C4 Forums | Control4

Recommend a Security Camera?

Hi I am looking for a standalone security camera for our front door.  I have PoE.  I need ample storage, cloud or otherwise, to save say a day or weeks worth of video.  Ideally it has a small physical footprint and not too ugly.  Can you recommend something?  Control4 integration would be nice but not absolutely necessary.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:31 AM, msgreenf said:

I recommend amcrest.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I am also considering a camera system for my house.

Is 1920 TVL (1080P) really worth it or recommended or should use something even better??

How is the nighttime video quality of the cameras??

Does the cameras should be cat5 (not coaxial cable)??

Thanks for the help!!!

1 hour ago, Bullseye said:

I am also considering a camera system for my house. Is 1920 really recommended??  How is the nighttime quality??

Does the cameras should be IP??

Any place you recommend to get them??

your questions are a little confusing and hard for me to understand

This is a good forum to learn more about IP cameras:  https://ipcamtalk.com/

They seem to like the Dahua Starlight and recommend turret cameras rather than domes as domes suffer from glare issues.  The Dahua Starlight perform very well in low light conditions.

Another thing to consider is running Blue Iris on a PC as Blue Iris integrates very nicely with C4 and it is very good and extremely flexible, not to mention very cheap for what it does.

• 2 months later...

I am with @msgreenf - you are way off.  The cameras that you mention are the ones that try to make things idiot-proof for the lowest commond denominator.  There are much better cameras available for specific purposes, especially for night vision.  Check out the website that I mentioned above.

I am with [mention=129290]msgreenf[/mention] - you are way off.  The cameras that you mention are the ones that try to make things idiot-proof for the lowest commond denominator.  There are much better cameras available for specific purposes, especially for night vision.  Check out the website that I mentioned above.
1000% what he said.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm also in the market for external security cameras for our new home. Our installer is recommending only analytics based cameras very expensive 500 - 1500. Only found few blogs. How about Hikvision or Luma or Visualint?? Any recommendations or experiences? Any other brands that work well with C4?? 

1 hour ago, Jigs said:

I'm also in the market for external security cameras for our new home. Our installer is recommending only analytics based cameras very expensive 500 - 1500. Only found few blogs. How about Hikvision or Luma or Visualint?? Any recommendations or experiences? Any other brands that work well with C4?? 

Hikvision, Dahua, Lilin.  If you want entry level, low budget, DIY... then try Amcrest.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:11 AM, balanchine said:

With all respect, I don't recommend any of the security cameras mentioned above. Today, the leading products in this industry are Nest Cam Outdoor, Ring Stick Up Cam and Arlo Pro. If you want a functional device, you must choose between them.

Pluss, Blink XT is quite promising and stay away from Canary and Piper. 

Wireless cameras will never be a real solution in my eyes in a professional setup. Wired is the only way to go for mission critical areas. I do like them for convince and when left with no other choice, but integration and video options are very limited. Ring being the only one that can integrate into control4, and at this time that is only for motion and ring events, no video.

for wired cameras Lilin, and Luma are my go to selections. I personally use Hikvision at home and just live with the downsides that comes with them, but they work with control4 and i can get video thats all i really want any ways.

Archived