Pics before I break the racks down and move

sonic30101

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@N8Ball saw you are working on announcements.

This is how mine works:

Doorbell is wire into controller contact in. I use both the kodi full drivers for text popup and the ifttt driver since my cable boxes allow text no screen. Then I use the polly text to speech with the closest voice i could find to J.A.R.V.I.S lol.

Family/main floor layout is 5.1 which I leave in all channel stereo a vast majority of the time for music and normal TV with custom buttons to switch sound fields. Family AVR preout for surround back is a source on my matrix so overflow can happen without having to deal with sync issues. Breakfast and kitchen typically follow the family room using that input on the audio matrix but have the ability to act separately when needed. So when the audio announcement fires, the family can keep playing its content without interruption, the breakfast/kitchen speakers will switch and play the audio announcement then depending on if overflow mode is active they will either turn off or go back to following the family room. Master bath will also play the announcement. Back deck will play the announcement only if the zone is on because if I am back there the music is always on and i dont want to blast notifications unecessarily

As well as IFTTT pushbullet notifications to mobile devices

This happens for the mailbox sensor, washer and dryer, and doorbell at the moment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4jj6skgbcp54fl/20180323_155249.mp4?dl=0

34 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

@N8Ball saw you are working on announcements.

This is how mine works:

Doorbell is wire into controller contact in. I use both the kodi full drivers for text popup and the ifttt driver since my cable boxes allow text no screen. Then I use the polly text to speech with the closest voice i could find to J.A.R.V.I.S lol.

Family/main floor layout is 5.1 which I leave in all channel stereo a vast majority of the time for music and normal TV with custom buttons to switch sound fields. Family AVR preout for surround back is a source on my matrix so overflow can happen without having to deal with sync issues. Breakfast and kitchen typically follow the family room using that input on the audio matrix but have the ability to act separately when needed. So when the audio announcement fires, the family can keep playing its content without interruption, the breakfast/kitchen speakers will switch and play the audio announcement then depending on if overflow mode is active they will either turn off or go back to following the family room. Master bath will also play the announcement. Back deck will play the announcement only if the zone is on because if I am back there the music is always on and i dont want to blast notifications unecessarily

As well as IFTTT pushbullet notifications to mobile devices

This happens for the mailbox sensor, washer and dryer, and doorbell at the moment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4jj6skgbcp54fl/20180323_155249.mp4?dl=0

This seems waaaay out of my ability, but I do have questions if you have time/want to answer. If not, no worries, as I can't imagine being able to do what you've done.

1) Why connect doorbell direct to controller? What does this do for you?

2) What does the Kodi Driver do for you for this "announcement" use case?

3) What cable box allows text? I have Directv and can't find that functionality

4) I assume you use the polly text to speech and do not use the C4 Announcement functionality at all? Just custom programming on events?

5) How are you keeping multi room announcements in sync? Mine are always just a bit off.

Thanks a ton...and I'm sooo jealous, you have an amazing setup.

47 minutes ago, N8Ball said:

This seems waaaay out of my ability, but I do have questions if you have time/want to answer. If not, no worries, as I can't imagine being able to do what you've done.

1) Why connect doorbell direct to controller? What does this do for you?

2) What does the Kodi Driver do for you for this "announcement" use case?

3) What cable box allows text? I have Directv and can't find that functionality

4) I assume you use the polly text to speech and do not use the C4 Announcement functionality at all? Just custom programming on events?

5) How are you keeping multi room announcements in sync? Mine are always just a bit off.

Thanks a ton...and I'm sooo jealous, you have an amazing setup.

1. I dont have a video doorbell yet so needed a way to get an input from the doorbell. I needed to disconnect the ringer so the dogs dont go insane. Also linked the kids sonos play3's to know when they are taking naps so default room volume lowers/voice announcements stop and just do phone notifications and a lamp will flicker

2. On screen popups along with kodi player control and media library stuff. I use Alans kodi full driver

3. xfinity x1. https://ifttt.com/comcast_labs

4. Polly text to speech driver by annex4 loads an announcement wav file and i use the c4 agent to do the announcement 

5. They are all on 1 8 zone amp so I dont have the audio announcement play on the avr and having to do delays since it is instant switching and on

1 hour ago, Pounce said:

Nice. If that is concrete on the wall you could be better off with foam then batt. I'd also encourage you to use Roxul Rockwool instead of fiberglass.You can use Roxul instead of the pink stuff plus foam board.

Would if i could but not in the budget at the moment. And if the wife kills me I wont be able to finish the project lmao. The very back wall is the only one I wont be able to access once sheetrock is up, plus it is furthest from the LCRs and subs. The rest I have access to from the back and can and will insulate at a later date. We live in georgia so though the foam would be nice I dont think the temp gets cold enough to really benefit from but plan on throwing on since the area to the right of the screen is easy to get to and will be used for additional storage. The front wall I would probably throw rockwool in from the back in the future but not a huge rush. I dont really plan on being "done" till this fall since I am doing the entire thing solo and on a pauper's budget

29 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

Would if i could but not in the budget at the moment. And if the wife kills me I wont be able to finish the project lmao. The very back wall is the only one I wont be able to access once sheetrock is up, plus it is furthest from the LCRs and subs. The rest I have access to from the back and can and will insulate at a later date. We live in georgia so though the foam would be nice I dont think the temp gets cold enough to really benefit from but plan on throwing on since the area to the right of the screen is easy to get to and will be used for additional storage. The front wall I would probably throw rockwool in from the back in the future but not a huge rush. I dont really plan on being "done" till this fall since I am doing the entire thing solo and on a pauper's budget

I'm in Roswell GA. I have a FLIR camera to check thermal bridging etc. I think you would be surprised at how cold that concrete can get. The other reason to put an inch of foam on it is to prevent condensation issues within the wall that can lead to other problems like mold. The rockwool is also really good for sound treatment. Much better than pink stuff.

I did multiple coats of drylok for now and hoping that since it is new construction wont have any issues. Will definitely do the foam board and rockwool on the front wall one day since i can get back there through a doorway I am putting in behind a movie poster on a hinge. 

Sounds good.  If it's new construction I imagine you have great drainage on the other side of the wall. People are much smarter about this in recent years. Better products available. Doubt you will get water through the wall. Dryloc doesn't solve the condensation issue, but sealing it like that is good protection against the kind of growth you could get on the concrete surface with water.

Are you insulating under the floor above at all?

What type of ceiling are you installing? Suspended or drywall? If drywall I'd recommend using hangers and hat channel to decouple from our i-joists.

It is insulated with builder grade brown eco batting and I will probably do something in addition here based on $ when i get to that point. Will be sheetrock decoupled. Luckily bedrooms are on the second floor so I am not going to go too insane. One reason I hooked most of the speakers up to test with to see how badly it bleeds upstairs minus the atmos speakers since I don't have them yet and no ceiling to put them in lol. I'd love to go crazy and double layer decoupled sheetrock with the special adhesive, foam board, rockwool, etc but the wife would never go for it lol

• 4 weeks later...

actually I am sheetrocking the walls now. Gotta save up for some more rockwool for the ceiling. Went back and pulled out the pink stuff and moved that to other exterior walls in the basement and put it in the walls at @Pounce's suggestion and he was right. My frugalness got away from me and I wasnt thinking it through all the way. The side walls have access from behind so i will rockwool them after I finish rocking and do the ceiling

20180426_123110.jpg

20180426_123115.jpg

20180426_180539.jpg

20180428_151542.jpg

20180428_151534.jpg

https://imgur.com/gallery/vFex7

Looks great! Nice job.

If those are IC can lights you can tape all the seams. If you insulate the ceiling for sound the lights should get extra or shroud them in foam or safe n sound bar or comfortboard. Recessed lights take extra work to insulate for sound. Normally they are like punching 6 inch holes. Surface mount can save a lot of effort.

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2017 at 2:56 PM, sonic30101 said:

Still a bit of tidying up but getting close to preliminary rack build before starting on basement theater

20171210_145405.jpg

20171210_142557.jpg

20171208_220347.jpg

20171208_220356.jpg

these orange rings are what I was talking about...how do they finish out?

17 hours ago, ecschnei said:

these orange rings are what I was talking about...how do they finish out?

They are just 2 gang nail up boxes, I will get some split passthrough plates eventually. But this is in a basement rack room so I will eventually put 1/2" plywood painted white that I can remove easily for service in sections instead of sheetrock

https://we-supply.com/dual-gang-splitport-plate-with-grommet-white-2gswh?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvqbaBRCOARIsAD9s1XBD3p6OJ7If4YUWIaavhQZJZ0K6HcH0gA_aHG6xEQCVhg4Urcr_GTUaArtzEALw_wcB

8 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

plywood painted white that I can remove easily for service in sections instead of sheetrock

If you have a permit for the construction I'd check with your city building inspector on what they want for walls. In my city (in GA also) they do not permit plywood. They would make me use some form of drywall or other fire rated wall product. They would also want me to fire block at the top plates where there are any penetrations. Your city may permit the plywood, but its worth a call if your city is involved at all with your build out. Where it matters is safety and insurance coverage (hoping you never need to use it).

I like those split plates. I have looked for something like that and never found anything. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Archived