C4 Forums | Control4

SmartThings has an iOS widget...

turls

• 3 months later...

I just realized what you meant with this. Yes, having the Control4 app show up on the iOS control screen would be a real plus. Even better would be putting HomeKit in the controller. If Lutron can do it, why not C4.

I may have some "small insight" into this.  Apple is a BEAST when it comes to official HomeKit compliance.  Even if you don't use the official Apple encryption chip in your hardware (which was a non-starter for C4), you still have to be part of the MFI program and get your hardware "HomeKit approved" (a lengthy non-trivial and not-inexpensive process) if you're going to sell commercial hardware with HomeKit compatibility.  

Given the way I've setup my solution, I sidestep most of those issues.

On the technical side, it would not be "simple".  HomeKit requires Bonjour, and that's just to start.  It would require writing a fairly large amount of code.

1 hour ago, Joshua Pressnell said:

you still have to be part of the MFI program and get your hardware "HomeKit approved" (a lengthy non-trivial and not-inexpensive process) if you're going to sell commercial hardware with HomeKit compatibility

Lutron's $80 smart bridge makes a profit. My gut tells me C4 doesn't want to share the wealth. I think it is short-sighted, personally.

Maybe. People have also been complaining about C4’s “closed business model” for years and they’re still around and still using the same model. At the end of the day, C4 will decide what makes sense for them. 

I’m happy to fill in the gap... it’s certainly something I enjoy doing, and a lot of people have been interested in it. 

Archived