C4 Forums | Control4

Music streaming options and recommendations

Hello,

We recently bought a house (2 years old) with Control4 in it.  Pretty happy so far with everything, but the we really have no options for music.  The house has 12 zones of audio with an audio switch and multiple amps with room to grow.  The problem is we currently have no audio sources.   My wife listens to iheart radio, my daughter listens to Spotify, I sometimes listen to Pandora, but usually prefer to listen to Amazon music.   There will definitely be times where all 3 of us are listening to 3 different sources.   I want it easy to use from the Control4 app or touchscreen, but not sure what direction to go.  Been reading on this forum for a while and thought I would ask here and get multiple opinions before I call a dealer.   I'm looking for more of an all in one solution instead of multiple sources.   Also, it would be killer to use a bunch of Amazon Dots in the rooms that I like to listen to music so I can just use voice commands.  Is it possible to feed Amazon Dots into my audio switch?  Thanks for any replies in advance.

Hey crazy welcome to the forum.  I will respond because no one else has, but I am not extremely knowledgeable like some of these guys.  First off I think all of those sources are available as inputs.  I know we use Pandora, not sure on the others.  Also on the echo dots, yes you can use them, but a little clarification on terminology.  They don't feed into the audio matrix they connect to your controller and then you issue commands to your controller which would then control the audio sources.  Whatever same result.

You can actually feed the audio from the dot straight into your audio matrix and use it as a source.  There is a separate driver from the voice scene driver to do this.  After you have the physical connections made and the voice scenes set up you could do things like "Alexa turn on bedroom dot" to chose the dot as the source then "Alexa play Amazon playlist x".  

I like AirPlay quite a bit. This allows you to stream any music wirelessly from your iOS devices to the Control4 system. This includes any apps such as amazon music, spotify or youtube. Control4 has Shairbridge (airplay) built in. But even though it has more features and is technically included as no additional hardware cost I strongly recommend getting an Apple AirPort express and using a no control driver. ShairBridge has been too hit and miss in my experience and using apple airports is rock solid. Hardwire them to the network.

Google Chromecast Audio. - Same thing as AirPlay, just for Android devices. I like chromecast slightly better than airplay, but that's probably because I like Android slightly better than IOS

Sonos - You can save favorite internet radio stations and channels and recall them with Control4. Sonos has great sources to listen to but the integration is very weak.

Heos - They released new drivers last week, This actually is starting to look like it can trump Sonos now that their integration is lack luster. If I had to choose between a Sonos Connect or Heos Link I would likely choose Denon at this point (as far as C4 integration goes) Heos also has a Amazon Music Module. This would also be a great way to get Sirius integrated.

Built in Tune-in/TIDAL/Deezer/Pandora within Control4.

Thats pretty much it. No one really using CDs or even saved files on a NAS anymore, its all streaming content basically.

1 hour ago, BraydonH said:

I like AirPlay quite a bit. This allows you to stream any music wirelessly from your iOS devices to the Control4 system. This includes any apps such as amazon music, spotify or youtube. Control4 has Shairbridge (airplay) built in. But even though it has more features and is technically included as no additional hardware cost I strongly recommend getting an Apple AirPort express and using a no control driver. ShairBridge has been too hit and miss in my experience and using apple airports is rock solid. Hardwire them to the network.

Thats pretty much it. No one really using CDs or even saved files on a NAS anymore, its all streaming content basically.

I also recommend Shairbridge... Find it just as reliable as AirPlay.

i still use my NAS (almost a year of "good" music if I play it all back to back!).

I've had had and miss with AIRPLAY, both shairbridege and airport express (heck I had a barnad new mac that couldn't stream to a brand new airport express connected to a brand new airport extreme all hardwired, yet it would do shairbridge no problem).

That said, IF it works, it can be great. Assuming you have the proper hardware and software, at least trying shairbridge is a no-brainer.

Native pandora, chromecast audios and a 4tb NAS for me. The echo dots can work but they will have to be in spots that you can home run the audio out back to your matrix. That is why i use the chromecasts so i can have a few g-homes, slap a few chromecast audios in the rack and use their grouping 

Wow, thanks for all the replies.  I'm liking the autonomic solution except I read that it is really expensive.  I should of originally posted that we are using Shairbridge now, but I don't like all the steps to get it playing in a zone (maybe I'm doing it wrong).  I would really like for my wife and daughter  to just go to "listen" and choose spotify or iheart radio from the app and then be able to choose which stations, artists, or playlists to play.  I also have the availability to get new wires to areas that I want to use the dot.  I was hoping that getting the music services that I want would be easy, but it looks like not everybody plays nice with each other.   

If you're looking for a music service supported by your controller, we've started using Deezer and I have to say I really like it a lot.  I didn't think I'd find anything I liked better than Google Play (not the most popular service, I know), but after a few weeks I was hooked.  Unfortunately I don't think they support family accounts in the US, yet.

13 hours ago, thegreatheed said:

Are you using the auto room on option in the ShairBridge driver? That reduces the number of steps you have to do considerably. Just start the audio on your iphone and airplay it. Then Control4 will automatically turn on the room configured in the driver.

Thanks thegreatheed,  I didn't know that was an option. How do you turn on this feature,  does it require my installer to come out.  I'd like to try it and see if the family likes it if it is easier than what we are doing now.  This might solve our problem.  

Just now, Cyknight said:

So select one that doesn't - or root. We're not talking to the average bear on these forums.

yeah, or just avoid airplay.  I shouldn't have to root a device to airplay music.  Airplay isn't that great anyway...

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

So select one that doesn't - or root. We're not talking to the average bear on these forums.

Sending system-level audio to the airplay device requires root in Android, minus a few HTC phones that have started integrating it. 

Apart from those phones, the only audio options are media stored on the phone or some strange things like MP3s in dropbox/drive. No streaming services support airplay in android.

1 hour ago, thegreatheed said:

Sending system-level audio to the airplay device requires root in Android, minus a few HTC phones that have started integrating it. 

Apart from those phones, the only audio options are media stored on the phone or some strange things like MP3s in dropbox/drive. No streaming services support airplay in android.

hence why I don't recommend a vendor lock in protocol...

13 hours ago, Dave w said:

Also check out the Legrand Nuvo system. It integrates well with c4 and plays almost all the sources you listed and has audio input for Alexa, google, etc.  and is much cheaper than autonomic. 

Thanks for the info, I check into Nuvo p3500 and it is $3000 for their 3 stream player.  I don't see that as being cheaper than Autonomic which I can get 2 streams for $2000 and add a single stream player for $1000.   Is there another Nuvo piece I should be looking at?

The nuvo is a matrix amp and streamer combined. Autonomic is just the streamer.  You would still need amps and matrix.  The P3100 is same as P3400 but less power per channel 40watts vs 100. It's only about $1300 and gives you 3 zones, with multiple sources. They also have P200 and P300 single zone players.  

http://www.legrand.us/categories/audio-and-video/multi-room-audio-systems/player-portfolio.aspx

On 4/26/2017 at 0:52 AM, Dave w said:

The nuvo is a matrix amp and streamer combined. Autonomic is just the streamer.  You would still need amps and matrix.  The P3100 is same as P3400 but less power per channel 40watts vs 100. It's only about $1300 and gives you 3 zones, with multiple sources. They also have P200 and P300 single zone players.  

http://www.legrand.us/categories/audio-and-video/multi-room-audio-systems/player-portfolio.aspx

Yes, I don't need anything with a built in amp.  Could I use the Nuvo p300 player?  Is there a way for Control4 to control it? Also, would I need the the Nuvo gateway.  I can hook the Nuvo p300 player to my network via an ethernet cable.

Archived