it.  :-) 

14 hours ago, dcovach said:

If you're willing to make some friends on here and respect a little advise from some of the guru's that have already made their presence, you'll get a lot further with help rather than making us guess what your horse's name is.

This goes along way here. I only know 1 person from this board in person, and I have had a TON of help from people on this site that has saved me THOUSANDS of dollars.

18 hours ago, dcovach said:

This zwave module you've probably heard about will only work with an EA3 or EA5 controller right now

Mh... To be clear - there are TWO requirements (hardware wise) to use the ZWave module.

-1 it HAS to be plugged into an EA controller

-2 the system MUST be run my an EA controller as a master.

In other words you can drop an EA5 on top of a project and it can have the module.

You cannot get an EA1 as a secondary controller under an HC800 and have ZWave. You CAN get an EA3 on top, and attach the module to an EA1.

On 3/13/2017 at 4:20 PM, RussDraper said:

I plan to add all lights in the entire house to the system, garage door openers, window blinds/motors, integrate with a security system and a door lock.  If it is going to cost me thousands more to do this with C4 I'll remove it now and start with something that doesn't cost me to add to the system!

It is going to cost you a lot to do all that through a dealer.

if you don't have to have the same interface for AV and home automation there are other platforms out there you will like much better. If you want a consistent interface throughout and good AV control you may want to bite the bullet and stick with control4.

On 3/31/2017 at 3:01 PM, dcovach said:

On 3/31/2017 at 9:00 PM, Joshua Pressnell said:

^- What Sally said....

Once you get the bug... you just kinda keep going.  Unlike a boat, which just eats money, a C4 system tends to be a money pit because those of us who love home automation just keep trying to push the envelope with what we can do with the house.

+1.  With a good remote dealer, it doesn't add up as much as you'd think, although the list of things to add will probably never end :P

On 3/31/2017 at 3:01 PM, RussDraper said:

Both wireless tablets seem to be DOA, when they were working just fine right before closing.  They just don't connect.  I wonder if perhaps they just won't connect to Eero, I will replace with a different

What wireless tablets - if they're a lot older, they may be locked to wireless g if not b and/or WEP keys - if the older 7" I THINK those did WPA, but not WPA2

• 2 weeks later...

@RussDraper  Don't give up! Control4 is a great addition to any property. As with any luxury, it can be quite expensive.

I think your experience is a lesson to many folks on the forum here - carefully negotiate the terms of AV equipment in the sale of a property.

As you mentioned, there are cheaper and less advanced automation options available in the marketplace today, but after years of investing in my property - I am very happy with how Control 4 has turned out.

Another update:

The system is much better after the dealer came out, whole-house audio works and using the app on my phone is an acceptable replacement for the broken tablets.  I haven't swapped the DirecTV for another media player or anything yet as we haven't had time, so for now we just use the theater and other tv's manually (remote controls).

I finally had a chance to dig around a bit.  Some helpful members here pointed me to how to get around dealer requirement, turns out the software I had needed a patch and now I can at least add devices.  For now I'll spend a little more on adding common light switches into the system, but I don't think I'll be upgrading Control4 much beyond what I have.  I'd upgrade many other things before I would pursue this more I think.  Thanks everyone for your help!

Archived