C4 Forums | Control4

MP3 encoding and organization

swoop19

I was wondering what the best software to use for the following is:

All music stored as MP3 on a network attached storage drive (or large hard drive in Desktop computer). I want to put a CD in my computer drive and rip it to the drive as MP3 (320). I want to be able to have it tagged correctly so that when scanned by the MC it gets the correct cover art and info. I possibly want to send all my MP3s through a program to volume match as well. What is everyone doing to properly maintain their music collection with the least effort? Thanks, Jeff

I know that I might get bashed by others, but Windows Media Player 10 is highly recommended. It has to be version 10 because version 9 does not rip to MP3, only WMA. I don't know whether it supports volume normalization out of the box however.

If you have a 'Net connection when you rip the CD, you can ask it to look for album details (Like Control4, it is also from AMG). It will correctly tag and name the files in a format that always seems to make it recognise correctly on the MC/HTC. Using this method, the MC/HTC have never failed to recognise a CD for me.

Other MP3 music that I have downloaded from the 'Net almost invariably requires a lot of massaging to get organised correctly.

I know that I might get bashed by others, but Windows Media Player 10 is highly recommended. It has to be version 10 because version 9 does not rip to MP3, only WMA. I don't know whether it supports volume normalization out of the box however.

I really like EAC - cause you can set it to correct errors while it rips and you can rip to wav if you'd like It took 6 hours to rip an awfully scratched disk - but result was good. It uses freedb to look up album info.

I tried using Media Player 10 in my new desktop, but it tells me that it can't rip to MP3 because it does not have an MP3 encoder. Is this worth chasing down an encoder or should I just use EAC?

i suggest EAC over Media Player. You will need to load Lame encoder - but install will give you instructions how to do it

What is with EAC? I tried it. I even used it before I started using Control4. The reason I swapped to the dreaded micro$oft media player 10 was because it produces ripped albums that have no trouble having cover art detected within Composer. I couldn't say the same about EAC. Results weren't as good as media player for me. YMMV.

mmmm. Lame.... What I use to convert all my flacs, apes and wavepacks into mp3s. I use the "--alt-present insane" setting. With classical music, I drop down to "--alt-preset extreme".

I tried using Media Player 10 in my new desktop, but it tells me that it can't rip to MP3 because it does not have an MP3 encoder.

No need. Just go into "Options" -> "Copy Music" tab. You should see mp3 as one of the list of four. You should not need to download any plugins, but it might be worthwhile to check windows update to see if there are updates to your version of wmp10.

Dude, try out EAC and lame regardless of what I say. This way you can get a feel for which option you like.

Also for mp3 tagging, I use Mp3-Tag Studio (freeware but kills other taggers) http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts/

Archived