C4 Forums | Control4

Volume Control & Set Volume, Help

becnel51

Evening all, could use some help / guidance:

I'm using the Epic Systems Google Home Driver, to setup voice commands. Currently working on volume control. Having a weird issue, were the command is being sent and updated on the C4 app, but the AV Receiver (audio device / output for the room) for the room, is not adjusting the volume via that command. See attached pic's. 

You can see the macros / programming, then see the app adjust to the command, and then see the Lua output for the Receiver.  The command is accepted, executed, and updated in the C4 app, but the AV Receiver kicks back "(a nil value)".... hence does not adjust the room volume accordingly. 

Has anyone run across this before? Any suggestions?

P.S. Shout out to @chopedogg88 amazing driver, recommended it to anyone looking to integrate Google Home. 

Set LV Volume Macro.PNG

Google Home Set Volume.PNG

Volume Via C4 app.PNG

LV Receiver Lua Output.PNG

For those who may be facing this issue, via the Epic Systems Alexa or Google Home Driver, below is a reply form Ari / @chopedogg88:

"yeah this is because the AV receiver's driver doesn't allow for discrete volume setting.  best bet is to use some conditional logic to check for the main levels that you plan to use most often, and then set the volume accordingly.

you can use the single-line programming method when using a c4 amp, works perfectly...but AVR's are a different animal."

Hope this info, helps others. Once again, @chopedogg88 with the quick customer support, the guy is a beast. Thanks again. 

It's controlled via serial.  I looked at the driver limitations:

DRIVER LIMITATIONS:
This driver only supports volume control when the recevier VOLUME DISPLAY setting (menu item 7.4) is set to its default setting of "RELATIVE" (dB mode).  "ABSOLUTE" (0-100 step mode) is not supported over RS232.

That's the ip driver. Try programming the room volume to set to 15 % when audio changes in  the room with the avr.  That will tell you if it works. I'm not at my laptop. Did you set up the avr according to documentation? All steps followed?

@dcovach just want to make sure we are on the same page. The AVR and volume control, work perfectly via the C4 app, for any and all functions for the room.  I can launch any source (Roku, Xbox, and so on...) and control the volume for any source via the C4 app, and remote control. The receiver responds appropriately this way. 

The very specific problem / issue I'm having, is when using the Epic Systems Google Home driver, to "Set" volume levels for the room via voice command....Hence for example:

"Set Game Room->CURRENT_VOLUME to the value of Google Home->SET_VALUE_NUMBER"

Not sure if my thinking on this is correct but it seems when controlling the room volume outside of the Google Home commands / integration, all I'm doing is essentially raising or lowering the volume (via the C4 app and/or remote). The Receiver can accept and interpret this correctly. But when I'm using the Google Home, verbal "Set" command, and attempt to set the room volume to the "Google Home->SET_VALUE_NUMBER"..... the Receiver... and only the Receiver can not accept / respond to this correctly. 

Via response from @chopedogg88 "yeah this is because the AV receiver's driver doesn't allow for discrete volume setting.  best bet is to use some conditional logic to check for the main levels that you plan to use most often, and then set the volume accordingly."

Like @chopedogg88 and @sonic30101, I believe the best way to address this is... Conditional Logic statements. I have verified that the AVR does respond correctly to Conditional Logic statements, via Google Home Set voice commands. 

Can you elaborate a little more on what you are suggesting I try? Do you think this would be a workaround that would allow the: "Google Home->SET_VALUE_NUMBER" commands to work, without having to do several / numerous conditional logic statements?

FYI, just wanted to say Thanks to everyone for all your replies. I'm still very "Green" at this, and I appreciate all the help, suggestions, and patience. 

Not 100% sure but this is how I interpret what was happening when I played with that as well. 3rd party receivers dont seem to react to unsolicited feedback changes with the volume percentage of the C4 room value. You have to change the discrete volume of the receiver itself and then the c4 room volume percentage will update what it changed to. And maybe when C4 ramps the volume with the remote or app it is not changing the room percentage but the receiver and the percentage updates accordingly.

Which is why i did the conditional statements and changed the receiver itself

That was a really good explanation. What I was getting at was does discreet volume setting actually work on your avr without needing up and down presses with a nav or c4 remote?  I typically use a c4 matrix amp and I can voice command a room volume % to set in an audio zone using@chopedogg88 amazon echo driver. This works because the C4 matrix amp has discreet room volume control.  It is simpler for programming starting volume levels or voice setting volume levels with the amazon echo driver.

Basically I was asking if you've tested this. In composer, can you choose a volume level (say 20%) and will the avr volume jump immediately to that level with one command?  Now can the room volume (where the avr is) be discreetly set with programming?  

Just some basic troubleshooting, if i make a custom button for my family room to change the current volume to 20 the percentage will change but the receiver does nothing (i can change it discretely if i go to the receivers driver and set to 20 just not the rooms current volume section), if i do for the kitchen which is driven by an 8 zone matrix amp the percentage and output volume changes at once so there seems to be a difference in how they act

Same results here. 

Full Voice Control for Receiver (probably true for many, but maybe not all receivers) = Conditional Logic, via "Volume" then "Set" then "#"  commands to Receiver

Zone Martix Amp & other Devices with true Discrete Volume Setting = Single Command line, via "Google Home->SET_VALUE_NUMBER" for all volume settings. 

@sonic30101, @dcovach, @chopedogg88, Had some work travel come up with the recent weather in TX. I"ll be out of town for a week for so....

Would someone be able to try the driver that Chopedogg88 shared, and let us know if you have any success with it? I intend to give it shot whenever I get back, and have time... just keeps getting delayed. Sorry about that Chopedogg88. 

• 1 month later...

Trying to set this up today using the Universal_Volume_Manager. There isn't any info of the documentation. Was there a deployment guide on technet.  There doesnt seem to be a way to make a connection. so I went to actions and hit list ID's. found the receiver  ID: 300 type: 6 name: Denon AVR-X1400H. I then went to Priorities and set the ID of the receiver to 300? and you can only go up from 4000 on the output ID. Am I doing this properly?

Archived