C4 Forums | Control4

Comcast/Xfinity IP control

Does anyone know if an IP driver for the X1 boxes was ever released? There was a thread late last year but I didn't ever see anything about a driver released.  Maybe it's just for the newer integrator boxes?  I thought maybe there would be an update coming out of CEDIA, but haven't seen anything. Did Comcast announce this and then go dark on it like they did for their Samsung app?

• 1 year later...

Supported box models:

Arris XG1v1/v3/v4/rack mount (MX011AN/AC013AN/AX014AN/AX11RAN)

*more coming soon

Goto settings > about, look for 3.2p1 in the version and it should be ready for IP control, box must be hardwired  

wonder if this will work without a Comcast gateway 

19 hours ago, knowitall said:

Do you have your own modem or their gateway? I couldn’t get my box to get an IP. gonna exchange tomorrow for a new one

i have a surfboard and Araknis router 

I have my own modem - ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 and using the Asus AC1900 router.

Yep - the driver works great and I was also surprised to find out about it the way I did.  But glad its out and working.

Another note - its not that easy to enable IP control on the X1 box.  Takes a few tries.  I can't see a typical home owner doing it themselves so if they already have IR control, they may not care to upgrade to IP.

• 5 months later...
9 minutes ago, timc166293 said:

Hello! 

Can anyone please point me to directions on how to turn on / verify IP access?

Would I be using the Ethernet port out of the X1 Cable box?  I ask as I have another provider for Internet and use my own routing gear, UniFi.

Thanks!

the instructions are in the driver...

2 hours ago, timc166293 said:

Hello! 

Can anyone please point me to directions on how to turn on / verify IP access?

Would I be using the Ethernet port out of the X1 Cable box?  I ask as I have another provider for Internet and use my own routing gear, UniFi.

Thanks!

Even though the box I have has the right firmware version, apparently it doesn't support getting an IP address even after following the instructions. The box that does (for my area) doesn't have an output (red and white) for audio so I opted to not change boxes. This might be your issue. 

• 1 year later...

Anyone have advice on how to get the ip control on the xfinity box to work. I have one of the supported models and have the instructions from my dealer on how to enable it. After the box reboots it shows that ip control is true but the mac and ip addresses are blank. I have enabled it multiple times with the same result.

I know this is an old thread, just hoped someone might remember what they did to get it working in the past. Once I get an IP address I believe I can get my dealer to connect up the driver.

Thanks for any help!

6 hours ago, jeffh said:

Anyone have advice on how to get the ip control on the xfinity box to work. I have one of the supported models and have the instructions from my dealer on how to enable it. After the box reboots it shows that ip control is true but the mac and ip addresses are blank. I have enabled it multiple times with the same result.

I know this is an old thread, just hoped someone might remember what they did to get it working in the past. Once I get an IP address I believe I can get my dealer to connect up the driver.

Thanks for any help!

These are the instructions I received from someone when I was enabling my box.  Make sure you have the right firmware and set a static IP address or do a DHCP reservation.

VERIFY FIRMWARE VERSION:

1)  To find the Firmware version of your supported STB, use the About page:

* Go to Settings and scroll down to the About page.
   -or-
  * Using Xfinity Voice control, say "About" into the voice remote.

2)  Look for firmware with 3.2p1 in the tag line.

* Example – for an Arris Xg1v4, you should see this: AX014AN_3.2p1 . . . There will be additional letters/number in the build line, but as long as you see 3.2p1, the STB is ready for IP. As Firmware continues to upgrade, all builds after 3.2p1 will be ready for IP Control. Example - if you see 3.2p3 or 3.3, etc., the STB is ready for IP Control.

SETUP STEPS:

1) Activate IP Control on your STB (this requires the Xfinity Remote and an Ethernet connection to the SB):

* Press and Hold the Xfinity button for 3 seconds.
  * Press the "DOWN", "DOWN", "3" buttons.
  * This will open the STB Diagnostics Menu (there will be several seconds of lag while it loads).
  * Scroll down to 'Remote Controls' and select.
  * Scroll to IP Control and select.
  * With the Diagnostics IP Control page open:
    - Press and Hold "A" for 5 seconds.
    - Press "4", "7", "7" buttons ("I","P","R").
    - Press and Hold "A" for 5 seconds.
  * A message will tell you that you are activating IP Control and your STB will reboot.

2) After STB reboot, return to the Diagnostics Menu and return to the IP Remote section.  Verify that IP is enabled, and note the IP Remote LAN Address.

3) Setup a static IP Address registration in your router's DHCP menu (beyond the scope of this document).

4) Reboot the STB if necessary to obtain the new IP Address.

5) In ComposerPro's Connections -> Network Tab -> IP Network section, find the Xfinity X1 driver, and enter it's IP Address in the Identify Window.

6) In the Xfinity driver's Actions Tab, press the 'Pair to Xfinity X1' button.  This will pair Control4 with the STB.

7) In ComposerPro's Connections -> Control/AV tab, make appropriate A/V connections from the Xfinity X1 driver to appropriate endpoints.

😎 In ComposerPro, select File -> Refresh Navigators.

The Xfinity X1 STB should be controllable through Control4.

Thanks SY3. Those are the instructions my dealer gave me. When I do step 2 in the setup instructions the IP address and MAC are blank or show as unknown, but it shows as enabled. Anyone have any ideas?

1 hour ago, jeffh said:

Thanks SY3. Those are the instructions my dealer gave me. When I do step 2 in the setup instructions the IP address and MAC are blank or show as unknown, but it shows as enabled. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi @jeffh -

I think its a bug in the STB firmware. I just recently migrated from IR to IP control and had the same issue. I had to jump into my router to confirm that an IP address was assigned. As the directions say, its recommended to set a DHCP reservation to ensure that the IP address assigned doesn't change and cause the driver pairing to break. 

As long as IP Control shows enabled/true, and you can ping the STB, your dealer should be able to identify it in Composer and pair it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.