C4 Forums | Control4

Pentair Pool Integration

ejn1

Hi all,   I have been doing research on how to integrate a Pentair pool into C4 and its not completely clear to me so appreciate any advice.    I have pool with a Pentair EZtouch system installed.  So I already have a wireless Pentair EZtouch remote connected.   I'm thinking I don't need to do any additional wiring to the Pool controller which would be difficult but not sure which Pentair parts I would need to add to get integrated?   Do i need to buy an entire Screenlogic Wireless connection kit (which the outdoor wifi looks like what i have) or just the indoors transceiver?   

Many thanks.

Every pool that I've integrated needed a wire to the controller to either provide a network connection or to use rs232.

It also has to be a unit that allows for integration.

I don't recall ever seeing a pentair EZ touch driver so that could also be a limiting factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, ichbinbose said:

Every pool that I've integrated needed a wire to the controller to either provide a network connection or to use rs232.

It also has to be a unit that allows for integration.

I don't recall ever seeing a pentair EZ touch driver so that could also be a limiting factor.

Thanks.   I think i have it understood for the scenario running a wire to the control unit.   This seems fairly straight forward.   The other scenario that is less clear is using the existing Pentair wifi used for EZtouch remote to broadcast to a Pentair transceiver, then the transceiver integrates into the home network (or maybe even rs232)...   Pentair sells an entire Wireless Package for its Screenlogic system but the wireless receiver looks identical to the one i already have installed.   There are several parts to buy or that you could buy so wanted to make sure i get it right.   My sense is that others must have installed in some situations without a direct cable connection.   Still searching for some advice in this scenario. 

My best advise is to install a verifiable pool controller that has a ip driver available.

This will then allow for a easy integration and also provide an app for further control.

I would also contact the manufacturer of your existing pool controller to see if third party integration is even a possibility with your current model to make sure your not on a wild goose chase

12 minutes ago, ichbinbose said:

My best advise is to install a verifiable pool controller that has a ip driver available.

This will then allow for a easy integration and also provide an app for further control.

I would also contact the manufacturer of your existing pool controller to see if third party integration is even a possibility with your current model to make sure your not on a wild goose chase

Integration is definitely possible...  See Pentair part numbers below.    My question was really around the wireless connection which they have an entire kit for (p/n 521964).  I was just hoping part of the kit I already had installed given my system already has the wireless pentair controller...

From Pentair website:

"Note: The above ScreenLogic Interface Kits (520500 and 520502) require a four-wire, 22-gauge wiring connection from the IntelliTouch or EasyTouch Controller Load Center COM port to the protocol adapter within the home. The ScreenLogic2 Interface Wireless Connection Kit (P/N 521964) can be used to eliminate the need to run this wire where impossible or impractical to do so."

23 minutes ago, electrician9421 said:

Control4 does not work with the easytouch has to be intellitouch panel i7 or higher

I believe I have the latest intellitouch panel but didn't see anywhere in the Screenlogic2 manual the distinction above?   I don't even see i7 in the model numbers.... Is this a firmware version of the intellitouch board?

I just went through the wireless connection kit again and it appears you have to purchase the entire kit as the wifi unit that goes outdoors has a code that matches the indoor transducer so this would imply you have to get the entire kit.    As for C4 integration, I need to figure this out still....

38 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

I believe I have the latest intellitouch panel but didn't see anywhere in the Screenlogic2 manual the distinction above?   I don't even see i7 in the model numbers.... Is this a firmware version of the intellitouch board?

You need to confirm which panel you have.  Initially you thought it was EZ touch now you think it's intellitouch.  That's going to make all the difference in the world. 

5 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

You need to confirm which panel you have.  Initially you thought it was EZ touch now you think it's intellitouch.  That's going to make all the difference in the world. 

Thanks, typo,  its EZtouch....  and I have the wifi already installed for the Pentair wireless remote.    I just got off the phone with Pentair and they confirmed that I will have to add separate wifi module outdoors as suspected as its paired specifically with their indoor transducer.  The whole kit with the protocol adapter is s/n 522104.  

21 minutes ago, ichbinbose said:

The only pentair driver is for the Intellitouch i9+3. So unless you have that as well ( which is actually right on their website) you aren't going to get very far

Thanks, so no one has integrated a Pentair EZtouch panel into C4?  I ask I have had this panel for almost 10 years so this would rule a lot of Pentair systems out from C4.  Maybe a paid driver is avail?

3 minutes ago, ichbinbose said:

Look at the picture i posted. You can integrate but you need the intellitouch part as well

Thanks,  that was the screen i cut and pasted from back to you earlier :)   The pentair rep said that you can buy the wireless kit together with the protocol adapter and its part number 522104.   You can get the wireless kit you posted in your pic but then you have to add the protocol adapter separately.   Appreciated.

22 minutes ago, electrician9421 said:

Control4 will not work with an Easy touch panel regardless if you have the protocol adapter or not I have been that route.

That's good to know.   I'm surprised as C4 I thought advertised enhanced pool interface with 2.9 and I thought they specifically mentioned Pentair.   Easy touch is likely the more popular panel in the last 10 years I would think.

There is a new pool interface, and they do integrate with Pentair, but not directly with the EZ touch panel.  There has to be something to communicate with to integrate and that currently doesn't exist on the EZ touch.  Popular doesn't always make it better :)

40 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

There is a new pool interface, and they do integrate with Pentair, but not directly with the EZ touch panel.  There has to be something to communicate with to integrate and that currently doesn't exist on the EZ touch.  Popular doesn't always make it better :)

You're right but popular typically means more potential buyers and more money to be made for developing something...  It's only been about 10 years since that EZtouch is out so maybe someone is getting around to it :)   Some of the stuff I've read is that the Pentair app for IOS and PC is really good so maybe not a big push to further integrate into C4.   

2 hours ago, ejn1 said:

You're right but popular typically means more potential buyers and more money to be made for developing something...  It's only been about 10 years since that EZtouch is out so maybe someone is getting around to it :)   Some of the stuff I've read is that the Pentair app for IOS and PC is really good so maybe not a big push to further integrate into C4.   

Pentair app is great! The only reason I use the C4 integration is for fun (definitely not necessary) and to schedule heat pumps (pool and jacuzzi) to go off and on when I am away on holiday and set a holiday variable to true or false in C4.

All other scheduling is easier and better from within the Pentair app itself.

There are two drivers for Pentair integration into C4. The free one (has a couple of bugs but does the job) and a Driverworks one (I think).  I had my dealer try and buy the latter one months ago but he never managed, so I have no idea if it is any good. As far as I know both require Intellitouch (as mentioned above).

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Dave in Balto said:

As far as connecting to it, just did my first one using a global cache wifi to rs232 and stuck a Ubiquity access point outside.

Damn, did you just connect the global cache rs232 directly to the pentair controller?  This for $100 you replaced the pentair $500 protocol adapter kit?   

Killing me i didn’t even check for a serial to wifi adapter......

Why is pool integration always so hard, so expensive and so incomplete?  The last time I looked into this it would cost between $500-$1000 to get my pool system connected and it wouldn't allow me to control my Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) nor would it give me the status from the SWCG such as salt level, Flow on/off, etc.  

On 7/7/2017 at 9:38 AM, zaphod said:

Why is pool integration always so hard, so expensive and so incomplete?  The last time I looked into this it would cost between $500-$1000 to get my pool system connected and it wouldn't allow me to control my Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) nor would it give me the status from the SWCG such as salt level, Flow on/off, etc.  

Well said

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.