C4 Forums | Control4

Ideas for how to use the telephone ring detector?

akg4y

I was wondering if anyone has implemented the telephone ring detector, and if so, what ideas for how to use it people have come up with?

So far Ive heard about the following:

1) Turn down sound etc on the home theater

2) Play a specific mp3 over the whole house audio

What would be other fun/good uses for it?

• 2 weeks later...

I use it in my theater to flash a light so I know the phone is ringing and I have the doorbell flash a different light if the doorbell is rung, works great when you have a loud movie on and would never hear the door or phone

Hasnt been done yet but basically we'll just be following the wiring diagram as seen on the card-access site:

http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/inhomeproducts/index.php?a=idp

The install guide at the bottom of the page lays it out. Essentially Ill have my front doorbell connected to one of the ELK-930s which then goes to one set of contacts on a wireless contact switch, and Ill have the rear doorbell just connected directly to the other set of contacts on the wireless contact switch (so I can trigger a different event for front/back doorbell) and then have an external temperature sensor as the third contact on the wireless contact switch.

The main reason I am doing it is to trigger my TVs to turn on and show the front door & back door cameras if the doorbell is triggered.

You can purchase a 2 line caller id box with a serial port for $249.00 (US retail) from

http://www.callerid.com/. This box interfaces with Control4 and can display the caller id information

in a pop up window.

Do you know if this would work with Vonage?

Does the driver for C4 already exist?

You know how I bet it would work with vonage? Regular phones work off the two ports on the Vonage router, right? Plug it in there.

Yes, but the question is really *does Vonage* send CallerID information out the ports on the Vonage router?

If so, then yes, this should work with it.

Yes, there is already a driver for Control4. Your dealer can add it to your project.

RyanE

Vonage MUST send caller ID info out the ports - or your phones wouldn't know about the ID coming in. It's all based on standards setup years ago - Vonage must adhere to those as well if they expect you to be able to purchase any phone, plug it in, and have it work.

As slemay said, Vonage does send CallerID information out the ports on the Vonage router. I think I may pick one of these up. Which one do I need exactly? They have several options. I have two phone lines, but would probably only hook this up to one.

Thanks guys.

I think the smallest unit can do 2 phone lines.

Yes, but the question is really *does Vonage* send CallerID information out the ports on the Vonage router?

If so, then yes, this should work with it.

Yes, there is already a driver for Control4. Your dealer can add it to your project.

RyanE

Yeah, it does, I forgot to mention that I've been using Vonage for three years with regular cordless phones and callID works fine.

• 4 years later...

My installer put in the telephone/doorbell ring detector system. However, the telephone side of the system flashed the lights and put a message on the TVs every time anyone picked up any of the telephones in the house. They (the installers) called Control4 in ane effort to find out why this was happening and were told that is how it is supposed to work.

Doesn't make much sense to me- I dont want lights flashing when someone goes to use a telephone, so had them take that part of the package out of the system.

Has anyone else tried this system yet, and can you confirm that this is actually how it is supposed to work?

Many thanks.

This is really going to depend on what system you're talking about.

A 'ring detector' shouldn't trigger when phones in the house are picked up, if it's wired properly, as it's purpose is to detect *rings*, not *answers*.

Not to pass off blame, but it sounds like the ring detector (or installation) is to blame, not the programming attached to the ring detector.

RyanE

I have seen the ELK do this in one instance where there was a tele-doorbell installed. What happened was that when the phone was picked up, the integration piece would essentially ring the intercom - causing it to trigger.

Perhaps something similar is happening for you?

In the above case it was fixed by setting the teledoorbell to ring the intercom using a "code" instead of automatic by the way.

Well, it seems that the telephone ring deterctor will not work with a cable-based telephone system (this according to CardAccess). Apparently when the cable company converts their signal into something recognized by "normal" telephones they do not end up with the "ring" and "tip" lines the ELK ring detector needs.:(

• 2 weeks later...
I'm using a cable based phone provided by my cable co and the ELK module works on my system so I'm not sure they are 100% correct

Could you explain how the wiring is done using a cable based phone? I'm using Google Voice. Which by the way is awesome, I have custom voicemail greetings for certain phone numbers and a widget on my android that does voice to text -- basically free visual voice mail. Sorry to for the tangent, but I would love to utilize the Elk for my Google Voice number at home.

I'm using a cable based phone provided by my cable co and the ELK module works on my system so I'm not sure they are 100% correct

Could you explain how the wiring is done using a cable based phone? I'm using Google Voice. Which by the way is awesome' date=' I have custom voicemail greetings for certain phone numbers and a widget on my android that does voice to text -- basically free visual voice mail. Sorry to for the tangent, but I would love to utilize the Elk for my Google Voice number at home.[/quote']

Do you use a device like Obi for an ATA?

Could you explain how the wiring is done using a cable based phone? I'm using Google Voice. Which by the way is awesome' date=' I have custom voicemail greetings for certain phone numbers and a widget on my android that does voice to text -- basically free visual voice mail. Sorry to for the tangent, but I would love to utilize the Elk for my Google Voice number at home.[/quote']

Yes, I'm currently using Obi.

Yes, I'm currently using Obi.

I would think the elk work work with the obi

I just wired it in with a Y adapter and a short section of phone cord and followed the ELK instructions, sorry I cant get to it to check connections anymore

Archived