C4 Forums | Control4

Prewire for new constructuion

Sharaabi

Hi,

We are constructing a new home and I was wondering how to prewire the garage doors.  We will have one EA-5 controller and we have two garages with 2 Liftmaster 8550 garage door openers that I would like to control.  We've got the rest of the wiring all settled, but the issue of the garage doors is still open.

Would 1 CAT6 from each motor to the EA-5 and 1 CAT 6 from each door sensor (total of 4 wires, 2 for contacts, 2 for relays) to the EA-5 be the correct way to prewire?  Would that even work with the Liftmaster 8550? 

The C4 dealer that is contracted with our builder indicated i needed to wire from motor 1 to motor 2 and from door sensor 1 to door sensor 2 for the pre-wire which confused me but I think they might be assuming i may go wireless with the card access garage door package.

Thanks in advance!

If you're using the garage door package, the sensors can operate more than 1 door, so, a wire from motor 1 to motor 2 and door 1 to door 2 makes sense. 

If you want to wire it 'normally', wire button 1 to motor 1 and sensor 1 to motor 1. Replicate for each door. C4 can still handle these, but it might take another contact relay (not that much money), but if you tear C4 out (not likely), or it goes out of date (might in 20 years), it's wired like your neighbor's house is, so whatever future tech can use it. If you do this, you can put a contact relay at each motor. Or you can homerun a wire to the EA-5.

Cat6 is not needed (but would work). 'Alarm/thermostat wire' would be sufficient, 4 conductors. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/22/2017 at 2:37 PM, Matt Lowe said:

keep in mind this only apply to motors that use interrupts for control. Digital motors common in MYQ will not work with external wiring easily.

This is the case for most new lift master motors. If you want ot use these pull a 4 conductor security wire to the button that mounts on the wall and some soldering will need to be done. In regards to the door sensor just put your typical rail sensor wired to a card access piece or wire back to controller

Archived