C4 Forums | Control4

Thermostat best practices

C4Newbie

Can anyone share what's worked best with your thermostats as far as calibrating, adjusting, Overshoot and Undershoot, etc.

My house has not been able to maintain a comfortable temperature since these thermostats have been installed and I am concerned about the thermostats not reading accurate temperatures, the overshoot and undershoot being too great (will it be crazy expensive to set this to 0), and the possibility (but only speculation) that the thermostats are telling the burners to continue kicking on even when the house is warmer than necessary.

Thanks in advance for sharing what's worked.

Have you calibrated them? If not - do that before you do anything else.

Undershoot / overshoot - usually nor more than 1 or 2 degrees.

Undershoot means how far it'll let the temperature drop BEFORE it calls for heat. Overshoot is how long it will keep the heater on before telling it to turn off.

For example if I set my undershoot and overshoot both to 1 degree and I set the thermostat to 70 degrees... then when it hits 68 degrees it'll tell the furnace to turn on the heater. It'll keep going until it reaches 71 degrees then turn off.

Having a similar problem with my thermostats. I don't think the dealer "calibrated". What does that entail exactly? I notice that the number itself on the C4 thermostats is much higher than the replaced Honeywell thermostats. Is that due to lack of calibration?

One or both are not calibrated.

Radio Shack has: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2460852 which will take an exact reading. Anyone installing thermostats should purchase one and use it!!! As you'll find most product is NOT calibrated out of the box (it may be close and usually is - but rarely is it correct).

at 0 it means that anytime the temp is NOT at the set temp - it's going to kick on. You typically want to have an under/overshoot of 1 degree - this way your furnace isn't coming on and going off all the time.

Archived