C4 Forums | Control4

POE Hub Success?

shakaZOLO

If you have had success using any POE hubs, can you please post here? Looking make, model, price and features.

Personally, I have tried the NetgearProSafe™ 16 Port 10/100 Desktop Switch with 8 Port PoE Model FS116P, cost was about $200.

I am having some issues with one of the touchscreens in the system and am not sure if it has to do with the power loads from this hub or some other problem. It's such a well priced unit and has 4 POE ports which is perfect for small installations.

Thoughts.

shakaZOLO

We will be using a Unicom POE-32008T 8 Port Power over Ethernet Injector Hub for an installation with multiple MTS's. I will update if we have any problems. I mention for anyone using ADI distribution, you should be able to get it through them. Unicom also has a single POE injector. I have NOT used it yet. Any feedback from anyone on this model?

OK - I don't normally like to recommend products - but the Linksys (ok - I hate Linksys - but this is really Cisco technology) SRW224P is a 24 port with all ports supporting POE at half capacity (I think that's 7.5 volts) or only 12 ports at full (15 volts?). It's managable - so I can log into it remotely and see what's going on on a network (traffic etc..) - plus I can seperate networks and traffic... thus I can have two seperate networks (customers computers and then the Control4) by using VPN's. It's a GREAT product, had no problems - little loud though (but we usually are installing this stuff in closets / racks that are NOT in the Theater room - so this doesn't bother us).

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with slemay on 2 counts:

OK - I don't normally like to recommend products - but the Linksys (ok - I hate Linksys - but this is really Cisco technology) SRW224P is a 24 port with all ports supporting POE at half capacity (I think that's 7.5 volts) or only 12 ports at full (15 volts?). It's managable - so I can log into it remotely and see what's going on on a network (traffic etc..) - plus I can seperate networks and traffic... thus I can have two seperate networks (customers computers and then the Control4) by using VPN's. It's a GREAT product, had no problems - little loud though (but we usually are installing this stuff in closets / racks that are NOT in the Theater room - so this doesn't bother us).

Great value for the product - 24 manageable poe ports for $455 MSRP. It is a bit on the loud side (only negative in my opinion).

Ingram Micro

Great distributor. Always on time, and have knowledgeable staff. Tip: write down account number, and supplier extensions when you learn a new one, and keep handy for future calls. They have 100's of suppliers, thus 100's of extensions. It makes getting info that much easier.

I typically buy my computer "junk" from Ingram Micro as well, but like V3 I have seen many times their wholesale prices are even more expensive than the retail price at the local Radioshack. I bought my last netgear POE hub from Ingram Micro and it worked great.

Blake

• 10 months later...

We here in the UK are looking to run some tests on POE switches first unit to test is the Netgear FS116P we are planning to incorporate IP telephony & C4 devices through such a device so hopefully will be pushing it somewhat....i will report any findings.

peter

Netgear stuff works great. All of the ports generally work perfectly, you definitely will not be pushing it. If you are using Cisco phones you may have to make a special jumper cable since the older units are not standard POE compatible.

Dan

Archived