C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 and MQTT?

zaphod

Thanks folks. I have an unRAID server that I use as a media server that also runs dockers for Unifi, PiHole, OpenVPN Server, SWAG, etc.As Amnr suggested, I bet you can use that. In fact, I actually have an MQTT broker installed when I played around with a couple of MQTT things a year or two ago, but I haven't really used it.

Is this a good site to see what devices are available? https://www.itead.cc/smart-home.html

Any other types of devices that you could use with MQTT?

14 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Thanks folks. I have an unRAID server that I use as a media server that also runs dockers for Unifi, PiHole, OpenVPN Server, SWAG, etc.As Amnr suggested, I bet you can use that. In fact, I actually have an MQTT broker installed when I played around with a couple of MQTT things a year or two ago, but I haven't really used it.

Is this a good site to see what devices are available? https://www.itead.cc/smart-home.html

Any other types of devices that you could use with MQTT?

You can use many devices with Tasmota, for example https://zigbee.blakadder.com/zigbee2tasmota.html

David is working on a universal driver that will cover almost any device in that list. For now all Sonoff Zigbee devices are good to go. 

I have these running:

I believe these devices will be added soon:

I'm also using these devices through MQTT/WIFI using the same drivers

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, nerddude said:

Can I use this Mqtt driver with home assistant?

Berto driver can integrate directly to Home Assistant and HomeBridge (to control all Control4 devices from HomeKit). And yes, you can use this MQTT with Home Assistant & HomeBridge.

On 1/17/2021 at 3:17 PM, Zuhair said:

Berto driver can integrate directly to Home Assistant and HomeBridge (to control all Control4 devices from HomeKit). And yes, you can use this MQTT with Home Assistant & HomeBridge.

I have zwave lighting connected to home assistant...wanted to integrated them with control4 using mqtt event

17 minutes ago, Amr said:

Any news anyone on the Zigbee front? Now Xiaomi, IKEA and Sonoff Devices are supported, much more to come ...

I'm using Berto driver with Xiaomi, IKEA, Aqaraand Sonoff zigbee devices. Tried the door/window contact, motion sensors, water leak, and Temperature sensors. I'm waiting for the Aqara and Xiaomi 1/2/3 gang zigbee switches to arrive.

By the way, the same driver will support TP-Link devices and Yeelight.

1 minute ago, Zuhair said:

I'm using Berto driver with Xiaomi, IKEA, Aqaraand Sonoff zigbee devices. Tried the door/window contact, motion sensors, water leak, and Temperature sensors. I'm waiting for the Aqara and Xiaomi 1/2/3 gang zigbee switches to arrive.

By the way, the same driver will support TP-Link devices and Yeelight.

How is the Door/Window contact? Is these small enough? Am looking for the smallest ever. Also Temperature sensors, do u get the readings out to C4 screens?

1 minute ago, Amr said:

How is the Door/Window contact? Is these small enough? Am looking for the smallest ever. Also Temperature sensors, do u get the readings out to C4 screens?

The Aqara/Xiaomi door/windows contact are small (1.6 X 0.8 X 0.4 in). I'm not sure about binding the temperature sensors, I'll have to check with my dealer.

Okay, now am Using LeakSmart Water Leakage Sensors without the HUB, this is just getting better and better, less hassle, also the Coverage for the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge is much much better than the LS HUB, way better and also the LeakSmart Extenders works as well ... I paid $120 for this shitty HUB that gets disconnected from my WiFi way too much, anyways evolution saves money ...

A major updating adding support for many more devices including TP-LINK and Yeelight.

Zigbee is now supported on the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge and Zigbee2MQTT installs.

The new IoT Gateway driver supports automatic downloadable plugins which means new devices no longer need a driver update.  As new devices become available the driver now checks it’s online database for a supported plugin and downloads as required.

Custom MQTT messages can now be posted to a RestFUL API endpoint to process payloads and return name/value pairs to feedback variable updates to Control4. Process messages and return updates in your own framework and language of choice on your own server.

Performance enhancements to the MQTT client has improved scalability and currently systems with 100+ Tasmota devices and 130+ Shelly devices are running in commercial production environments.

Tasmota 9.2 is now supported although Zigbee support appears more stable with 8.5.1.

A director restart is required.

This is a significant update and in some cases, dependent on devices in use, it may be necessary to clear exiting devices and setup again.

A vey big thank you to all those who provided beta testing, you know who you.

David

David,

I'd like to play around with Sonoff/Tasmota etc.  I'm trying to figure out a way to do a budget retrofit of motors to a load of mechanical roller shades. I also like the idea of using a few cheap Shelly/Sonoff devices in my own project - flood sensors etc.

Can you help me to understand what my 'starter pack' of hardware should look like (hub etc.) as well as drivers/software etc.

Thanks in advance.

22 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

David,

I'd like to play around with Sonoff/Tasmota etc.  I'm trying to figure out a way to do a budget retrofit of motors to a load of mechanical roller shades. I also like the idea of using a few cheap Shelly/Sonoff devices in my own project - flood sensors etc.

Can you help me to understand what my 'starter pack' of hardware should look like (hub etc.) as well as drivers/software etc.

Thanks in advance.

Lots of options on devices but my recommended would be Shelly 2.5, https://shelly.cloud/products/shelly-25-smart-home-automation-relay/ €20, in relay mode.  No need for MQTT broker if control and feedback is all from Control4.

I use Control4 dual relay blind driver, works a treat.

On 2/5/2021 at 11:55 PM, OceanDad said:

What about a hub ?  And I just need your driver ?

No need for a hub, the driver supports Shelly’s directly and you don’t need MQTT broker then. This is the most cost effective route for your shades!

10 hours ago, OceanDad said:

What about a hub ?  And I just need your driver ?

You only need the hub if you

a) Plan to use MQTT as the protocol for  Shelly/Tasmota devices

b) Want to integrate Flic buttons

c) Want to use Zigbee2MQTT 

d) Use a RestFUL HTTP endpoint to have your own code interpret custom MQTT messages. You can create your own endpoint service, the hub install has an example setup.

if you have lots of Shelly/Tasmota devices (30+) I would recommend MQTT as it very fast and provides instant real-time feedback. 

The Lifx, TP-Link, Yeelight and Sonoff DIY integration uses their own LAN protocols ie. does not require access to their own cloud setups.

Hi 

Are there any instructions to install the hub? I am trying to link to home assistant. 

I have set up a new Ubuntu 18.04 VM and put the ip and credentials into the actions menu but don't seem to see anything else happening. I think I am missing sometheing

Thanks 

10 hours ago, Jas0r said:

Hi 

Are there any instructions to install the hub? I am trying to link to home assistant. 

I have set up a new Ubuntu 18.04 VM and put the ip and credentials into the actions menu but don't seem to see anything else happening. I think I am missing sometheing

Thanks 

The VM needs to be accessible using SSH and the user needs to have sudo access without the need for its password.

Alternatively your can find the install script on the main controller in /mnt/internal/c4z/Berto_IOTGateway/hub/install.sh.

Awesome thanks, I now have it running. With the hub is the IOT_Gateway driver supposed to see all items in the hub or only select ones? I have some powerboards that have to use Tuya as they cannot be flashed with Tasmota. They are working via the hub but do not seem to be discovered in the gateway.

I have put the hub pin into the "Assist Pin Code" property. 

Thanks  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.