C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - IntesisBox HVAC Controller Driver

alanchow

Chowmain%20Logo%20Transparent%20Medium.png

Chowmain - IntesisBox HVAC integration driver 

Most HVAC installations in the United States are easy as most thermostats utilise a universal standard and as such can be replaced easily by a 3rd party thermostat such as Control4’s thermostat. 

Unfortunately alot of HVAC manufacturers do not utilise this standard and have proprietary closed communications that are specific to that HVAC manufacturer. This makes it extremely cumbersome for Control4 dealers to source a reliable HVAC product and in many countries Control4 dealers do not even bother with HVAC integration because it is just too hard. 

Luckily Intesis have released their range of IntesisBox wifi gateways. The IntesisBox allows you to easily integrate HVAC systems into Control4 by retrofitting the IntesisBox gateway into the existing indoor unit. Intesis offer two gateway types. 

Specific IntesisBox’s are developed to communicate with the HVAC manufacturer’s proprietary communications protocol allowing for true real time bidirectional communication with the system. 

Universal IntesisBox’s are developed to offer compatibility with thousands of HVAC models through infra red and offer room temperature feedback via a sensor in the IntesisBox. 

Chowmain’s IntesisBox driver for Control4 will work with all models of IntesisBox and will provide full two way control/feedback. 

Features 

• Automatic discovery of Intesisbox based on unit MAC address. 
  • Self healing - if IP address changes the driver will automatically rediscover the unit. 
  • Auto configuration of available of HVAC Modes from IntesisBox. 
  • Auto configuration of available of Fan Speeds from IntesisBox. 
  • Auto configuration of set point limits (minimum and maximum). 
  • Auto configuration of available vane positions. 
  • Temperature Feedback. 
  • Setpoint Control. 
  • Up/Down/Left/Right Vane position control* 
  • Built in Scheduling. 
  • Built in Presets. 
  • HVAC System Error detection and feedback (only on non universal IntesisBox’s). 
  • Support for multiple AC units (this will work on future IntesisBox hardware – Current version only supports single indoor units). 
  • Universal Model will detect if the customer uses the original IR remote control to control HVAC system and set the feedback accordingly. 

* If fitted to the HVAC system. 

FAQ 

Why is this product exciting? 
In Australia and New Zealand (and other countries) HVAC integration has been hard because HVAC companies do not utilise the honeywell based wiring that most smart thermostats like Nest, Control4 and Honeywell use. Split Systems have been extremely hard as traditionally they only offer IR or RF based remote controls. In the past we have integrated these systems by learning every combination of IR code however this is extremely time consuming. Also integration for ducted systems and VRF systems were hard because manufacturers have their own propriatary bus. 

Now with the IntesisBox installers can now easily integrate HVAC systems into Control4. The IntesisBox is affordable unlike other solutions so the cost of integration per zone is extremely low. On top of that it communicates via wifi so dealers can now revisit old customers with compatible HVAC systems to upgrade their home automation system and integrate their HVAC systems without additional wiring. 

This really changes the HVAC game. 

What HVAC systems can i use this driver with? 
IntesisBox is compatible with a range of HVAC systems. Please see the Intesis website to check if the HVAC system you want to integrate has a specific IntesisBox or is compatible with the universal IntesisBox. Their ebsite will have the most upto date information about supported models. 

If you are unsure if you HVAC system is supported please contact Intesis support (support@intesis.com) and they will advise if you HVAC system is supported and what model IntesisBox you need to purchase 

At the time of writing this Intesis have specific bus based IntesisBox make/models for 

• Daikin Domestic line 
  • Daikin Sky and VRV lines 
  • Fuji Electric Domestic Lines 
  • Fujitsu Domestic and VRF lines 
  • General Domestic and VRF lines 
  • LG Domestic 
  • LG VRF Lines 
  • Mitsubishi Electric Domestic, MR Slim and City lines 
  • Mitsubishi Heavy Industries FD and Hypermulti lines 
  • Panasonic ecoi and paci lines 
  • Panasonic etherea domestic lines 
  • Samsung VRF linese 
  • Sanyo ecoi and paci lines 
  • Toshiba Commercial and VRF lines 

At the time of writing this Intesis's universal infra red IntesisBox supports the following make/models 

• Acson
  • Aermec 
  • Aircool 
  • Airlin 
  • Airwell 
  • Alpicair 
  • Argoclima 
  • Balupunkt 
  • Carrier 
  • Daikin 
  • Daitsu 
  • Delonghi 
  • Dolphin 
  • Emmeti 
  • Electra 
  • Friedrich 
  • Fujitsu 
  • Fuji Electric 
  • General 
  • Gree 
  • Hiyasu 
  • Kaysun 
  • LG 
  • Midea 
  • Mitsubishi Electric 
  • Mitsubishi Heavy Industries 
  • Mundoclima 
  • New Pol 
  • Panasonic 
  • Samsung 
  • Samui 
  • Tadiran 
  • TCL 
  • Toshiba 
  • Vaillant 

Can i control fan direction with this? 
Yes our driver allows for up/down and left/right vane control. This is accessible under the Extras Tab. 

Can i do schedule the HVAC system using this? 
Yes our driver has built in presets and scheduling. 

Where can i purchase this module? 
Intesis sells the IntesisBox in over 90 countries. They mainly sell direct. The product has regulatory compliance for Europe, US, Canada and Australia. If you have any sales enquiries please contact Intesis Sales directly via their website or via email (sales@intesis.com) 

Why do you only support OS 2.7 and above? 
This driver requires functionality that is only available in OS 2.7. As such this driver will not work in earlier versions of Control4 OS. 

How do I find out more information about the driver? 
Please see the links below for more information about the driver. 

Chowmain Website

Installation Guide

How do I buy the driver? 
This driver is developed by Chowmain software & apps and is distributed and supported by Houselogix, Inc. 

Download Driver / Purchase Licence

Who do i contact for technical support? 
This driver is developed by Chowmain software & apps and is distributed and supported by Houselogix, Inc. 

Support

Do you provide trial licences? 
All Chowmain drivers for Control4 come with a 48 hour trial. This is activated once you add the driver to the project. No additional steps are necessary.

options.png 

IntesisBox.gif 

• 2 months later...

UPDATE 

The IntesisBox driver for Control4 now includes 10 x zone relay bindings which can be named. This makes damper based zone control extremely easy to control with full 2 way feedback of relay states in the Thermostat interface. 

0002228_intesisbox.png

• 7 months later...

Alan, when using the universal IR module, how does it know that unit is truly off?  Does the module receive IR from the unit after issuing command somehow?  Or is it a toggle?  I have several big projects that can use this if I can work properly.  Thanks in advance for info.

Daniel

1 hour ago, dlouque said:

Alan, when using the universal IR module, how does it know that unit is truly off?  Does the module receive IR from the unit after issuing command somehow?  Or is it a toggle?  I have several big projects that can use this if I can work properly.  Thanks in advance for info.

Daniel

HVAC Systems have discrete IR codes.  As such it assumes that if it emits the code then it is on that particular mode.

Good deal.  I didn’t think those had discrete ir codes.  This will be huge for me.  Do you have any tips or info to share if I want to try and monitor occupancy with motion sensor and have it talk to the Intesis Box using control 4.  I know the obvious with all of options for zigbee, but all rooms have good WiFi, but will struggle to get zigbee due to walls made of concrete.  I have been searching for a possible WiFi motion and possibly use your IFTTT driver, but was hoping for a little easier setup.  Thanks for any info you can provide.

Daniel Louque

1 hour ago, dlouque said:

Good deal.  I didn’t think those had discrete ir codes.  This will be huge for me.  Do you have any tips or info to share if I want to try and monitor occupancy with motion sensor and have it talk to the Intesis Box using control 4.  I know the obvious with all of options for zigbee, but all rooms have good WiFi, but will struggle to get zigbee due to walls made of concrete.  I have been searching for a possible WiFi motion and possibly use your IFTTT driver, but was hoping for a little easier setup.  Thanks for any info you can provide.

Daniel Louque

I don't have a wifi motion sensor solution that integrates direct.  Don't even know of one off the top of my head to be honest.  Regardless i'd get the HVAC integration done first before worrying about other stuff.

Intesis Support will be able to advise if your HVAC system is supported.  Just contact them with your make and model and they will advise which IntesisBox to purchase.  Some systems have a communications port on it which provides true two way control using the correct IntesisBox.  See link below for all models supported by our driver.

http://www.intesisbox.com/en/wifi/gateways/

@alanchow A large number of home builders in Australia use Actron Air for their ducted systems. Have you ever seen anything that supports Actron (Australian company) or come across any solution to fully control an Actron ducted system with Control4 apart from simple on/off ? I assume the universal controller is along the right lines but is this a matter of getting Intesis to write a driver for Actron systems or Actron to release specs, as Actron isn't on Intesis compatability list.

4 minutes ago, NiNJA said:

@alanchow A large number of home builders in Australia use Actron Air for their ducted systems. Have you ever seen anything that supports Actron (Australian company) or come across any solution to fully control an Actron ducted system with Control4 apart from simple on/off ? I assume the universal controller is along the right lines but is this a matter of getting Intesis to write a driver for Actron systems or Actron to release specs, as Actron isn't on Intesis compatability list.

We get a few requests for actron.  Seems to only come from NSW.  The local area sales manager has tried putting me in touch with them but they don’t answer my emails.

We get a few requests for actron.  Seems to only come from NSW.  The local area sales manager has tried putting me in touch with them but they don’t answer my emails.

How about temperzone? Any chance to support?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, k3nnis said:

How about temperzone? Any chance to support?

Temperzone has a Honeywell adapter.  You can use the Control4 or any other Honeywell based thermostat that integrates

Temperzone has a Honeywell adapter.  You can use the Control4 or any other Honeywell based thermostat that integrates

Thanks who can I speak to , to arrange this? And what are the costs approx for the thermostat?

In Australia NSW utilises Actron heavily, QLD/WA used advantage air and VIC uses Brivis.

god knows what’s popular in the other states.

anyway the only Australian specific integration I have is Advantage Air.

apart from that IntesisBox handles most split systems and also japanese ducted / VRV systems

1 minute ago, k3nnis said:

Thanks who can I speak to , to arrange this? And what are the costs approx for the thermostat?

Your Control4 dealer can supply and fit a Control4 thermostat. Temperzone can supply you with their adapter

As mentioned you need to get a honeywell adapter from them though honestly i haven't worked with them for about 10 years but back when i used to work for the local Control4 distributor we tested it out and it worked fine.

Smart Temp will be able to tell you the exact model you need.  Again keyword 'honeywell adapter'.  Then go to your Control4 dealer and get him to install a Control4 thermostat (or other honeywell based one if you prefer).

Just now, k3nnis said:

Ok I will mention Honeywell adaptor. If they ask me what it’s for what do I tell them? To plug in a wifi thermostat?

Honeywell adapter to plug in a honeywell thermostat..

you should probably get your dealer to do everything since if you screw it up you'll probably screw up your hvac system.

48 minutes ago, alanchow said:

In Australia NSW utilises Actron heavily, QLD/WA used advantage air and VIC uses Brivis.

god knows what’s popular in the other states.

anyway the only Australian specific integration I have is Advantage Air.

apart from that IntesisBox handles most split systems and also japanese ducted / VRV systems

Yeah Actron make a big deal about their vertical venting with their outside units for Australian conditions and a lot of project home builders seem to use them. Last time I asked them they talked about their own upcoming mobile app and didnt really have anyone that could talk in any more detail on automation. Wonder if home buyers knew the limitations of Actron in this space upfront before signing a building contract whether more people would stay away from them or insist their builders pick another brand for HVAC.

I have seen the CoolMasterNet product before and it also has a wide array of support for HVAC brands. https://coolautomation.com/products/coolmasternet/#link_tab-1417938236-1-25

For a ducted system, when you say "IntesisBox allows you to easily integrate HVAC systems into Control4 by retrofitting the IntesisBox gateway into the existing indoor unit" .... are you only talking about split systems here or fully ducted as well as I read "indoor units" as the header unit that sits on the wall for a split system?

8 hours ago, NiNJA said:

Yeah Actron make a big deal about their vertical venting with their outside units for Australian conditions and a lot of project home builders seem to use them. Last time I asked them they talked about their own upcoming mobile app and didnt really have anyone that could talk in any more detail on automation. Wonder if home buyers knew the limitations of Actron in this space upfront before signing a building contract whether more people would stay away from them or insist their builders pick another brand for HVAC.

I have seen the CoolMasterNet product before and it also has a wide array of support for HVAC brands. https://coolautomation.com/products/coolmasternet/#link_tab-1417938236-1-25

For a ducted system, when you say "IntesisBox allows you to easily integrate HVAC systems into Control4 by retrofitting the IntesisBox gateway into the existing indoor unit" .... are you only talking about split systems here or fully ducted as well as I read "indoor units" as the header unit that sits on the wall for a split system?

See the link below for IntesisBox supported HVAC systems.

intesisbox.com/en/wifi/gateways/

• 5 months later...
17 minutes ago, chaim said:

Alam,

I have Fujitsu splits at home and installed a few IntesisHome FJ-IR-WIFI-NA

Will this work with your driver? Or due to the fact I have a few devices on my network it won't work?

Tx!

IntesisHome products are not compatible with our IntesisBox driver.  The only models compatible are listed in the link below.

https://www.intesisbox.com/en/wifi/gateways/

You can purchase and install a FJ-RC-WMP-1 product as a replacement for compatibility.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.