C4 Forums | Control4

WiFi Solutions

We currently have 4 airport expresses and 1 airport time capsule for our house however I’m still getting pretty bad WiFi. Not range though. Sometimes it just drops for a few minutes at a time and it’s becoming quite annoying as it is becoming more and more frequent. 

Would this be needing an upgrade to work? It’s a new C4 system and haven’t had it for more than a month. Sometimes our lights have a go slow as well. 

If we need an upgrade what would be looking at going for and what is the approximate price?

Thanks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who installed the airport expresses? Upgrading to a proper network can be costly, but Apple networking products have no place in a professionally integrated home.

It really depends on the size of your home and building materials (drywall vs plaster vs concrete). It could cost anywhere between 1k to 5k depending on the hardware.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Just now, Gix656 said:

Who installed the airport expresses? Upgrading to a proper network can be costly, but Apple networking products have no place in a professionally integrated home.

It really depends on the size of your home and building materials (drywall vs plaster vs concrete). It could cost anywhere between 1k to 5k depending on the hardware.

Our dealer did. 4,000sq foot. Three floors. 

3 hours ago, Gix656 said:

I would talk to your dealer about giving you a credit towards a better networking system.

Ditto.  There's a reason why Apple got out of the network equipment market.  They suck. 

Honestly I like to completely take over the network a d sell you a full setup,router switch, 3 access points, maybe a 4th access point if needed. The reason is I like full control of the network, this way we know it's set up correctly and will work correctly.

Depending on the size of your network and size switches you need, could be between 2500.00 5000.00 if you want a solid reliable network

I used to have google wifis all over my house for wifi, and a Verizon fios router for all of my hardwired connections, and just last week I had my installer bridge the fios router and use a luxul for all of my routing, and I also had him install ruckus access points in 4 locations.  There is no comparison in the two solutions.  I have 500gb internet, and with the google wifi, I was maybe getting 100mbs over wifi.  Now on speedtest, my wifi connection, pretty much everywhere in the house is 300-450 mb down and 350-350 up.  In addition, control 4 is buttery smooth and extremely fast now.  You will have to pay a bit more, but depending on how much you have going on in your house, it is well worth it.

Building a solid network is so important to automating your home.

We all have our devices we like to utilize, I prefer using araknis, they have been solid, pakedge, ubiquity are also solid choices.

When I build a network i try to minimize equipment, centralizing your wired network, and build a properly laid out wireless network. If I remember correctly using thjose airport expresses only gives you 10/100 If wired.

My advice is if whether you are looking to stream audio and video, build a gigabit network that can handle the throughput, within the network and get a internet service that can handle your household needs. If you chince  your network, your  streams suffer lesser quality streams.

I'm not looking to sell you on anything, just trying to give you advice, before you spend a few hundred dollars and hate the experience you are having with the entire system, because in the end, it's all tied together a.d only works as well as the crappiest parts in your system 

Not at all, 80 is quick enough for streaming audio and most video content. Your issue is more than likely interconnectivity/reliability between devices. As well as Apple devices don't make a mesh to help with hopping between APs and limited menu options 

I have had nothing but good experiences using capsule and expresses. I also am able to use it for movie and music storage which was a pleasant surprise. Picked up a $50 Popbox and now I’ve got MyMovies working flawlessly. 

I have had nothing but good experiences using capsule and expresses. I also am able to use it for movie and music storage which was a pleasant surprise. Picked up a $50 Popbox and now I’ve got MyMovies working flawlessly. 
Yes. People w kias do think that.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Trying to get back on topic...

What recommendations do you guys have devices wise? I am guessing we need 1 router and 4 AP (maybe 3 if the range is better on the ones suggested)

My gut says the Netgear switch should suffice for now but feel free to throw one in if need be.

Thanks!!

Trying to get back on topic...

What recommendations do you guys have devices wise? I am guessing we need 1 router and 4 AP (maybe 3 if the range is better on the ones suggested)

My gut says the Netgear switch should suffice for now but feel free to throw one in if need be.

Thanks!!

One existing airport with wifi off as the router after the cable / bt modem

One dumb / unmanaged switch. I like the PLANET ones. Maybe get one with POE. Unmanaged, no power is $100. Ditch the netgear if you want a working control 4 experience

3x ubiquity WAP get the proper POE/ pro onrs $160 each. 1 Ubiquity cloudkey $100.

Wire everything to the switch. Wire the switch to the airport and the airport to the WAN.

Follow ubiquity setup instructions.

Hardware is $580. Setup us your time. A dealer would likely charge a day of an experienced staff member $2k in these parts

This forum has gotten very stuffy. 
Nit being stuffy but being real. A strong highly reliable network is the necessary foundation for solid automation. Most Control4 support requests point back to the network as the issue.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

What size is your house, is it stick construction, masonry, steel?

I’m on board with those suggesting Ubiquiti UniFi gear but find it hard to believe you’ll need 4. Typical installs I do, in 3500-4000 sqft stick built homes, get two WAP’s. Those two provide coverage in every corner of the homes.

With that said I’d start with two, one mounted on top floor facing down and one in basement facing up. Then I’d get a USG Pro 4, Cloud Key, and you can keep your netgear switch. The WAP’s I’d do AC Pro.

Get on line and go to BalticNetworks to get the stuff. Done for under $1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want to consult your dealer first as just adding new network great could mess up your system. If your dealer has setup anything on wifi, static ip's or DHCP reservations it could cause some major issues.

Like I was saying, we all have our preferred gear we like to use, I can just say I have done a ton of full araknis setups, and none of my customers complain about thier networks, whatever you decide, just build a solid stable network otherwise your system can be a nightmare.

I am on my second C4 house and started with C4 about 10 years ago.

I have always used a SonicWall firewall router, SonicWall WAP’s and either higher end Netgear or Luxul switches and have never had a network problem that could not be easily solved.

My current house has two WAP’s with very good coverage thoughtout in both the 2.4 and 5 GHz ranges.

Although expensive, SonicWalls are highly configurable and they have expectional support, so even thought I am not a network guy, I can always setup a desktop share with SonicWall and have never had a problem we could not troubleshoot.

SonicWall allows you to watch traffic by any traffic you want such as port number, port type, IP, MAC ID.  This allows one to quickly the exact device that is cause a problem and also what port or protocol is the issue that needs to be address.

Your switch is probably just fine.  An appropriate SonicWall Router, two WAP’s and a three year service contract will probably cost you $2k, maybe a little more.  And with SonicWall support you will be able to set it up yourself as long as you know all of your C4 and related device IP’s and whether they are set to Static or set up to be statically assigned by the Router.

Good luck.

Archived