C4 Forums | Control4

T3 Touchscreen challenge WIFI

ejn1

Hi,  I have a T3 in my system that unfortunately has not ethernet connection so I have to go wifi.   I have had fairly consistent reboots and losing wifi issues with it from the start.   I have a fairly robust wifi network and have tried 2.4 and 5Ghz connections and the T3 reacts pretty much the same with either.   Are there any tricks that i'm missing to get more stability out of this connection?  Thanks in advance!!!

1 hour ago, milehighreb said:

Watching this. I have the same issue at one location. Excellent WiFi. Several WAPs with one very close to this touchscreen. 6 touchscreens at this residence and 3 are WiFi, all work fine except for this one. Great signal, but just horrible experience on this touchscreen.

My exact experience 

14 hours ago, ejn1 said:

Hi,  I have a T3 in my system that unfortunately has not ethernet connection so I have to go wifi.   I have had fairly consistent reboots and losing wifi issues with it from the start.   I have a fairly robust wifi network and have tried 2.4 and 5Ghz connections and the T3 reacts pretty much the same with either.   Are there any tricks that i'm missing to get more stability out of this connection?  Thanks in advance!!!

I have portable T3s running on wifi that I have zero issues with.  What kind of network gear are you using?  Also, I've seen issues like this if you have very good signal strength from multiple access points (over-saturating your wifi is a thing).  Also, doubt you tried 5G since T3s don't technically do 5G :)

2 hours ago, mstafford388 said:

I have portable T3s running on wifi that I have zero issues with.  What kind of network gear are you using?  Also, I've seen issues like this if you have very good signal strength from multiple access points (over-saturating your wifi is a thing).  Also, doubt you tried 5G since T3s don't technically do 5G :)

i have a ubiquiti home network with WAPs across the house.   Your comment about 5G sparked a thought to check something as i have a dedicated 5G SSID that this touchscreen was connecting to periodically albeit with weak signal and then it would revert back to 2G.    I noticed that on a far room WAP that I added after the fact that on that WAP I did not exclude the 2G bands on the 5G SSID :(   So I fixed that and now it wont at least try to flip to the 5G network which was really a far away WAP with 2G on it.     I dont know if that is the issue in the end but I will watch it and report back.   As the guy above posted, some T3's in his system are stable and some not so not sure.   Thanks for triggering the check as i thought the T3 was 5G capable since it was connecting to my 5G network (i thought).

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

most problems like this are the network.

a lot of times im sure.   In this case, you would think the T3 just sees 2 SSID's one with a stronger signal.   Not sure even in my example above why that should cause several drop outs on the T3.  

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

a lot of times im sure.   In this case, you would think the T3 just sees 2 SSID's one with a stronger signal.   Not sure even in my example above why that should cause several drop outs on the T3.  

The same reason it would cause drop-outs on your phones, on laptops and more. This is exactly why you wouldn't call multiple AP Wifi signals the same name, and part of why WiFi extenders are sucha  poor idea (just to note, this is DIFFERENT if you have a AP setup that handles it's own hand-off like you have). While ubiquity does the hand-off, it does NOT do that across different Ghz rated networks which still act as two individual setups

58 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

The same reason it would cause drop-outs on your phones, on laptops and more. This is exactly why you wouldn't call multiple AP Wifi signals the same name, and part of why WiFi extenders are sucha  poor idea (just to note, this is DIFFERENT if you have a AP setup that handles it's own hand-off like you have). While ubiquity does the hand-off, it does NOT do that across different Ghz rated networks which still act as two individual setups

agree.    i'm hoping this will improve its performance.  

On 9/14/2017 at 4:52 PM, ejn1 said:

your dealer should be able to get control4 to grab logs and check out whats happening.

2.10 they did improve  the wifi performance for t3 panels as well

15 hours ago, ejn1 said:

I have 6 UniFi AC-HD APs, and I use the same SSD across the house and I've never had wireless problems with my C4 system. One thing that you should probably do is either reduce the power signal on the APs to prevent overlap of the signal or you could use an app like WiFi Analyzer, which will show you the signal strength of all the APs around you, see how strong the signal is on the AP you want to connect to, and then setup the Minimum Signal Strength, or RSSI, for each AP. For example, if your signal strength is -70dBm on the AP you want to stay connected to, then set your Min RSSI to -75dBm, which will keep your T3 TouchPad from switching to another AP. You'll want to check other parts of the house too just to make sure there aren't any other clients that rely on the signal from the other AP and make sure that the signal strength on that client is below -75dBm, otherwise it may prevent other clients from connecting to the AP which rely on the AP for its signal.

If you set this up on every AP around the house, use a different channel for each one, and either change the output power from High (default) to minimum which will reduce the WiFi signal and eliminate overlapping signals, or use the Min RSSI feature on each AP, which you will find under Configuration, then Radios (where you set the channel and the power output of the AP), below the power settings for the 2.4Ghz band and below the power settings for the 5Ghz band is where you can setup the Minimum RSSI feature. One of these solutions will prevent every client in your house from trying to connect to multiple APs.

As CYknight said, think of your cell phone signal and what's happening when you're driving down the interstate using your phone, eventually, your phone will disconnect from one tower and connect to the next tower, which has a stronger signal, otherwise known as Fast Roaming or Zero Handoff on the Ubiquiti UniFi APs. It always makes sure you're connected to the AP with the strongest signal instead of trying to connect to another AP across the house with a much lower signal. I don't recommend using UniFi's Zero Handoff feature, although it with be seamless roaming from one AP to another, like being on a VOIP call and never dropping a call as you walk around the house, it requires you to set all of the APs to the same channel which could open up another host of problems. I switched my entire network to Ubiquiti products about 2-3 years ago, stopped buying the latest and greatest Linksys, Asus, Netgear, etc router with the most antennas, faster speed, newer features, etc, and I have never been happier running all UniFi products in my home. 

Another feature you might want to check out is the coverage map. You'll need a copy of your home's floorplan, upload it into the UniFi Controller, set the distance between 2 areas so it knows the scale of the floorplan, then drag and drop every AP onto the floorplan showing exactly where your APs are in the house, then at the top of the uploaded floorplan you can set any signal strength you want, and it will show you exactly what the coverage looks like in the house. You can use this feature to either see where the signals overlap, if they would still overlap if you dropped the power output down to medium from high, you'll be able to see if any APs should be relocated to fix any dead spots in the house, you can keep increasing/decreasing the signal strength of the APs so you know what to set the Min RSSI on, and you can do all of this for both the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz network. 

Once of these should definitely fix your problems. Sometimes, well every time, you choose to use multiple APs in your house, a little more planning goes into the layout of the network, the placing of the APs, and tweaking the signal strength or setting the Minimum RSSI to prevent clients from roaming from one AP to another even though the client may not be moving (this is from overlapping signals). Visit www.ubnt.com, click on Support, then select UniFi, and Ubiquiti has a lot of good information and tutorials showing how to optimally set everything up. It's well worth glancing over. 

Good luck, and sorry for writing a novel. It's difficult to describe how to fix network problems with just a few words. 

1 hour ago, rolldog said:

I have 6 UniFi AC-HD APs, and I use the same SSD across the house and I've never had wireless problems with my C4 system. One thing that you should probably do is either reduce the power signal on the APs to prevent overlap of the signal or you could use an app like WiFi Analyzer, which will show you the signal strength of all the APs around you, see how strong the signal is on the AP you want to connect to, and then setup the Minimum Signal Strength, or RSSI, for each AP. For example, if your signal strength is -70dBm on the AP you want to stay connected to, then set your Min RSSI to -75dBm, which will keep your T3 TouchPad from switching to another AP. You'll want to check other parts of the house too just to make sure there aren't any other clients that rely on the signal from the other AP and make sure that the signal strength on that client is below -75dBm, otherwise it may prevent other clients from connecting to the AP which rely on the AP for its signal.

If you set this up on every AP around the house, use a different channel for each one, and either change the output power from High (default) to minimum which will reduce the WiFi signal and eliminate overlapping signals, or use the Min RSSI feature on each AP, which you will find under Configuration, then Radios (where you set the channel and the power output of the AP), below the power settings for the 2.4Ghz band and below the power settings for the 5Ghz band is where you can setup the Minimum RSSI feature. One of these solutions will prevent every client in your house from trying to connect to multiple APs.

As CYknight said, think of your cell phone signal and what's happening when you're driving down the interstate using your phone, eventually, your phone will disconnect from one tower and connect to the next tower, which has a stronger signal, otherwise known as Fast Roaming or Zero Handoff on the Ubiquiti UniFi APs. It always makes sure you're connected to the AP with the strongest signal instead of trying to connect to another AP across the house with a much lower signal. I don't recommend using UniFi's Zero Handoff feature, although it with be seamless roaming from one AP to another, like being on a VOIP call and never dropping a call as you walk around the house, it requires you to set all of the APs to the same channel which could open up another host of problems. I switched my entire network to Ubiquiti products about 2-3 years ago, stopped buying the latest and greatest Linksys, Asus, Netgear, etc router with the most antennas, faster speed, newer features, etc, and I have never been happier running all UniFi products in my home. 

Another feature you might want to check out is the coverage map. You'll need a copy of your home's floorplan, upload it into the UniFi Controller, set the distance between 2 areas so it knows the scale of the floorplan, then drag and drop every AP onto the floorplan showing exactly where your APs are in the house, then at the top of the uploaded floorplan you can set any signal strength you want, and it will show you exactly what the coverage looks like in the house. You can use this feature to either see where the signals overlap, if they would still overlap if you dropped the power output down to medium from high, you'll be able to see if any APs should be relocated to fix any dead spots in the house, you can keep increasing/decreasing the signal strength of the APs so you know what to set the Min RSSI on, and you can do all of this for both the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz network. 

Once of these should definitely fix your problems. Sometimes, well every time, you choose to use multiple APs in your house, a little more planning goes into the layout of the network, the placing of the APs, and tweaking the signal strength or setting the Minimum RSSI to prevent clients from roaming from one AP to another even though the client may not be moving (this is from overlapping signals). Visit www.ubnt.com, click on Support, then select UniFi, and Ubiquiti has a lot of good information and tutorials showing how to optimally set everything up. It's well worth glancing over. 

Good luck, and sorry for writing a novel. It's difficult to describe how to fix network problems with just a few words. 

Thanks Rolldog.   You and I have a very similar system and approach.   I have setup my my AP's with wifi analyzer and have used many of the tactics and features you mention and I have been using their APs also for a couple of years.   Maybe the only difference with my system and yours is that I like to setup a dedicated 2.4 SSID and a dedicated 5GHz SSID rather than use band steering etc.   This way i can guarantee getting off of the congested 2.4Ghz freq for equipment that can do it.    On my T3, I think the issue was probably my error that I mentioned above.   I had added another AP to a far corner of the house and it was on the 5Ghz SSID but i had forgot to disable the 2.4 band on just that one AP.   So the T3 was connected back and forth to it and the SSID for the 2.4 and I was wrongly thinking the T3 was 5Ghz capable since it connected.

I haven't had a drop yet now that i fixed that AP but if I do then the next thing I will do is fix the T3 to one particular AP versus letting it roam. 

I do think however that the T3 has jumped around more than my ipads and other devices and you have seen others mention that 2.10 improved T3 wifi which indicates to me that something warranted improvement :) .   I will keep watch on the T3 and see how it does but so far its ok since i fixed that AP.

Also, is the default power High?  Mine are all on "Auto" setting and I thought that was default but not sure.

55 minutes ago, rolldog said:

Right, Auto is the default setting, but the power output is the same as high, 20dBm. Low is 5dBm, and Medium is 12dBm. Most people think Auto will dynamically adjust the power setting based on the surrounding interference from other APs, etc., but all it does is set the AP to High. 

Good to know...  I dont see the min RSSI setting only the ability to adjust power levels on the custom power settings...

10 hours ago, ejn1 said:

Good to know...  I dont see the min RSSI setting only the ability to adjust power levels on the custom power settings...

When you use the RSSI setting, you input the signal strength at which a client can connect. Anything above it, won't connect to that AP. 

The Power setting of the AP allows you to set it to Auto, Low, Medium, High, and Custom. You go to devices, click on an AP, go to Configuration, then Radios, and under channel width, you can select the power setting for that specific AP. Since you have them set to Auto, which is basically High, change the setting to Medium power, or Low. You can even set a custom power level to prevent 2 APs signals from overlapping. 

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

We have some problems with C4 T3 wireless touch screens.

If touch screen not on charging dock station, some times take a lot of time to “wake up”. Once it, can take 1 second another time more than 1 minute.
All wired touch screen work properly.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix that?

Many thanks,

Eliandro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.