C4 Forums | Control4

Composer HE Device Renamer Driver

Everyone has always wanted a way to rename devices in Composer HE, well today is your Lucky day!  Download the Greenfield Solutions device rename driver for Composer HE and you can now rename devices without calling your dealer!  Install one instance of this driver in your project.  You simply select the device you want to rename from the device selector list, type the new name and click set and the device is now renamed!  Refresh Navigators and PROFIT!

https://www.houselogix.com/shop/composer-he-device-renamer 

Available on HouseLogix for less then one phone call to most dealers :)

This will allow you to rename:

• lights
  • tvs 
  • remotes
  • dvd/ bluray
  • projectors
  • fans
  • receivers
  • tuners
  • speaker points
  • thermostats
  • security panels
  • pools
  • touchscreens

If you find a device you can't rename I can update the driver to allow updating of it!

ENJOY!

Note: This driver does require a dealer to install one time.  We also recommend having the HouseLogix auto update driver installed as we will be adding the ability to rename additional devices over time.  With the auto update driver, you will be able to have the ability to rename new devices within 72 hrs of them being added and without the need to contact your dealer.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dcovach said:

Now, I don't care what anyone says....

Does anyone say anything bad about it? At least in principal, which I guess is what you mean?

I can't imagine any dealer wants to go and change names because someone changes their mind, situation changes and so on.......I sure as heck can't justify charging for it (except perhaps in extreme circumstances, such as rename everything in a house as it is being sold and everything was named very specific to previous owners, or done in a different language - even then, it'd be a token charge) - so it's all 'lost' time anyway.

Heck the only reason it wasn't/isn't a priority for me to have Control4 change things to make it possible is because they have more important things to spend their resources on as far as I'm concerned....

On the driver itself, curious if it's purely 'manual' or can renaming be done programmatically? Has it been extensively tested to not mess up programming on devices when renamed?

2 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

On the driver itself, curious if it's purely 'manual' or can renaming be done programmatically? Has it been extensively tested to not mess up programming on devices when renamed?

It's only Manual right now, not sure how you would do it programmatically and why?  It has not been extensively tested to not mess up programming but it is no different then a dealer right clicking on a device and renaming it

5 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

This is a very good point. I would hope or assume that this new rename driver functions exactly the same as when a device is renamed by a dealer using composer pro.

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

It has not been extensively tested to not mess up programming but it is no different then a dealer right clicking on a device and renaming it

But that is not something that gets done a hundred times, and most of the time is done before any programming is attached. I've had it happen where that DID mess with programming - though very, very rarely.

Not saying it's a major factor - but if it's done via programming, it could become more of an issue (or remain a non issue!). Primarily just curious - and perhaps something to keep in mind, or perhaps protect yourself from (disclaimer).

Just now, Cyknight said:

But that is not something that gets done a hundred times, and most of the time is done before any programming is attached. I've had it happen where that DID mess with programming - though very, very rarely.

Not saying it's a major factor - but if it's done via programming, it could become more of an issue (or remain a non issue!). Primarily just curious - and perhaps something to keep in mind, or perhaps protect yourself from (disclaimer).

Thanks! Fair points.  This is all standard API stuff

Programmatic renaming is now possible in V1.0.1 just want to finish testing.  The biggest thing I can't find in the API is programmatically refreshing navigators....so without that, it kinda is pointless IMHO to programmatically rename devices.

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Programmatic renaming is now possible in V1.0.1 just want to finish testing.  The biggest thing I can't find in the API is programmatically refreshing navigators....so without that, it kinda is pointless IMHO to programmatically rename devices.

Not really - could always use the reboot driver to reboot main controller.

Annex4 in there free link driver has the ability to refresh navigators, director and reboot controller.  

You could add the link driver and the rename driver and accomplish this via programming.

Annex4 in there free link driver has the ability to refresh navigators, director and reboot controller.  

You could add the link driver and the rename driver and accomplish this via programming.

If they have a way I will do more research

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So, is the renaming done from this driver's properties page instead of right clicking the device?

Can the driver be expanded so we can reorder devices, install new drivers and change bindings? :D

So, is the renaming done from this driver's properties page instead of right clicking the device?

Can the driver be expanded so we can reorder devices, install new drivers and change bindings?

Correct there is a device list. Select a device from the list. Enter new name in textbox and set.

No installation. No reordering. No new drivers. No bindings.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

No installation. No reordering. No new drivers. No bindings.

I understand.  Just a small dig at C4. :)

It is absolutely ridiculous that HE restricts users from renaming devices and your driver will be helpful to those that don't want to manually manipulate the XML to do it (which isn't for the faint of heart).

Next time I have work done, I'll have this driver installed.  I really don't need it any more, but the idea of programmatically renaming devices might be interesting for some things, especially if you can do an auto refresh of the navs.

For the auto renaming of devices - how does this impact the Control4 Alexa support?  If a light is renamed do you have to rediscover devices?

Archived