C4 Forums | Control4

Controlling Somfy Motors

I had some motorized sunshades built for my back porch (should arrive in about 10 days) and they've got Somfy motors in them. What is required for me to control them via C4? They are coming with a remote that will control them. There are two big shades and I obviously want them to move in sync. Ideally this would also be wireless (I have power ran but no LV wiring). 

Thanks in advance!

If all you need is open & close of one group, then this piece is dead simple.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HM9QOCA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a Somfy remote in a box with wires for contact closure, of course you'll need to locate it within range of the shades. It's a lot smaller than the box they include, naked remote circuit board inside, needs 3 wires using 2 relays on a controller (open,close,common). If you also want individual control of each shade, than not the solution for you.

8 hours ago, RAV said:

If all you need is open & close of one group, then this piece is dead simple.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HM9QOCA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a Somfy remote in a box with wires for contact closure, of course you'll need to locate it within range of the shades. It's a lot smaller than the box they include, naked remote circuit board inside, needs 3 wires using 2 relays on a controller (open,close,common). If you also want individual control of each shade, than not the solution for you.

So with that piece, as long as I can attach it to 2 relays that are within wireless range of the shades I'm good to go? It will control them both and move them together? I don't care about moving them individually from Control4. I can do that from the remote if I want to. 90% of the time, I'll want to move them both up and down together.

What is the wireless range like? My controllers are mounted about 40 feet to the side and 20 feet below where the shades will be. I have great Zigbee coverage out to where the shades are going to be from those same controllers...I use the remote out there all the time.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

So with that piece, as long as I can attach it to 2 relays that are within wireless range of the shades I'm good to go? It will control them both and move them together? I don't care about moving them individually from Control4. I can do that from the remote if I want to. 90% of the time, I'll want to move them both up and down together.

What is the wireless range like? My controllers are mounted about 40 feet to the side and 20 feet below where the shades will be. I have great Zigbee coverage out to where the shades are going to be from those same controllers...I use the remote out there all the time.

Thanks!

Used it with bug screens another dealer had installed, he had already programmed the Somfy remote that has a channel selection on it, one of the channels he had programmed for all three shades as a group. So I programmed this piece to do that group channel and all three work together. Range is the same as a Somfy remote..... (since it is one). As noted, if you also want 'stop', that's another wire and relay.

On 28.5.2017 at 3:37 PM, vstar said:

Yeah that seems to be the easiest way to do it - set up everything on the Somfy side via RTS and the use the Wifi-Bridge with the MyLink driver.

I didn't know of this bridge, looks like the page has been updated since the last time I looked.

Let me see if I can help a bit (I wrote the Somfy driver referenced by blub).

This driver supports Somfy RTS (one-way) blinds via the new Somfy myLink interface, which is an IP-connected device.  It also supports Somfy SDN (two-way) blinds via the Somfy UAI interface, which is a serially-connected device (RS232).  After adding the interface driver (capable of supporting myLink and UAI simultaneously), you add one blind driver for each blind in your project.  Each blind can then be defined as an RTS blind or an SDN blind.  The installation is quite straightforward.

The other alternatives for controlling Somfy RTS blinds typically use the Somfy 16-channel URTSI II in North America or the Somfy 16-channel RT485 RTS Transmitter elsewhere.  Free drivers exist with limited functions, but I have a driver on HouseLogix which supports virtually everything RTS, along with an elaborate timing model which interfaces nicely with the new blind interface available in OS 2.9.

18 hours ago, pbir said:

This driver supports Somfy RTS (one-way) blinds via the new Somfy myLink interface, which is an IP-connected device.  It also supports Somfy SDN (two-way) blinds via the Somfy UAI interface, which is a serially-connected device (RS232).  After adding the interface driver (capable of supporting myLink and UAI simultaneously), you add one blind driver for each blind in your project.  Each blind can then be defined as an RTS blind or an SDN blind.  The installation is quite straightforward.

The other alternatives for controlling Somfy RTS blinds typically use the Somfy 16-channel URTSI II in North America or the Somfy 16-channel RT485 RTS Transmitter elsewhere.  Free drivers exist with limited functions, but I have a driver on HouseLogix which supports virtually everything RTS, along with an elaborate timing model which interfaces nicely with the new blind interface available in OS 2.9.

Thank you! So they included the "Somfy 16-channel URTSI II" with my order, as well as a "5 channel remote". Will that allow me control these from Control4, with no wires ran other than power? Or do I need the unit mentioned above that utilizes relays?

You will be able to control from Control4 by connecting the URTSI to a serial port and using an appropriate driver.  No wires to the blinds other than power are required.  Make sure first that you can operate your blinds using the Somfy remote, then program the URTSI and verify that it operates the blinds (it has buttons) and then Control4.  You can try the Domosapiens driver on HouseLogix for free during 2 days.

On 31.5.2017 at 1:04 AM, pbir said:

Thx a lot. That clears up what those drivers can do.

I just browsed the European Somfy site and noticed that RTS is marked as legacy and they deploy wireless shades via the new io-homecontrol protocol.

Link: https://www.somfysystems.com/downloads/nam/guide_io_en.pdf

Do you know if there is chance that it is supported via Control4?

My understanding is that io-homecontrol uses European-only frequencies and would possibly not be allowed in North America. Also, it is a closed protocol, limited only at this time to Somfy control units, not open to being controlled by a home automation system like Control4. This might change, but for now, RTS looks like it is still Somfy's wireless approach in North America.

Couple of questions for those knowledgable.

With the 16 Channel UTRSI II interface, is there a free driver to utilize this or is it a paid driver? If it's a paid driver, who is the creator/publisher?

What is the MSRP for the 16 Channel UTRSI II interface?

I paid a TON for the interface, and if there's a paid driver to go along with it I'm going to be tempted to return it and buy the unit linked above with utilizes relays. These are, for now and the foreseeable future, my only Somfy motors so 16 channels is certainly overkill. Thanks in advance.

38 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Couple of questions for those knowledgable.

With the 16 Channel UTRSI II interface, is there a free driver to utilize this or is it a paid driver? If it's a paid driver, who is the creator/publisher?

What is the MSRP for the 16 Channel UTRSI II interface?

I paid a TON for the interface, and if there's a paid driver to go along with it I'm going to be tempted to return it and buy the unit linked above with utilizes relays. These are, for now and the foreseeable future, my only Somfy motors so 16 channels is certainly overkill. Thanks in advance.

free in the online driver database

http://drivers.control4.com/solr/drivers/browse?&q=&fq=manufacturer:"Somfy"

• 1 year later...

Hi. I went the cheapest route and used the Wi-Fi module mysomy. Range is an issue on it so if you have multiple rooms you going to need multiple units. Wi-Fi range to them is an issue too - ended up mounting next to the Wi-Fi router. Works for me though. 

• 1 year later...

i am in the usa.  bought a house that has somfy to control the blinds. also have control4 system. the blinds work using the remotes, but the control4 buttons on the wall that are supposed to operate the blinds do not work. contacted control4 and they said that the blinds are all programmed and the buttons should work. THEY DON'T - they said that I could try programming them myself and sent this link:  https://www.somfypro.com/documents/531668/15106625/URTSI+Instructions.pdf

But that doesn't appear to be helpful at all because they already work using the remotes.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?  what I could do to get the control4 wall buttons to work?

Thanks

11 minutes ago, gldnk9 said:

i am in the usa.  bought a house that has somfy to control the blinds. also have control4 system. the blinds work using the remotes, but the control4 buttons on the wall that are supposed to operate the blinds do not work. contacted control4 and they said that the blinds are all programmed and the buttons should work. THEY DON'T - they said that I could try programming them myself and sent this link:  https://www.somfypro.com/documents/531668/15106625/URTSI+Instructions.pdf

But that doesn't appear to be helpful at all because they already work using the remotes.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?  what I could do to get the control4 wall buttons to work?

Thanks

do you know how they are supposed to be connected? Serial? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.