C4 Forums | Control4

pool control

35 minutes ago, zaphod said:

But why is it so expensive?  Isn't this something that could be done with a Raspberry Pi and/or Arduion plus a bit of software?

Control board that allows external control of the pumps, lights, temp, etc. His existing one probably is a self contained setup that doesnt have wifi/Rf or a rs485 style interface. I would stick with wifi/rf because i have seen a lot of issues with the wired ones and I think it is power related

15 hours ago, zaphod said:

But why is it so expensive?  Isn't this something that could be done with a Raspberry Pi and/or Arduion plus a bit of software?

The cost I posted was for a new load center.  That's how much they cost.  When building a pool, your builder usually includes this in the bid but they may not itemize it.  Depending on how many things you want to control (spa, waterfall, lights, etc.), the costs can vary.

15 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

Control board that allows external control of the pumps, lights, temp, etc. His existing one probably is a self contained setup that doesnt have wifi/Rf or a rs485 style interface. I would stick with wifi/rf because i have seen a lot of issues with the wired ones and I think it is power related

For Pentair systems, you have a few choices.  I have the EasyTouch system and I added the ScreenLogic system to control it which has both wifi and hardwired options.  The new IntelliCenter has everything you need bundled together so you don't have to purchase a separate module like you had to with the previous system.  

I'm sure if Pentair opened their API, someone could write an IP driver for the ScreenLogic system.  I can control everything from the app locally and remotely.  Just wanted to be able to integrate it into C4.  

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

But still - why $2k so that you can flip a couple of relays and adjust a temperature on the heater remotely.  The last time I looked these interfaces did not even let you adjust stuff like SWCG percentages from the remote interface.

The cool factor...

More seriously, I find it very useful for turning the temperature on my spa back up a day or two before I return from holiday etc.

11 hours ago, zaphod said:

But still - why $2k so that you can flip a couple of relays and adjust a temperature on the heater remotely.  The last time I looked these interfaces did not even let you adjust stuff like SWCG percentages from the remote interface.

The load center is not so you can do it remotely.  It's so you can do it at all.  The remote piece is a separate component today.  The new center includes the remote connectivity piece.  Again, that is the price for a new load center which is line with what they cost today with the similiar functionality. 

e.g. the current IntelliTouch i9 costs around $1800.  It all depends on how many relays you need and how many actuators are required.  My control unit costs $1200 and I don't have a spa or color LED lights.  That was a very basic unit.  My neighbors costs well over $2500 since he has a lot more devices to control.

On 9/5/2018 at 12:11 AM, South Africa C4 user said:

The cool factor...

More seriously, I find it very useful for turning the temperature on my spa back up a day or two before I return from holiday etc.

That would be useful, as would turning the spa temp down every day between midnight and noon if you never use it during those hours.  But my spa is a standalone Jacuzzi that is 12 years old so I don't think it has automation options.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have the IntelliCenter panel up and running. It is very nice and user interface works great. We also have it connected to the driver from Homeation. The driver is displaying pool heater status and set point and if pump is on/off. Now we just need to figure out how to connect to or add pool light features and show current water temp (right now middle of circle doesn’t show temp) 

We have ordered the Intellicenter and lots of expansion panels for our beach house and should have it installed in the next month.  Not cheap with everything (Intellichem, 8 or 9 pump controls, a chiller pump control, a blower control and control of 3 heat pumps)  included for 4 bodies of water (pool, jacuzzi, chiller and water feature) and 22 lights...

• 6 months later...

anybody know where to get the intellicenter driver. upgrading my intellitouch next week, and want to keep integration.  have heard of the homeation driver, but cannot find it listed anywhere.

is there anybody who could point me to this, or send me a copy if it is a free driver?

thanks

Steve

On 4/29/2019 at 6:57 AM, shawkyns said:

anybody know where to get the intellicenter driver. upgrading my intellitouch next week, and want to keep integration.  have heard of the homeation driver, but cannot find it listed anywhere.

is there anybody who could point me to this, or send me a copy if it is a free driver?

thanks

Steve

Did you figure out where to get the driver?  I'm looking for it also...

On 4/24/2019 at 9:03 PM, penn65000 said:

Aqualink sucks — unreliable and dated. Don’t know if Pentair is better. Pool tech is stuck in the 1970s. 

Agreed.  Why is pool tech so bad and so crazy expensive?

I got the current Pentair Driver from Pentair themselves... but it is a “failed” beta driver and OK at best.  I also received the following in an email from Pentair this week:

Control4

Pentair recognizes the importance of having a driver for Control4 available as soon as possible.  Pentair engaged a home automation software company in 2018 to provide a Control4 driver for IntelliCenter.  There were many problems with this driver and it ultimately failed Control4 certification testing.  As a result, Control4 decided to create an IntelliCenter driver (which is always the best-case scenario).  However, Control4 has not provided a date of availability. 

Just now, South Africa C4 user said:

I got the current Pentair Driver from Pentair themselves... but it is a “failed” beta driver and OK at best.  I also received the following in an email from Pentair this week:

Control4

Pentair recognizes the importance of having a driver for Control4 available as soon as possible.  Pentair engaged a home automation software company in 2018 to provide a Control4 driver for IntelliCenter.  There were many problems with this driver and it ultimately failed Control4 certification testing.  As a result, Control4 decided to create an IntelliCenter driver (which is always the best-case scenario).  However, Control4 has not provided a date of availability. 

Maybe @RyanE or @Derrick Cain are ITK and can give a date 😎

Maybe they can also get someone at C4 to fix the biggest bug on the old IntelliTouch driver which is that the “HasSpa” loses its state on a director reboot and the variable defaults to false which is very irritating...

Worth a try 😀 - apologies to the 2 of you in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have used the Pentair a few years back and now the new pool I am on the HAyward OmniLogic. The HAyward app has more functionality of course for the chlorination and pool chemicals etc. but the C4 driver has all the basics which is fine for controlling the pool, spa, pumps, heater, pool cleaner and lights. Especially like the ability to create various scenes for family to keep it simple on C4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Jandy RS-PS system (iAqualink).

Used the iAqualink driver and it works great.  Can control all pool functions that are in the native Jandy app.

Have yet to do programming in Control4, but excited to try out a "Pool Scene" to turn on lights, music, spa, etc.

On 10/1/2018 at 11:21 PM, grant0830 said:

We have the IntelliCenter panel up and running. It is very nice and user interface works great. We also have it connected to the driver from Homeation. The driver is displaying pool heater status and set point and if pump is on/off. Now we just need to figure out how to connect to or add pool light features and show current water temp (right now middle of circle doesn’t show temp) 

Not sure if its the same but with Hayward Omnilogic the pool pump needs to be running for it to display pool temp.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.