C4 Forums | Control4

Need faster Fire TV gui / menu control in C4?

videostorm

If you have used the standard C4 Amazon Fire TV driver, you have probably noticed that it is SLOW.

Why, because they are using ADB (Android Debug Bus) to send all commands (including button presses) to the device.  ADB is just slow, about 1 second to respond to anything.

We have a new device, IrUSB, that can provide IP control of the Fire TV (actually any Android device) menus with no lag at all.  

It works using the USB port as an IP controlled HID device (like a mouse/keyboard/etc), so it give instantaneous control via IP.   It also is a full IR transceiver, but that isn't needed for this function.

Anyone interested in this?  Should we take the time to put together the driver for it in C4?

http://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=irusb

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, videostorm said:

Ok, I'll put a driver together.

It would actually work for just about any device with a USB port, not just Android / Fire TV.

I would love to test.  I have plenty of VS products (Netplay with VRX and VTX and CMX Audio switch).  I have Fire TV's and I've had issues with the driver locking up and needing to reboot the FireTV.  Also notice the slow lagging experience as you mentioned.

Please let me know

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Home Theater Advisors said:

Also, do you think this will help the issue with the fire going to sleep and Control4 can’t wake it up? Will this driver be able to wake the Fire, since it isn’t using ADB?

Yes, it is actually our app that runs on FireTV (IrUSB app) that fixes this.  It keeps the FireTV awake all the time (technically it goes into low power mode, but still keeps the processor running).  Any menu command will turn the video output back on.

Ok, the driver is ready.

(driver "save as" file and put in docs control4 drivers)

You will need an IrUSB cable for this to work.  You can purchase these using the link in the first post above.

I have tested this using C4 to control both a Fire TV and nVidia Shield.  Works great here, super fast.

This driver also supports the TX IR extension function.  You can use both without interference.  (device controls FireTV menu AND and send IR control to your speaker bar etc)

8 minutes ago, videostorm said:

Ok, the driver is ready.

(driver "save as" file and put in docs control4 drivers)

You will need an IrUSB cable for this to work.  You can purchase these using the link in the first post above.

I have tested this using C4 to control both a Fire TV and nVidia Shield.  Works great here, super fast.

This driver also supports the TX IR extension function.  You can use both without interference.  (device controls FireTV menu AND and send IR control to your speaker bar etc)

so to use this driver you also have to have your app installed on the firetv? right?

57 minutes ago, videostorm said:

Correct.  The process is:

Install the IrUSB app on your device (from Amazon appstore or Google Play)

Connect the IrUSB hardware cable    (allow always permissions for App to use it)

Then add the driver in C4 and connect the IP and HDMI bindings

cool..but man, $11 shipping for one IR bud seems pretty high...

9 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

cool..but man, $11 shipping for one IR bud seems pretty high...

Eventually we will put these on Amazon to take advantage of their lower cost shipping.  Probably 6 months out on that.  Our shipping system is geared toward larger systems and it isn't efficient for small parcels yet.

Just now, videostorm said:

Eventually we will put these on Amazon to take advantage of their lower cost shipping.  Probably 6 months out on that.  Our shipping system is geared toward larger systems and it isn't efficient for small parcels yet.

gotcha...yeah....I guess order a bunch, lol

21 minutes ago, sally said:

Would love to test it and give feedback but $42.75 is a little steep for a dongle.  

Out of curiosity, what would you pay for this functionality?  This type of fast IP control doesn't exist elsewhere for us to price against.   As an IR extender, others are usually around $70-$100?

Sorry if that came across as critical.  I think the $29 price point is spot on.  Shipping is a little high.  For myself, the Fire TV driver needs to be updated but understand that may not be possible.  I already have a $50 Roku that works solid.  If I didn't have that, I wouldn't mind spending the extra cost.  I may still order this.

18 minutes ago, sally said:

Sorry if that came across as critical.  I think the $29 price point is spot on.  Shipping is a little high.  For myself, the Fire TV driver needs to be updated but understand that may not be possible.  I already have a $50 Roku that works solid.  If I didn't have that, I wouldn't mind spending the extra cost.  I may still order this.

Thanks for the feedback!

3 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Get them on Amazon and I will order tomorrow!

We don't have enough inventory right now for Amazon.  Still testing the market.  If enough demand then we can build large inventories for the multiple amazon warehouses (which is why that would be 6 months out).

Archived