C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 and MQTT?

zaphod

I have to give huge props to David been running his drivers for MQTT since early days and even since then been using it on some pretty sensitive equipment i.e. my solar farm running my house that publishes to MQTT.

His support willing to add features and help directly has been nothing short of phenomenal so thank you David!

The MQTT driver just opens up the world of C4 to so much more

Regards
Carlos

3 minutes ago, ILoveControl said:

I have to give huge props to David been running his drivers for MQTT since early days and even since then been using it on some pretty sensitive equipment i.e. my solar farm running my house that publishes to MQTT.

His support willing to add features and help directly has been nothing short of phenomenal so thank you David!

The MQTT driver just opens up the world of C4 to so much more

Regards
Carlos

I couldn’t agree more, this is a must have driver and IMHO it’s much better than IFTTT! The world around IOT evolved so fast and Tasmota/ESPurna became the defacto standard these days, thumbs up 👍

• 3 months later...
On 9/16/2020 at 3:36 PM, appliedautomation said:

I am a control4 dealer and i have just found download links for them all now thanks.

I'll contact David as well.

Thanks

This is a must have driver if you want to tackle the MQTT world, and oh boy it’s a huge world 🤪

2 hours ago, appliedautomation said:

We only required MQTT to publish data to ThingsBoard. I ended up writing our own driver last night to do this instead and its working well so far.

Curious about what you are doing with Thingsboard. What data are you publishing and how are you using it on the Thingsboard side?

On 9/18/2020 at 2:41 PM, Pounce said:

Curious about what you are doing with Thingsboard. What data are you publishing and how are you using it on the Thingsboard side?

Temperature logging was the main thing, then displaying this on a T3 using a webview. 

We usually use thingsboard for logging data from control and monitoring systems on board yachts.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Amr said:

Did any one tried a flashed Sonoff Zigbee Bridge yet? It’s very convenient device, am still looking for a way to map Zigbee devices to work with C4 ...

Zigbee devices can be easily flashed https://bit.ly/38pQOxZ

@david@berto.co.uk is working to add this bridge (and other brands) to his driver. By enabling C4 to integrate to zigbee2mqtt or zigbee2tasmota, we will have more options for motion & temperature sensors, windows & doors contacts, buttons & switches from Sonoff, IKEA, Xiaomi Mi and more.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:47 AM, Zuhair said:

Zigbee devices can be easily flashed https://bit.ly/38pQOxZ

@david@berto.co.uk is working to add this bridge (and other brands) to his driver. By enabling C4 to integrate to zigbee2mqtt or zigbee2tasmota, we will have more options for motion & temperature sensors, windows & doors contacts, buttons & switches from Sonoff, IKEA, Xiaomi Mi and more.

Yes, I did it already and flash it with 9.2, am tinkering around and trying adding some Zigbee Devices, and it works! I will wait for David to come up with the way like he did with the RF Bridge and its really lovely, however, RF is Hit/Miss, doesn't work from first time and it has to do with a lot of things like, RF Network coverage, Interferences, etc.  Zigbee is solid rock and I really need to integrate Xiomai Great Zigbee devices, its a dream to me ...

On a side note it will be ZB2Tasmota as this is a modified version of the ZB2MQTT to fit into 1MB ram of the ESP8266 chip.

On another side note, this method is now simplified and u just update ZB firmware from the Console in Tasmota with one Command, no Buttons, etc.  Also every one is focused into Home Assistance Integration which creates a TCP hook up for ZHA to Identify and hookup Zigbee devices, I don't believe David's implementation will do that.

2 hours ago, Zuhair said:

I'm using Sonoff ZigBee button SNZB01, Temperature & Humidity sensor SNZB02, Motion sensor SNZB03, and Ikea remote control.

Good to hear, I zapped my install, starting from scratch, finger 🤞, happy 2021 ...

45 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Is there any documenation on how all of this works, what you have to do (flash chips, etc) and how you get it implemented into C4, and what types of devices it will work with? 

First you have to decide between zigbee2mqtt or zigbee2tasmota on Sonoff Zigbee Bridge.

If you are using Sonoff Zigbee Bridge:

Hardware required:

• Sonoff Zigbee Bridge.
  • Raspberry Pi (to run the gateway & the MQTT Broker).
  • I've tested this setting  with Sonoff ZigBee button SNZB01, Temperature & Humidity sensor SNZB02, Motion sensor SNZB03

Installation:

1. Flash the Sonoff bridge with Tasmota, it's simple straight process, here's an example (https://youtu.be/aiUol1GQDlU). You'll also find other methods if you google the subject.
  2. You'll need to ask your dealer to install Berto drivers. Berto cloud, Berto gateway, and as many instances of Berto IOT Generic. Then you can continue with Composer HE.
  3. From the gateway driver click on the install the gateway, this will automatically setup the Raspberry gateway.
  4. Discover the gateway.
  5. Discover the devices.

On top of what Zuhair explained, my own tips:

1) Sonoff ZB bridge is the best as u can put it in the middle of the house and can provide u with a great coverage

2) Flash the Sonoff with 8.5.1 I had tons of issues with 9.2 and 9.1

3) You can have the setup without Raspberry Pi, if u have a synology NAS u can setup ur Mosquito server on it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.